Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Theater Management Position

Author Topic: Theater Management Position
Christopher D. Hovey
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 12:03 PM      Profile for Christopher D. Hovey   Email Christopher D. Hovey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the typical entry level salary for a house manager of a theater. I recently applied and got through the first interview position and they scheduled my second interview for the next day. Much to my dismay, the starting salary was about 19-20,000 a year and a mandatory relocation to the new theater. The company is GKC Theaters (George Kerasotes Theaters)gkctheatres.com, which pretty much handle all of Illinois (except Chicago) and Michigan.

To me this seems like a slim starting salary or maybe I was expecting too much?

|  IP: Logged

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 12:26 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately that sounds about right for a House Manager. I recently was promoted to General Manager of a 3 screen and my base salary is in that range, suplemented by a small vending commission.

But cheer up, do a good job and you could be made GM, or promoted to a larger complex where the salary/commissions will be much nicer.

Good luck.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 03:04 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Are ya working for FoxBay CinemaGrill or the Oriental? I don't think there are any other 3 screeners in town, or am I wrong? Both are very nice theatres.

Kyle Abel
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 07:25 PM      Profile for Kyle Abel   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Abel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like any other job, starting salary all depends on experience, mobility, etc. With theatre chains, typically you start at a smaller theatre with slower business to gain experience and develop your skills, then depending on your success, you can move to a larger theatre, which pays more. Is the figure you gave with commission? Used to be that your income was (roughly) a 70/30 split between base salary/commission to motivate managers to increase sales and lower shortages, but some chains are moving towards an 80/20 split for a more steady paycheck.

------------------
Kyle Abel
General Manager
Plano Movies 10

Christopher D. Hovey
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 07:31 PM      Profile for Christopher D. Hovey   Email Christopher D. Hovey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That salary didn't include the commission from the concession sales.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2001 11:12 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don--

I'm the General Manager of the Marcus Prospect Mall Cinemas

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2001 07:39 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, I haven't been to that theatre in probably 15 years, back when I was a youngster. But, I have spent a few bucks at VOX! Plus, we got a Chicago Collar put on our car the last time I tipped a few. I guess that one shouldn't park in the lot across the street from the mall. Opps.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2001 01:21 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They haven't booted cars there for about 2 to 3 years now, and if you do stop by you can get a blast from the past because its pretty much the same as it was the last time you visited.

But next time you are in the area stop by and I'll give you the grand tour.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2001 07:02 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I will do just that. Yes, it has been about 3.5 years since that happened. The last time I was there, we parked elsewhere. Now, I tend to let someone else drive when I go out on the eastside! I'll stop by and introduce myself when I'm in your area again.It's nice to see a couple people from Marcus on this site every now and then. I don't think anyone at our circuit is internet savy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: