Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Firing employees who steal (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Firing employees who steal
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-16-2001 04:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The following was emailed to me by a registered Film-Tech member. The person does not want the theater or the employee's identity revealed for various reasons, but very much wants feedback from the other members. Here is the emailed post exactly as it was sent to me:

I had to fire an employee for theft. This employee was a trusted and valued member of the team and had been with us since we opened. I had made this person an Assistant Manager and trusted this person with the theatre while I was gone. I would have trusted this person with my car, house and even my money.

What was the scam?

The theatre's computerized ticketing system is very simple but it does have all the proper accounting and tracking features. Someone told me that this employee made a refund to the computer and then pocketed the refund. So I pulled all the transaction journals and started the audit. I noticed that most refunds were for one or two tickets and that there was the refund ticket in the bag like always. But on the shifts this Assistant Manager worked there were always a block of refunds like 6 or 10 to one film that didn’t correspond to any block of tickets sold. Also the refunded tickets weren’t in the bag. These refunds were done sometimes hours after that particular show had ended. If you added up the amount of tickets sold plus the refunded tickets, there were more than were in the bag.

On shifts where this Assistant Manager didn’t work, there were never any missing refunds. Also, there weren’t any blocks of refunds that didn’t correspond to a block of tickets punched out. And all refunds were done shortly after the tickets were punched out.

The total amount stolen for the first 15 days of the month is $450, which is roughly equal to this person’s hourly wages for the same period. I have not audited any farther back than this month. I’m not sure I want to know. If this has been going on since this person has been an Assistant Manager, then the theatre could be missing thousands of dollars.

It was sad and emotionally painful to have to fire someone that we had considered part of the family. But I did it swiftly as possible. This person was in last night verifying a print, while I was doing the audit. After the film ended at around 2 AM, I called this person in to the office, told them of the problem, I asked for an explanation and then took this person’s keys and told this person that they were fired. This person looked so pathetic, and claimed that I was mistaken that that this person had never ripped us off. And even begged for their job back if I discovered that I was wrong.

Now, I will check refunds after each rack of shows. And I will verify that the number of refunds matches the number on the hourly report for each day. Now the I have to cover a considerable number of shifts that this employee ran. So I am back on a 7-day workweek for the foreseeable future.

Stealing from the till and concession scams are the oldest tricks in the book. Have any of you had similar experiences? What are some of the scams you have heard of? Have you ever had to fire anyone like this? Have you ever called the cops on an employee that was stealing?

Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2001 06:10 PM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I've heard of such a scam occuring on more than one occasion. With our theatre chain there are internal auditors who check and re-check every void and/or refund up against the receipts and files at the close of the business day. This is to obviously stop such theft from happening, but it does not always work. What I found happening was a group of assistants were making the safe "correct." Since money at the theatre was never handled by just one or two people per shift (a security flaw I've pointed out on more than one occasion) there sometimes tends to be a closing discrepancy from the start/mid-shift safe counts. This could be from manager error while giving out change or just theft by the management personnel. Anyhow, to make the safe even at the end of the night, they would get ahold of ticket stubs and refund the money back into the safe. One way of doing this would be to enter an auditorium and search for stubs while another is to simply ask for the stubs back while the patrons are exiting the theatre. Someone is getting the money and it isn't the theatre. It's an unfortunate situation... one that I don't care to hear about because I simply don't want to believe people actually do this. I've notified my superior and its up to them as to which direction to take it... if they're not bothered, then I will go on doing my own business of being honest and leave the dishonest to get what they deserve.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2001 06:14 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, your assistant wasn't fired for theft, as you never caught him in the act. Your assistant was fired for lack of competence in handling receipts and tickets. Whether the person stole it or not is almost irrelevant to the termination process, but you open yourself wide open for a slander charge if you can't prove your theft charge.

The ticketing system I designed does not let you refund a ticket that is outside of the ticket series sold for the day, and the person doing the refunding has to log in with their password. Whether the logs are audited or not is up to the owner. You might want to consider upgrading your software to mine, and following my suggested security procedures. Usually, if there is one bad apple in a barrel, you'll find others. I won't rant why my system is better, because I don't think it appropriate to the forum, but it is a better tool for curtailing theft than most other systems. Email me atTheOgre@TheatreSupport.com if you want to know more about why it is superior.

Have I had similar situations? Sure. I've fired more cashiers, assistants, and managers than I care to recall. By following paperwork properly, I was usually able to nip most theft before it got beyond a few bucks. I won't post exact methods here, but by following figures and employee logs most theft can even be caught remotely.

One of the sadder times I had firing an assistant took place a number of years ago. This person was taking change money from the safe at odd hours, as well as little bits of cash from various cashiers, who were adament that they were not "short". The projectionist and I narrowed the field of suspects down, and when the assistant came into the booth and hid some money in their street clothes, the projectionist found it and we had the confrontation.

The person totally broke down when confronted with the irrefuatble evidence. As this assistant was the offspring of a cop from a neighboring town, I suggested use of the phone in my office to contact our police station and make a clean breast of it. The person did, got a light sentence and had to pay restitution, and then moved on with life to more honest pursuits. Most kids today would laugh at doing this, plead not-guilty and try to beat the rap.

When dealing with money, you cannot trust anyone. Period. It is a hard lesson, but one most of us learn it. I don't mean to be harsh, but if this much money walked away, you have been very lax in your cash control.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-17-2001 12:34 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry said:
Usually, if there is one bad apple in a barrel, you'll find others.

Absolutely. In my experience, they will teach each other how to do it. For a good amount of time, I was the one called in to "clean up a mess" for the DM and have caught groups from 2 to 20 embezzling. From cashiers all the way up to general managers.

Ack. I'm glad I don't do that job anymore.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2001 12:12 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, I feel your pain. While figuring out who is doing wrong is a challenge, the reality of having to confront and terminate sucks.

The theft rings last for at least a year, as well. Often the employees stealing are school age, they tell their friends, and those friends apply for work later, hoping to skim off a few bucks. It pays to have at least one employee who knows the cliques at the local school.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-18-2001 11:46 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
You know you're having a fun time when it's necessary to call competing chain's DM and "strongly suggest" that she closely audit such-and-such theater, paying particular attention to this-and-that, because of "an event" at our theater, and the "involved parties" [under duress ] "gave certain suggestions" of who they learned from.

Oh, well, keep your enemies closer!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-18-2001 04:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a customer once that was playing Lion King and while the concession grosses were phenominal the ticket sales were not so good. He thought that strange and had a video security camera installed above the ticket window. The person was quickly caught and was brought into the office and shwon the tape. He was given the choice of the theater calling the police or paying back all monies taken. The persons parents were also called in regardless. The kid eventually confessed to steeling more than 16K in cash. What he did was to sell a group of people a single ticket, issue the group one ticket and pocket the rest of the money. The owner then installed a computerized ticketing system to help eliminate any of this type of rif raff in the future. The kid, did eventually pay back all of the stolen moneys as well.
Mark @ GTS

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-19-2001 09:43 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a jaded view when it comes to employee honesty. I am probably one of the older members of Film-tech and have from my inception into this industry been aware of people dipping into the till for their own benefit. One usher I worked with when we were in high school was so brazen that he would actually let people in the exit door pulling them off the line and saying "Exact Change Only - This way in". He of course was caught but not before he let 50 people in at $2.00 a head. Yes that was in the 50's. Like others who have answered this post before me, I have dismissed, fired or just let resign literally hundreds of people. Some were easy, especially when caught red handed.
Jail terms from a year to 20 years depending on the severity. One employee was charged with attempted murder after he knocked the manager on the head with a pipe as he was at the night depository. Some were clever, some were not but they all were thieves and they all got what they deserve. To the young people coming into the industry today, remember, you have to look at yourself in the mirror every morning. "To thine own self be true." Shakespeare.

Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2001 10:37 AM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Lord!!!
Was/is the Manager ok now???

------------------

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2001 05:56 PM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It all boils down to who is intelligent and who is not. Are you smart enough to catch a scam in the act? Are your employees clever enough to pull it off?
Dang!
Got to run right now. I'll post more later!

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2001 05:11 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If someone is caught in theft w/o concrete evidence, you can always use the "Best Interest of <insert company name here>" speech. Works like a charm.

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2001 07:56 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen a bunch of scams at the theatres I have worked at. I helped bust a ring of exit door admiting Ushers. It was a 2 building complex and I spent a few saturday nights on the roof with a cam corder.

Another was a Concessionist, who was a math genius and would give customers acurate totals, but would only ring in about a quarter of the merchandise, and pocket the rest. Again caught on film.

At the same theatre, there was a long running scam where with a few exceptions only student tickets were printed up, but the appropriate monies were collected. I am poroud to say that as an usher I busted the scam when a group of 4 older patrons handed me student tickets.

And the list goes on and on . . .

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2001 01:05 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the places I have worked, Theatres seem to have more theft problems. One of the biggest reasons, in my opinion, as that the staffing needs of most theatres are so great, and the amount of payroll is so limited, that the theatres are forced to hire anyone who breathes.

For example, my theatre hires for around $6.00 an hour for floor positions. Compared to most theatres, thats pretty good... However, the sporting goods store next to us hires at $7.50... The Arbys down the street hires at $9.00. With those differences, it becomes very hard to get employees, and we end up, frequently, hiring people that the other places wouldn't...

For example, at the end of last summer wewere short on concessionists.. Since we were not getting many good applicants, the concession manager basically started hiring anyone with a pulse... Concession shortages went as high at 10% of sales.

Now, we have stopped hiring everyone with a pulse (and are extremely short staffed)... Concession shortages are around one third of one percent now.. Concession lines on a Saturday night, however, frequently have a 30 minitue wait.. (and per caps are off as much as 40 cents).

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-25-2001 12:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently installed a new theatre to people that are brand new to the theatre business. One of the things I made sure to point out was to watch out for your "silent partners!"

They didn't believe in such a small townt that such a thing could happen....(I'm sure as time goes, they will learn).

I feel the issue is a good part of being a CASH business...as credit cards become more common place it will be harder to "pocket" the money.

In the 80s, the company I worked for had contests for the patrons on their popcorn cups/tubs...there was a pull tab and if you won you got some passes or concessions or something...the real goal behind it was not customer good-will (god forbid!) but to get the customers in on the act of damaging the popcorn containers so they couldn't be resold. I mean, why pay your employees to do such a thing when customers will do it for you! ;-)

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-25-2001 05:31 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our theater hired a young lady for concession stand duties. Her resume indicated she was in college studying law enforcement.

She was caught red-handed with her fingers in the cash drawer. Basically, what she did was ring up the sale, put the money in the drawer, and when nobody was looking (so she thought) she voided the sale and took the money out of the drawer and put it in her pocket.

Because of her resume, we were shocked! But actually, if you ask yourself, "What is the best way to beat the system", you will probably find the answer is to study the system to see how it works.

Naturally, she was fired on the spot!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: