Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Any good theatre companies to work for? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Any good theatre companies to work for?
Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2001 02:03 AM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for a new theatre company to work for. I would like to manage a 6-8 plex for a small company where the people in the corporate office know me by my name and not my location number. I have 13 years experience and am willing to relocate. So, if anyone has any information or know of a District Manager that is in need of a good General Manager, let me know.
Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-11-2001 02:28 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving to Ground Level forum.

Jonathan Haglund
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2001 04:42 AM      Profile for Jonathan Haglund   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Haglund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure how far you are looking to relocate, but out in California, my theatre circuit is usually looking for fresh meat..I mean talented managers. We have roughly 50 theatres ranging from 1 screen to 26. (The 1 screen is closing soon though, an we will soon be around 5-26 screens) We also have theatres in Boise, Idaho and Houston, Texas. I dont know how the remote locations work, but interaction with the corporate office is near personal.
If you're interested, drop me an e-mail and I can give you contact information.

------------------
Jonathan Haglund
Edwards Theatre Circuit, Inc
Park Place 10

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2001 06:53 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Timothy, I know how you feel. I used to work with UA and that was the way things were 11 years ago when I started with them. Even though the coporate office is that way, take pride in knowing that Paul Stinson, Stve Downey, and Chris Taylor if he has met you and had anything to do with you at all, will know you better than just by your location number. I know this frst hand as I have not worked for UA for 4 years now and I actually had to call Paul up about a month ago to see if UA was going to use any, all or part of the Stereo equipment out of my old theatre they had just closed somewhere esle. Well much to my surprise he remembered me, and much to my dismay he said the Stereo units are heading to Mississppi. Everytime I talk with a friend of mine in Corpus he says everytime Steve is in town doing an audit, he ask's how I am doing these days.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2001 08:08 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy, This is a small industry and people do know each other more than you might suspect. Reputations follow people for years. I had one owner ask me "Do you know so-and-so? You lived in that area for a while." I was able to respond with who the person was, how they worked, and what problems to be on the lookout for. Such behind the scenes conversations are not uncommon.

If you are doing a broad search, anticipate the wildly varying costs of living in different parts of the country. Key West and San Fransisco are hugely expensive. Missouri can be very cheap living. Wages between different areas can't be compared dollar for dollar, but must be placed in context.

Rick McCluney
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2001 05:30 PM      Profile for Rick McCluney   Email Rick McCluney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey William,

I have to say Paul Stinson is one District Manager that I really respect. When they closed the Cinema City in Little Rock to make room for the new Breckinridge Theatre, they needed help from my partner and I in the LA MS District to remove and store the equipment. When we got up there Paul got in there and helped us lower the consoles down the stairs. With everything he had to do to close the theatre, he still found the time to help us.

Rick

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2001 11:46 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, I would have to agree with you on that one. Everyone who has ever been the district manager for the Corpus theatres has been that way. From Tim Hinson to Chris Taylor to Paul Stinson. Every single one of them would always jump behind the concession stand during a rush while there were there to do an Audit. Steve Downey is the same way. John Rowley must of instilled good teamwork skills into everyone who has passed through the UA Dallas office. You pobably know the man who used to manage the Cine 6 theatre where I worked at also. He had already moved on by the time I arrived there, but Stan Booth is another person who does his part in the team effort. The only other place I had that expierience at was The Century 16 in Corpus. By the way Rick. I walked through and photograhed what is left of the Bandera 6 theatre in San Antonio. If you would like I can send you a set of prints. Just e mail me with an address.

Rick McCluney
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2001 02:32 AM      Profile for Rick McCluney   Email Rick McCluney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey William,

I know Stan Booth very well. His office is at the UA Northpark 14 in Ridgeland, MS which I serviced while working for UA. He is a real great guy and I always enjoyed talking with him when I was at the theatre up there. I'll e-mail my address to you. I would really like to see those pictures.

Rick

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-12-2001 03:27 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey any pictures you mave have of an existing theater you may want to send to Brad if you wish. He can post them in the warehouse of pictures. Just go to pictures link below and there is a description of what to do to send them in.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2001 07:50 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Darryl I do have a set of pictures for the following theatres somewhere:

Cinemark Sunrise 7 Dollar Cinema
Mann National Twin, both when it was a Changeover Facitlity and after the re opening when Platters were installed.
UA The Movies @ Padre Staples Mall
UA Cine 6
UA Centre Theatre
and coming soon The UA Howard Twin

In Addition to the Bandera Six stripped out, Does anyone have pictures of the Rand/Santikos Bandera 6. We can do a before and after of the reverse process.

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 09:47 PM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's Great to hear there are some good mid-management people still in the industry. But I still have this built-in bias about salaries, and in a 8-plex I think a person who is first of all a competent projectionist who can maintain quality on the screen; then can also manage the house; is worth $10-11/hour at the minimum to start + perhaps an incentive like small % of the concession profits if he can make that fly too.

If the pay isn't at this level, but you want to do it anyway, then your best bet is go for the areas with low cost of living and stay away from the hi-rent districts.

Jeff Sirles
Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2003 09:10 PM      Profile for Jeff Sirles   Email Jeff Sirles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May I sing the praises of the company I work for. Spinelli Cinemas in my personal opinion is the best company I have ever been associated with.
Pay is fair, Respect is given, Support is offered, Opportunities area afforded, Effort is rewarded, Opinions are GENUINELY listened to, and most everyone is pleasant.
In my company I, nor anyone else is not merely a number. We stand together and help each other, and that has extended out of the office too. Needless to say, when you work for a company that treats you great during work, and is there for you if you need them out of work as well, because they genuinely care... you've got something special.
Spinelli Cinemas has been the best work experience of my working life, and I plan to continue working for these folks for quite some time.

Richard Miller
Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 11:43 PM      Profile for Richard Miller   Email Richard Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The company I work for seems to care enough about the employees. I can call up some of the home office and tell them who I am, and they actually know me. I am just one of the basic managers. It's suprising to know that even with 30 theaters with at least 5 managers at each location (7 for our 7-plex) that they know most of the people. Plus it seems to pay pretty well.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2003 12:16 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet to find the perfect theatre circuit to work for.... I have been with 5 of them. There is always something that puts the situation out of balance...

Beth Smith
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2003 07:37 PM      Profile for Beth Smith   Email Beth Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis...
What kind of specific problems have you encountered with your current company?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: