Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Pre-Show Auditorium Announcements (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Pre-Show Auditorium Announcements
Kyle Abel
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2001 02:43 AM      Profile for Kyle Abel   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Abel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking one day about how to improve our showmanship at my theatre (bear in mind that I have the typical pre-1998 Cinemark theatre--pinks, greens, purples, etc.) and I thought about a pre-show auditorium announcement. The script would go something like this:

About 2 min. prior to showtime sound fades down, slide projector turns off. Manager in nice suit goes to front and quiets crowd.

"Thank you for coming...yada yada yada...please purchase concessions...yada yada yada...please don't talk, turn off cell phones, take noisy children outside...yada yada yada...enjoy the show." (lasts about 30 sec. to a minute)

Manager leaves, sound fades back up, slides go on, feature starts soon after.

I ran this by a manager friend of mine, and he said that many customers would find this a waste of time, unless there was something in it for them, i.e. promo items, gift certificates, etc.

Is this a feasible idea? Will customers get turned off by this? What extra things can I do (besides the obviously important elements of meticulously clean facility, courteous staff, flawless presentations) to get that showplace feeling? (keep in mind that renovations such as curtains, etc. are not an option due to the powers that be's iron grip on the wallet!)

------------------
Kyle Abel
General Manager
Plano Movies 10

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-12-2001 03:20 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did something similar to that when we opened the first Jurassic Park movie. We were the only Cinemark in the state to install the first DTS units. So we had a manager go down into the auditorium and give a special description of how the system worked and informed them that the volume level would be loud. Nobody had a problem with that.

However, you may be exceeding policy by going into each one every show with announcements. Plus if slides go off screen for any reason other than blown bulb stuck slide or a reported down slide projector would probably be breaking contract agreement.

I would ask your region leader before attempting anything.

Mark Huff
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2001 08:05 AM      Profile for Mark Huff   Email Mark Huff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kyle,

National Amusements does exactly what you are talking about all the time. They just leave the slides going all the time. Cinemark also does what you are wanting to do except the only time I remember doing that was at the opening of my theatre. I do agree with Darryl though ask your region leader first. Also if approved, in the beginning it may seem fun but when you are very busy 30 seconds in a theatre can seem like a lifetime. A loss of a manager on the floor on a busy Friday or Saturday can be detrimental. At National Amusements most of the time this is handled by an employee. The difference is that at National they use supervisors and customer service people within the employee ranks. One of the customer service employees usually does this task. Hope this helps you out and gives you more things to think about. You may want to have a couple of employees trained in what to say and do.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2001 09:27 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Search back in the threads, I think I described how we did this. Key points are using an usher and having that person say something like "If there are any problems, please see me." and "I'll be checking the auditorium periodically." That is all the audience really wants to hear. Put yourself in Joe Blow's place when trying to stick something in front of him.

Something like this doesn't need to be done every show, either. The regular customers will like it the first few times, but you stand a chance of heckling if promises aren't fulfilled or it goes on too long.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2001 11:00 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have visited the Shady Brook Cinemas in Columbia, TN and it is the only theatre I've visited where an usher comes in and says something before the show.

The slides and accompanying audio track stopped and the user came in and said something like:

"Let me have your attention please. My name is xxxx and I will be your user for this show. If there are any problems with the movie, please find me and let me know. I'll be walking around in the hall."

He came in the auditoirium several times during the show.

I thought this was a neat touch. However, there was significant aperture shadow on 2 of the edges that should have been caught and fixed during an earlier show. If they're going to come in and check on things, they should be trained to notice such flaws, such as images fading out 6 inches from the edge of the screen.

This was the first time I'd ever been to a theatre where they did this. At first, when he said "Let me have your attention please", I thought he was going to tell us that the movie couldn't be run for some reason.

About the slide show: All theatres in my area either show the slides with no audio playing or show slides with background music playing, that is unrealated to the ads being shown. I've never objected to this, but the Shady Brooks Cinema not only had the slides, but they had an accompanying audio track synchronized with the slides! After a few minutes, I found the constant advertising chatter annoying as well as the repetitive background music used for this track. (It's like the kind of music they use for news programs). After 5 or 10 mintues, I was ready for it to end, but it kept repeating.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Info Site

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-12-2001 11:16 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Kyle: Run down to the IMAX at the Cinemark 17 at Webb Chapel and catch the speech and pre-show they do before each show. It's a different situation, but you may get a few ideas and can talk to the manager about it.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 04-12-2001 11:41 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In NYC the only time I have seen announcements made is when they are collecting monies for "Variety Club and/or Will Rogers Hospital" In the past ushers would pass a canister around. Now the Manager or and Assitant manager will come in and stand at the rear of the orchestra, The slides will be turned off and the lights come up full. The Manager will say" Ladies and Gentleman, May I have your attention for a moment", the he will will introduce himself and warmly welcome the people to the show. He will then explain the charity that is being collected for and announce that there will be a place,to donate spare change on the way out, after the movie. He will also explain that should they have further questions or need assistance in any way, he will be in the lobby during the show.

He then asks for the show to begin.

I felt this was a better way to make a collection than the passing of cannisters.

It was certainly a nice piece of "Showmanship."

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-12-2001 01:24 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the "personal touch" idea, but the idea of having an usher come to the front of the theatre to just give policy announcements seems to be a little bit too close to the type of thing that airlines do. Customers may start expecting oxygen masks to drop down at any moment, or might check under their seats for life vests.

On the other hand, if the film being shown is somehow special or interesting and the manager actually cares about it in some way, then I'd be all in favor of a short introduction. I can see this working best at an art-house or repertory theatre. I did something like this when we ran GWTW, for example...I talked about when the film had first played in the theatre in its initial release and briefly talked about how the new print was in dye-transfer Technicolor. I hope I didn't bore the audience to death, and a couple of them actually seemed to appreciate it.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2001 02:54 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On weekends or during busy shows we like to get in front of the audience. Usually the appriciate it. One lady told Ky to stop congradulating himself. We usually try to tell them something about the film and plug upcoming events and films at the theatre.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-12-2001 03:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about these for pre-show announcements?

Click here if you are a Joe Redifer fan

And/Or

Click here if you are a Brad Miller fan

And/Or

Click here if you are a Dwayne Caldwell fan

Yes, we all worked at the same theater.

You must be able to play MP3s to hear this. Also, if you right-click and "Download link to disk" your browser won't try to open it itself.

Bob Maar

- posted 04-12-2001 03:50 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Joe: Click Here if you dare.
Http://www.BradJoeDwayne.com

Let me know how you make out.

Kyle Abel
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2001 05:10 PM      Profile for Kyle Abel   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Abel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you all are right about not doing it every day, every show. I forgot to add to the original post that it was planned only for the 7:00 round of shows on Friday and Saturday. Maybe it should be done only on the 7:00 round on Friday for the new features. Like last weekend when we opened "What Women Want" in our largest house (350 seats) which sold out. I can see it being nice to do then, but probably not worth doing for "102 Dalmatians" which only had 25 people and has been at our theatre for 7-8 weeks. Thanks for the response!

------------------
Kyle Abel
General Manager
Plano Movies 10

Bob Maar

- posted 04-12-2001 06:40 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to all of your recordings.

Let me set the stage: Mann's Chinese Theatre
Projection Booth: Lights low...red glow to booth. Three men sitting on 5 gallon drums in a semi circle.

On the floor in the recording device together with a tape player and a synthseizer.

The three men are drinking beer and smoking weed. They feel no pain. They are dressed in comforable work clothes. They all wear a baseball cap with two words hyphenated on front. Camera can only capture "F-T).

The music gets louder and Louder and Louder. The three rise up out of their seats.

In Unison: They yell out: Welcome to the Mann's Chinese THEATRE waw, waw, waw......

The rest is history and Film-Tech is born.

It weighs in at about 485 Pounds.

Congratulations, Great Thread.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-12-2001 06:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the plan was to burn those announcements onto the Non-Sync CDs and just swap them out at shift change.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-12-2001 08:02 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want one!!!!!!!!!! Change 'Mann's Chinese' to 'Cinema West Theatres'

Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: