Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Looking for info on a few Theatre companies... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Looking for info on a few Theatre companies...
Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 01:24 PM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am interested in applying with the following companies and was wondering if anyone could give me contact info or general information on them. Thanks.
Classic Cinemas
Starnet Cinemas
Eastern Federal
Consolidated Theatres
ONeil Theatres
Muvico Theatres

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 02:42 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Classic Cinemas
630-968-1600 Downers Grove IL
Don't know anything about them. Personally, I can't imagine moving TO Illinois.

Starnet Cinemas
904-731-9616 Jacksonville FL Sara Homer
Strictly a family style operation, Bill & Sara took over Kent Theatres a few years back.

Eastern Federal
704-377-3495 Charlotte NC
Eastern Fed used to run dollar houses on a shoestring years ago, but I'm sure there have been many changes.

Consolidated Theatres
704-554-1695 Charlotte, NC
Which reminds me, Herman Stone was interviewed on NPR this week about the shakeout in the industry. I imagine his interview is probably available on the NPR website if you are interested.

ONeil Theatres
504-641-4720 Slidell LA (near New Orleans)
They got hit in the recent crunch, IIRC?

Muvico Theatres
954-564-6550 Ft. Lauderdale FL
The company that is bringing glamour back to theatres in the U.S. Scruffies need not apply. AMC management style training. Knock-em-dead style theatres. One of the few circuits that understands heavy staffing can be good.

That's quite a range of styles.

If you move to Charlotte be prepared for the strangest drivers on the planet. If there is a six lane highway with six cars on it, those cars will be lined up abreast of each other, driving at 25 mph. I think everyone is afraid to pass a neighbor for fear that it is rude.

Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 03:01 PM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jerry for the info! Are there any circuits you recommend? Someone told me about a small circuit based in Virginia (I think). They have theatres in a few states including South Carolina, but I can not remember the name of the circuit.

I did not O Neil got hit in the crunch. Are they going to be able to stay afloat oor are they going to sell out their screens?

I agree with what you said about Muvico. From the pics I have seen they have built some great palaces.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 03:51 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Consolidated Theatres operated the University 4 (later University 6) theatre here in Huntsville, AL. It was later taken over by Carmike. Whether Colsolidated Theatres originally built the theatre is a piece of information I've been unable to determine. If there is a Consolidated Theatres equivalent to Bob Maar for Trans-Lux floating around here, please chime in. It would be nice to have as good a discussion of Consolidated as we had for Trans-Lux.

For reference, University 4 opened Friday, June 17, 1977. Consolidated also operated the Trans-Lux Twin here in Huntsville briefly before Cobb took it over.

I'd like to know more about Consolidated Theatres. Did they build all of their theatres with the "pod" style auditoriums?

Here is my University 6 description file.

Accordings to the city directories, Bascom Lassiter was the manager of the theatre from 1979-1989, and possibly earlier.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Info Site

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 03:56 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any comments on ShoPro?

Greg Borr
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 04:08 PM      Profile for Greg Borr   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Borr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ShoPro, Good company, operates theatres in several states, each location seems to be a little different in style, if you have a particular location in mind, I'll tell you what I know.

Drivers in Charlotte, not near as bad as Winston-Salem or Greensboro, I used to look forward to driving in Charlotte. Still not as bad as Florida in the winter!!

Greg Borr
Ready Theatre Systems

Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 04:14 PM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shopro---I have thought about applying with them as well. I would appreciate any info on them as well.

Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 04:19 PM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans:

In reference to Consolidated, what do you mean by "pod" style auditoriums?

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 04:38 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a thread on this months ago. Look at my pictures of the University Cinemas on the link I posted and you'll see that the auditoriums are built off the lobby in pods so that adjacent auditoriums don't share their side walls (or not much of them). It is good for cutting down on sound bleed-through, but costs more in terms of building materials (greater outside wall area).

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Info Site

Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 04:38 PM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few other companies I am interested in applying with are:

Signature Theatres
Cinema-West
Pacific Theatres
Gulf States Theatres

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 05:00 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Pacific Theatres and Cinema West are out here in California.

Aaron Siesmore works for Cinema West so he can fill you in on them.

Pacific is builing large, pretty good, all stadium theatres now. We have one in the next town over. I think it is the best theatre in the county. But you have to wade through too many teenagers and they are cronicly understaffed. Also they built this multiplex with used equipment. It still a good theatre but I don't know what that says about there pay structure.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 05:19 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather not make any recommendations on who to work for or who not to work for. Every person is an individual, and every company has a "style." Some people fit certain styles better than others. What I do suggest is talking with people already managing for a circuit, and getting their impressions. Usually the corporate office is willing to give the phone number of a "lead" manager, whose brain you can pick for 15 or 20 minutes of targeted questions.

I think O'Neil already shed their loser theatres. They should be OK.

Evans, you can also tell Consolodated construction of that period by the hose bibb in the back of the auditoriums and drain at the front. 1977 sounds a little early for an opening date, but it could be right. IIRC there was a gentlemen's agreement that Cobb wouldn't go into Consolodated towns and Consolodated wouldn't go into Cobb towns. That agreement was breached by Consolodated tagging Centerpoint and Hoover, surrounding B'ham. R.C. retaliated with the theatre you loved to hate in Huntsville, plus Centerpoint Six and Hoover Square Six. Herman Stone is largely responsible for the improvement of Cobb Theatres in B'ham. Prior to those theatres, the B'ham locations were chopped up old barns and twins. R.C. had to build new or die. As it was, the Consolodated locations generally grossed a little higher, perhaps because the customers that Cobb had made suffer for so long were determined to support competition. The Cobb theatre in Huntsville was wildly successful, perhaps for similar reasons.

The design of the free standing auditoriums cut down on crosstalk, but had other problems. Passing motorcyclists and traffic could be apparent and there was substantially more heating and cooling load. Kids could always find a corner to sneak around, and there was a lot of wall space for graffiti. As soundproofing techniques improved, adjoining theatres became more practical. Sound bleed-thru at
Centerpoint Six was minimal. The greatest sound problem was from auditorium doors opening and admitting lobby noise.

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 10:03 PM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, all we have in Billings in carmike and... ummmmmm, never mind.

But if you like to drive fast you'll love Montana. We run slowpokes off the road here and if that doesn't work there's the gun rack in the back of the truck and we can shoot 'em down! 75mph on the interstate here is cruising & just getting started...

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-20-2001 12:07 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema West: 35 screens/9 locations with an additional 23 screens in development. We are looking for managers and PROJECTIONISTS. We usually hire dedicated projectionists for all theatres with 4 or more screens. Further info: visit out site http://www.cinema-west.com or call (707) 762-0990 and ask for Ellie White.

Aaron Sisemore
Chief Technician
Cinema West Theatres

Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2001 12:20 AM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Aaron!!!! I will check it out.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: