Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Who sells those frozen coffee machines?

Author Topic: Who sells those frozen coffee machines?
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-02-2001 03:13 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am opening up a new theater and want to find out who sells those frozen coffee smoothee machines? If anyone knows who please let me know...

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2001 11:58 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are officialy called Granita machines. We got ours for free from the Icee company in order to sell their product. Their product cost is sufficiantly high to pay off the cost of the machine. We sell Strawberry/Banana and Mocha smoothees.

But there are literaly hundreds of outlets that sell the machines. You can get them at your local restaurant supply house and make your own mix if you want. Or you can buy mix from you concession supply house. I am certain your local concession supply house will sell you the machine as well.

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2001 01:15 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theater does not have one of these machines but I have seen a model made by nestle, they were all mocha and mocha swirl blends.

Charles Lubner
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2001 11:58 PM      Profile for Charles Lubner   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Lubner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had experience with those frozen coffee marchines. DON'T GET ONE! Aside from being extremely tough to clean (it included a 30 min training video) the product tastes horrible. If you want a frozen beverage ICEE or Pepsi Freeze is a much better route to go. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I know coffee is meant to be hot, not frozen. If you don't serve enough product, a film forms at the top and you have to dump the whole batch. They're terrible machines.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-04-2001 01:57 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you guys ever drink iced coffee? That stuff is good! It was sold up here in Washington State, but it never took off. I guess in other parts of the country, it went over very well. (That's what I have heard, anyway.)

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2001 03:24 AM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Iced Coffee mmmmmmmm. Everyday I MUST have my Medium French Vanilla Iced coffee, cream and Sugar from Dunks....I could NEVER live without it!

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2001 03:25 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I drink about 50 of those a day. Dunkin Donuts sells them. I drink um like this:
Mediumfrenchvannillaicecoffeeregular.
My local Dunks knows what i get so they have it ready for me when i walk in the door (thats service) I went out to Missouri because i was gonna go work for Wherenburgh and they didnt have it out there.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-04-2001 02:00 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel and Sean:

Sure beats drinking that stuff hat tastes like a Truck Stop rubber inner tube, doesn't it?

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2001 02:30 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh ya! I tried a drink from one of those frozen coffee machines....YUCK! It was discusting, in my opinion not worth the time and effort to clean it.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2001 07:18 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a unit made by a division of Parrot Ice, it was gosh awful. I asked for a breakdown of ingredients and was shocked that it contains no caffeine or coffee in it. What's the use of slamming 'em??? Cleaning the unit was a pain in the butt too!

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2001 10:35 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So ever since this thread has started, I have been obsessed by the idea of frozen lemonade. So last weekend as the Strawberry/Banana Smoothie was running out I told the kids not to replenish it. We cleaned the machine and made lemonade. It took 10 lbs or about 40 lemons to make 3 gallons of lemonade.

My recipe is 2 quarts of lemon juice to 1-quart sugar that has been melted in hot water. Followed by 2 1/2 gallons of water. It is delicious. Quite tart.

Yesterday we sold it out. Today I made batch #2. I also did a cost analysis. The smoothie mix from Icee costs us $1.50 per serving which is 16 oz. We charge $3.50 for it, which isn't quite the 300% markup that a concession stand requires to be profitable.

Today at the store, lemons were 4 for $1. I used 40 lemons for my 3 gallons. That's $10 in lemons and about $3 in sugar. So my batch cost $13. So my single serving cost is only $.54 cents and I'm using fresh lemons. Frankly it is a better product. The texture is quite icy instead of smooth and creamy like the smoothie mix.

So now we have fresh, frozen lemonade and upscale root beer in the cooler. I think it may be time to remove the root beer and lemonade from the coke towers and replace them with Mr. Pibb and something else.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-12-2001 12:57 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, I've never been able to get the root beer taste out of syrup lines. Just one of those phenomenons. I wouldn't ever let one of my theaters add it to the towers, but we sold it in 20oz bottles when we got bottled water.

I've never made _real_ lemonade in the frozen drink machines, but my favorite syrup mix is Thelma's Frozen Lemonade.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: