Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Minor Subject: L.E.D. Marquees (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Minor Subject: L.E.D. Marquees
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2001 06:51 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think all theatres should have 1 L.E.D. Marquee above each auditorium entrances.

It would save a lot of time and money and looks really good.

What do you think about this technology and this idea?

------------------
Andrew McCrea

"I'm Not Bad, I'm Just Drawn That Way!" - Jessica Rabbit

Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2001 07:13 PM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,

I have worked with both the normal Mylar marquees and the LED displays. I enjoy both about the same, but there's something about a Mylar that I like a bit more. First of all, it is what I am used to. It may not be the easiest way to have theatre times and auditorium information displayed but I think it is a nice feature. As for the LED display, they are handy when its Thursday night--because no one has to be bothered with changing the backlit Mylar displays. They both have good qualities... I just like the original Mylar better. Good luck!

-- Steven

Brian Potts
Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2001 07:29 PM      Profile for Brian Potts   Email Brian Potts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre has picture mylars which are cool. The 12 screen across town has the LED's. In my opinion, the LED's make the theatre seem too much like an airport. Also when the 12 screen theatre was first opened, the had lots of problems with the computer that controls them.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2001 07:39 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In another life, I actually installed Data Display, LED signs. They are great in the box office. They update automatically when you change the computer. They are very simple to setup and run. They are also very cool when you are running a theatre with between 16 and 30 screens.

However, I prefer the look of mylars. So when it came to my own theatre, we chose mylars.

On the subject of money... LED displays are very expensive to purchase to begin with. but once purchased, they don't cost you much. Mylar light boxes are dirt cheap to buy and install. But you have to buy mylars every week for your new films. But I suspect that we will be turning them out on our color laser printer before long. So I would have to buy 500 mylars to equal the price of an LED system for my theatre. That's about 4 years worth of films.

You can pay me now, or you can pay me later!

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2001 09:30 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have pictures of mylars... I'm not sure what they are!

------------------
Andrew McCrea

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-16-2001 10:31 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew: You mean to say that you don't have ANY theatres that use mylars (also known as 'Title Art') A good example is the products from Movie Ad Corp http://www.moviead.com

If its anything, we stripped out a closed sixplex in San Jose CA 2 years ago, and took everything... except the Xetron Maxi-8 autos, an AW2, 2 Christie vertical consoles, and all six LED marquees.

If I HAD to use an electronic title board, i would use the ones that Schult Design carries, they look 'better' than plain LEDs IMO. And I would only use them at the boxoffice for the times. I prefer title art ( mylars) for above the auditorium doors

Aaron

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2001 02:56 AM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO, I like the mylars above the theaters, it makes the look of the theater more personal.

I do like the title LED's showing the movie times. We now use a mylar time board and people tend to have a hard time reading it because they don't know if the times are above or below the mylar....the times seem so much easier on a LED board.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2001 12:51 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing, what does IMHO mean?

Also... When a small, 2 screen theatre is open on a Thursday night, they have about 3 people working, there's 2 shwos in on auditorium, 1 after the other. That small staff is not going to have time to change the regular flourescent marquee. Plus, with one line available, they're going to have to change it.

I like the look of L.E.D.'s. They look cool and they'll last a lot longer. Except, i have noticed that sometimes at the theaytres that use them, they do go wacky and flash and blink when they're just suppose to show the time.

------------------
Andrew McCrea

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2001 03:46 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO means In My Humble Opinion.

A mylar looks like this.

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2001 04:18 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, on a thursday night at my 3 screen, there is me (the manager) and 2 employees on. We get all the thursday night stuff (changing the outside marquee, both sets of mylars, hanging up the posters w/ the times, movie posters, etc.) by 10:30 with the last show being at about 9:45.

It works out fine.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2001 06:04 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I think that the marquee for what's playing on THE SCREEN should be combined with neon streetside or on the back of the screentower with Wagner letters. But seriously, having worked with both methods (albeit a different business), mylar will be better, LED's or anything electronic will choke/burn out and is more expensive anyway. Point well taken about the
"airport" feel. Last time I was at the multiplex, I felt I should be rushing to the "gate"!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-17-2001 06:34 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the maintenance cost on the LED displays? How much do distributors charge for the mylars?

I've never been involved with either--at single-screens, we usually changed out the poster case in front of the theatre while the last show ran on (usually) Thursday night. You could change the mylars at the same time. No big deal, although you'd probably need a ladder to change the mylars.

I've worked at a 10-plex that had both a mylar-holder-thingie (what's it supposed to be called?) and a poster case next to each auditorium entrance and it worked fine. I suppose that one advantage here is that you can teach someone how to change out a poster or mylar in a minute or two, instead of having to show someone how to use a computer.

I agree with the complaints about the "airport look"--it's not apppropriate for movie theatres. The one major advantage that I've noticed of having LEDs at the boxoffice, though, is that (in a multiplex) they can be (I assume) connected to the boxoffice computer system and can quickly indicate which shows are sold out on a busy night, without the manager having to yell in the lobby. I'm sure that Jerry and others could give you the run-down on what the boxoffice computer systems are capable of doing...I'm not really familiar with them, unless "automaticket" machines count as "computers."

Edwin Graf Diemer
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2001 06:46 PM      Profile for Edwin Graf Diemer   Email Edwin Graf Diemer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always felt the mylars look best over the doors, but the LED's are great over the Boxoffice. They are also great for outdoors-beats climbing onto a ledge to change the attraction letters! I was at a theater where another manager was changing the letters, stepped back to check the spacing, and went crashing onto the parking lot 20+ feet below. Amazingly, he wasen't hurt!

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2001 07:00 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least one year of LED maintenance is usually included in the initial purchase price. Yes they will fail, but they are as easy to fix as replacing a board.

Mylars coast between $15-$20 per piece and are available from 3rd party vendors, not distributors. One very large vendor is called Movie Ad Corp.

The "thingy" that holds the mylars is a light box. It is just a box with a florescent tube inside with a white plastic front and a track to hold the mylar. The same boxes can hold letters so you can spend once and use the letters each week.

If I had a single screen, I would just hang the poster in the proper place with a now showing next to it.

LED signs are hooked up to the box office computers and they don't require anything from the managers. If the times and auditorium numbers are correct in the box office computer, then the signs above the doors will be correct. Once the initial setup has been done, it is hands free. When something does go wrong, the software is easy and you can call them up and they will handhold you through it. You don't have to turn them on. You don't have to turn them off. You don't have to update them on Thursday. It's all automatic.

And yes, I think it looks like an airport. By the way, the theatres are the second largest market for LED signs. Airports are the largest market for LED signs, so the analogy is apt.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2001 07:21 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the LED Marquees, but regular marquees with flourescent bulds behind them, with the sliding letters are the cheapest... considering they last forever and so do flourescent bulbs.

Both are fine but I prefer the LEDs

------------------
Andrew McCrea

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: