Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Atlantis vs Shrek (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Atlantis vs Shrek
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-23-2001 12:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film-Tech'ers were correct in predicting the blockbuster status of The Grinch last winter...now it's time for the summer matchups.

Which looks like the bigger hit... Dreamworks' SHREK, or Disney's ATLANTIS?

My gut instincts tell me Shrek .... what do you all think?

|  IP: Logged

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2001 01:44 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I be the first to disagree and say Atlantis will out do Shrek.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2001 06:32 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw shrek last week at one of the national manager screenings. It's pretty good and has some good animation, but I think Atlantis looks like much more of an adult movie. I.E. a little 3 year old will not look the same way at Atlantis they way they do Shrek which has all the colorful characters and all the silly stuff, while Atlantis looks like a more serious movie that you might actually have to pay attention to the plot.

Jonathan Haglund
Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2001 01:18 AM      Profile for Jonathan Haglund   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Haglund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Atlantis all the way. The animation is Shrek, while advanced, is not good enough for the type of look it is trying to portray. Toy Story was fine, but Shrek is a fantasy type movie with kids style animation and humor. Besides, Atlantis is going to be shown in DLP, that alone should sell out every show because of its clearly superior quality and life time </sarcasm>

------------------
Jonathan Haglund
Edwards Theatre Circuit, Inc
Park Place 10

Norman Brown
Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2001 08:11 AM      Profile for Norman Brown   Email Norman Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to see Shrek at one of the mangers events also . I havent seen Atlantis , However I do not really have a doubt that Shrek will wipe up with it.

------------------

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2001 06:53 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote is for Shrek. Disney's lost their animation touch unless it's from the "Toy Story" folks.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2001 11:19 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too saw Shrek at a manager screening (today actually), and I have no doubt at all that it will totally kill Atlantis at the box office. This film will open big and have Chicken Run legs.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2001 08:51 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,
No Doubt. SHREK!!! Disney has to be very carefull now and go back in producing CHILDREN animation and not sophisticated animation. They are trying to copy the Japanese I think (Manga Animation). Well that's my thought.
Demetris Thoupis
"FOR STRENGTH AND HONOUR"

James Keel
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2001 09:53 AM      Profile for James Keel   Email James Keel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...I don't know which one will make more money. I'm an animation fan, so I'll be seeing both.

But I DO like the turn Disney took with Atlantis. I've yearned for years for them to put their talent, budget and storytelling behind somehthing that wasn't partly designed with some colorful should-be-inanimate object to sell at Toys R Us. Talking deer and singing teapots are fine, but NBC shows comedy AND drama. Can't Disney do kid animation and 'adult' animation too?

JK

Scott Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2001 08:54 AM      Profile for Scott Madsen   Email Scott Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Shrek last night. There was a short trailer for Atlantis. And knowing how some of the Disney ones are , it was shockingly short, although the one in front of Pearl Harbor may go the distance.

Anyway, Among the Atlantis trailers was Evolution, Animal, A.I, and Dr. Doolittle 2. I would say Atlantis received the smallest reaction of any. Of course, there are no laughs but usually there are kids going 'Cool', etc, and there was just dead silence after that!
Shrek received lots of laughs during the movie, and even received a decent amount of applause after it was over.

So based on that, I would go with Shrek although this could have a high margin of error (BTW, Dr. Doolittle 2 received the best reaction. Could be a big sequel)

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2001 06:35 PM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Shrek today with my son.
He now has Shrek-itis. More money will be made on the merchandising for Shrek than Atlantis, that's for sure.
The Shrek trailer made me WANT to pay to see the film in the theater, Atlantis told me to wait for second run or home video.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-29-2001 07:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shrek actually improved during weekend #2 over weekend #1! (looking at Fri-Sat-Sun numbers).

Word of mouth on it is excellent. Many repeat customers.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2001 11:36 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Shrek all the way.

Atlantis has NY/LA exclusives starting 6/8 -- then it has to go national opposite Tomb Raider.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-03-2001 11:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to IME, Tomb Raider has received an R rating. Well, so much for that "summer hit," at least in smaller towns.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-04-2001 12:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please disregard the above post. IME had a mistake..."Tomb Raider" is rated PG-13. (I still don't think it looks like a big hit though)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: