Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How do we preserve the comfort of the "Ideal" 10-plex? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How do we preserve the comfort of the "Ideal" 10-plex?
Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 11:36 AM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Making a separate thread here. Should we allow peanuts, popcorn, soft drinks and all of that mess in the Deluxe houses, mainly Screen #1 and #2? If you want a true Deluxe house to stay that way, I don't think you can let all that stuff in there. OK for screen #3 thru #10.

The Super-Deluxe Screen #1, which also has the full stage and the 5/100 theatre pipe organ... I envisage this as being completely separate with its own public entrance, although otherwise it would be a part of the same building.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-19-2001 03:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving to Ground Level.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 03:56 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to make money, you should let food into every auditorium.

You shouldn't make the larger aditoriums super deluxe and then make the smaller auditoriums "cheaper." That will just piss off the customers that find out that the film they wanted to see was in an inferior house. If you make the smaller aditoriums very nice as well then people will really like the whole plex. The trick isn't designing a great large auditorium, the trick is to make a small auditoium great.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-19-2001 04:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Ian! Finally someone else who agrees with me. I've always thought that theaters like this were built by idiots. Here is a couple of very common scenarios:

Late 1980s theater (8 plex)
2 screens THX with Dolby
6 screens mono!

Late 1990s theater (12 plex)
4 screens THX with SRD/DTS/SDDS (because films sound best when played simultaneously in all digital formats, right?)
4 screens with DTS (based purely on cost)
4 screens with Ultra Stereo analog (not even with SR emulator cards)

Who dreams up these kind of layouts??? The money has already been spent! This 12 plex could've been built with SRD in every auditorium and more THX certified auditoriums to boot for the same amount of money.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 04:34 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee Brad, sounds like you used to work for United Artists Theatre Circuit.

I used to argue with Bobby Pinkston about that all the time. But his hands were tied as well. The Greenwood was a mistake. Somebody goofed and they put Dolby CP65s in every auditorium with subwoofers in every auditorium, but with center/surround in the small houses. The extra speakers were still on the truck! The new theatre manager took over and pulled half the SR cards to send back for a credit! When he left, they were still under his desk. So Joe and I grabbed them and put them all back in. We moved the subwoofers all to the big houses when we got digital. After the digital blew half the surrounds, we got full stereo in the small and JBL 8340s in the big houses. It was just goofy.

Later, Bobby Pinkston went to work for Dolby and one of his first triumphs was to get Edwards to sign a contract that stated that 100% of their auditoriums would feature Dolby Digital.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-19-2001 05:47 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad -- I agree with you completely. That's really stupid. I do like the idea of having something "special" for the biggest one or two auditoria (maybe EX or LE/RE screen channels or 70mm or something) in a multiplex, but the idea of going all-out on a couple of screens and putting junk in the rest is just stupid and gives the theatre a bad reputation among people who don't always see films in their first week of release.

Until last summer, the GCC Burlington 10 had CP-65s and some form of digital sound (DTS, SR-D, or SDDS) in nine of the ten houses. The two big screens were THX certified and had Dolby EX. Screen 2 was Kintek mono/surround...

Thankfully, they finally replaced the Kintek stuff with a CP55 (no SR, though) and DTS unit... I can't believe that there was any logic behind the previous configuration.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-19-2001 05:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian Price said....
"You shouldn't make the larger aditoriums super deluxe and then make the smaller auditoriums "cheaper."
Man this is true! I did an 8 plex in Elgin Illinois a number of years back. It had one 550 seat room with a 55 foot screen and one of the best THX systems installed at that time. I was given carte blanche when building it. Customers buying tickets loved the large theater and would always ask if the film they were comming to see was playing on the large screen??? If it was not many of them turned around and left. This created a bit of a problem so when the theater added on another 6 screens we built another large house again, with a large screen and super THX system. FYI, the other houses ranged from 160 seats to 375 seats. and the larger theaters were received better and always did better buisness than the smaller ones.
MArk @ GTS

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 04-19-2001 07:57 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So true Mark. If there is a vast difference in quality between auditoriums people will either start calling up and asking what films are on the "good screens" and/or just avoiding the theatre all together because of having been relegated to the "cheap" screens once too often. Quality shows and so does cheapness.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 04-19-2001 08:22 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guys but I have to disagree with you.

When you put your budgets together and you start lining up the cost for booth and stage set which includes screen, screen frames, masking, masking motors, curtains, Valance, speakers, speakers platforms, THX Wall and/or Baffles, speaker isolation pads, Location of HVAC units, Location of pipes in walls,THX Monitors, Certification cost per auditorium, and re-certification each and every year be ready to up your budget from a non THX auditorium.

You can still do most of what THX asks you to do but you do not need a THX Monitor at the price they charge. You can still purchase THX approved speakers, and THX approved amplifiers and I don't think anyone is going to go in the auditoriums without test equipment and tell the difference.

If Joe Schmidt is going to go to the trouble of putting in a separate entrance with a higher class concession area or restaurant with real food, then I think he can not only charge more but I believe the patrons will expect more. This does not mean that you don't build the smaller theatres to perfection, when you are charging the for first run they deserve the very best for the money they are spending.

Sorry fellows but the budgets for THX auditoriums and a non THX auditorium will not be close to each other.

OK, I'm holding my ears,start the screaming.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 08:29 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan of THX. I think they did wonderful things for the industry, but their time has passed. You can do better than THX for less cost. One should know and follow the THX ideal.

The point is don't shortchange the smaller auditoriums when building a multiplex. They should still have stereo, digital, movable masking the proper ratios, nice seats, look good and not feel dinky. If people are calling you up asking you what room a film is in, your doing something wrong.

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 08:51 PM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a bit more information to assist with the thread. Screen #1 is envisaged with:

-- 2-projector 70/35 plus a platter
-- 70/35 mag playback capability custom-built by me
-- 3-projector Cinerama with separate mag playback system for this, also custom-built. 3-proj. should be easy to do with platters. This adds 2 more 35mm proj. + 2 platters to the booth. I have this peculiar revival idea of playing "How the west was won" in the summer to try and catch people on the way to Yellowstone Park; tie-in; probably just a matinee daily.
-- Dolby Digital & surrounds
-- Custom audio switching system to set up whatever sound format needed
-- Custom-built, by me, Interlocked mag film recorder for scoring silent movies using the 5/100 theatre pipe organ
-- Full stage for occasional dramatic arts use, special business convention presentations, etc.

So, this Screen #1 is not designed to be a full-time movie house exclusively anyway and I'd want it to stay nice; that's why no popcorns & etc. As an Archival house run by a non-profit corporation it does not necessarily have to make money -- however, there rarely is such a thing as a "no-profit" corporation.

Furthermore, if all the sound is designed by me, I can absolutely guarantee to everyone here there will no such thing as a bad house soundwise in the 10-plex. Then, in Billings MT if all the competition I have is carmike, I won't even have to work very hard to surpass this by 1000%!

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 09:10 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that "Pie in the Sky" I'm smelling? It don't smell good, does it?

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 09:22 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How's the Alberta Beir Fox Theatre doing?

Center for the Performing Arts

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 04-19-2001 09:23 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, What do you know that your not telling us. I don't think you have enough people in the whole state to support the type of theatre your going to be building.

I think maybe I will join Ian for a bite of pie. Make mine Chocolate Cream, Please.

Oh, yes a latte also.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-20-2001 12:18 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had the pleasure of working with THX systems. Our theater was equiped with two of them until our company pulled them out in favor of dts sound systems. I agree with Bob in that you can achieve the same results just by setting things up as if it were THX and just not using THX monitors. The houses that were THX I think sound bettr now than they did with the monitor. The best thing THX did was raise awareness that you need the highest quality equipment for the best sound.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: