Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Drive-ins to get Pearl Harbor late (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Drive-ins to get Pearl Harbor late
Tod J. Weitzel
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 12:35 AM      Profile for Tod J. Weitzel   Author's Homepage   Email Tod J. Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the Corona Coming Attractions site, Disney has informed the United Drive-In Theatre Owner's Association that "Pearl Harbor" will not be available to drive-ins until a month after the indoor release.

Comments?

Source: http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/pearlharbor.html

------------------
Resident nerd.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-08-2001 09:44 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I could not find the original article that they mention, but I would expect nothing less from Disney. I wonder if the drive-in group mentioned will talk lawsuit for denying them product (if this is true)?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-08-2001 10:40 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming that this is because Disney doesn't want their first-run title to be a double-bill with something else, when instead the prints could be running twice a night rather than once. (And, thus, bringing in roughly twice the boxoffice gross.)

This isn't an entirely unreasonable requirement for any first-run picture. Most contracts will forbid double-features or even running more than one feature in the same theatre during the first few weeks/months of a particular engagement. If I'm correct about this, they aren't really anti-drive-in, but rather anti-double-feature.

Frank Rapisardi
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 12:30 PM      Profile for Frank Rapisardi   Email Frank Rapisardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds similar to what George Lugas did with "Phantom Menace" What Disney doesn't see is the fact that most remaining drive-ins hold many more patrons than do indoors.If the drive-in is stuck with it for an extended run (say 6-8 weeks;well that might hurt) But if that drive-in had a number of screens;then it should work out for Disney and the theater owner. Shame on Disney!

------------------

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-08-2001 05:33 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand it if the film is offered first-run with a specific contract, but the original post suggests that it's not being offered first-run period. And why not play PH with a second-run Disney film. Then Disney gets all the money anyway.

Maybe by the time the film is offered (second-run at first-run prices!), the drive-in will have a "full plate" with good double features. Sorry, we don't have room for your film right now. Maybe if we played it a month ago ... Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-08-2001 05:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I often felt the harder the terms on a picture the poorer the picture is.
Phantom menace is a prime example

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 05:55 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam,

That very thing happened between UA and Disney in 1988 which led to Disney not playing any product in a UA theatre for close to a year. It was what lead to Mann Theatres reopening the National Twin in Corpus Christi, Tx. At that time UA had all the first run screens and Cinemark had a Dollar House. The next closest theatre was the Cinema 5 at Calallen (Part of Corpus, but 15 miles from the other theatres)and it to at the time was a sub run house. Needles to say the only good thing that came out of that arrangement for Mann was Disney paid to have an Ultra Stereo system put in the Large Auditorium for the Relaese of Fantasia in 90 I believe it was. That was the only time either ofteh two Auditoriums were equiped with a Stereo system which is sad considering the seating was approximately 700 and 550 respectively, and the theatre in its prime constantly out bid UA for product in the market. The first 2 Star Wars opened there, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T., and The first 2 Indian Jones movies. All had lines around the building and were selling out on a regular bases. The first Indiana Jones movie played for 68 weeks straight at that theatre, yes I know that is over a year, but it happened.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 08:55 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good call on Phantom Menace Gordon. I recall the phone message on one local drive-in here, saying that they weren't playing it because Lucas would not allow double features (I had heard digital sound was also required). Well, I guess early receipts must've made ol' George nervous, the distribs soon made sure it got played as a double feature 2nd week in glorious mono FM sound.

I can't remember what the second film was, but I know I enjoyed it much better!

If the reason is that "all DI's are run-down", then maybe they ought to visit some of them. I never knew there were run-down DI's as a kid, our local was immaculate, but since then I've seen them. However, this can't be the reason, money seems to rule now. If this were the case, many indoors would never get it either.

Perhaps a group like THX who rates presentations ought to rate DI's as well. Sure there are dumps like any business, but the guys who have brighter than normal picture, clean facilities, crystal clear sound, should be recognized. This movie premiers OUTDOORS (on a battleship) for gosh-sakes!

Long post, my apologies, but in trying to place suroound speakers here at my home, I got to thinking, even in a state-of-the-art
"Digital**TM r !!" theatre, how many folks actually get the benefit of this? What I mean is, you have a room where the sound is optimized surely for the centre of the auditorium, at what point does it fade away?
Do 30% hear it properly, 50%? Just curious, it could be said that at least at a "Drive-In
Done Right", everyone gets a shot at crystal-clear FM. These guys need to lighten up and realize that families can't get out to the movies as much as they can to a drive-in.

(How many will get the benefit of "pure" sound here at my house? 0% She says I can't tear out that wall that holds up the roof! )

Robert Golding
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2001 02:34 AM      Profile for Robert Golding   Email Robert Golding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've also heard that disney is thinking about charging the drive in's full percentages when they do get it after 4 weeks. It seems the mouse is causing more trouble.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2001 09:35 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's all about money. The studios love to boast about the box office haul after each weekend, and I'm sure they want to squeeze every penny out of the first weekend so they can brag about a record box office take.

If it costs $10 for each person to watch a movie in New York City, how much does it cost per person to watch a movie at a drive-in in Salt Lake City?

Also, when a movie plays as a double feature, doesn't that mean that you can only claim half the box office take? They don't want to do that when they're trying to set a record.

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 10:51 PM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I dunno if Pearl Harbor will play here in Billings at the carmike slums...

But I do know a lot of people who won't go even if it does.

We'll wait for DVD.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-23-2001 04:13 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard terms in Australia are for 9 weeks minimum and six weeks at 2 matinees / 2 evenings. That's on a par with Phantom Menace's terms and in my opinion that's just too long for a film without anything to guarantee a hit of that stature.

You can guarantee that this will be at our Drive Ins in Sydney from day one. Our last remaining two twin drive ins areowned and operated by one of the major chains, Greater Union.

I'll let you know...

It's interesting to note that although Phantom Menace had a 10 week minimum, it only made it to nine as Fox renegged on the terms. Of course, it had been dead since week three though...

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-23-2001 11:22 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, with the movie clocking in at just over 2 1/2 hours you know Disney is going to want as many shows as it can get. I guess they don't feel they can get that with drive-ins. Even if the drive-in did fill and spills with no co-feature. That's Disney for ya.

You know what i think would be cool if you could do it. Is to bring in some large speaker arrays and set them up under the drive-in screen and some up in the back of the lot each corner. Rent a dts system if possable and run it digital for the weekend. If that was possable I think that would be the coolest thing. Would have to have some security to protct the speaker systems over the weekend though.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2001 12:03 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't Disney have a couple single-screeners which they refurbished for big openings etc? I'm thinking of the El Capitan or Egyptian, can't recall which. I wonder if they stick THEMSELVES with the same unreasonably long runs???!!!!

I believe the Boulevard DI in Kansas City is equipped with DTS, you could try the speaker setup there. The speakers are still operating I've read, maybe you could run centre channel through them, L and R through the FM.........

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-14-2001 02:33 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I predicted...

>>You can guarantee that this will be at our Drive Ins in Sydney from day one. Our last remaining two twin drive ins areowned and operated by one of the major chains, Greater Union.<<

and it is. 1st week...doubling with 'Bounce'.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: