Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Regal closing theatres in Nashville

Author Topic: Regal closing theatres in Nashville
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2001 07:46 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got word this morning that Regal is closing the "Courtyard Cinemas" in Hermitage (which is a suburb of Nashville). They are "referring" all of their customers to the new "Regal 20/Imax" @ Opry Mills" which opened in the spring of 2000.

|  IP: Logged

Matt Basford
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2001 07:30 PM      Profile for Matt Basford   Email Matt Basford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many seem to be sad to see it go

Paul Rich
Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2001 12:20 AM      Profile for Paul Rich   Email Paul Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as they keep the Green Hills 16, I'll be happy. They get all the good movies and have great sneak previews.

Although the Carmike 16 I work at in Murfreesboro is actually getting smaller films now. We've had O Brother for a couple of weeks and it's our 2nd best selling movie. We're getting Crouching Tiger and Chocolat on Friday (finally). I pray we get Billy Elliot (which I saw at Green Hills) and Shadow of the Vampire.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2001 09:09 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the article that appeared in the Nashville newspaper yesterday........

Regal Cinema’s 8-screen theater in Hermitage closing
By CANDY McCAMPBELL
Staff Writer

Regal Cinemas Inc. is closing its Courtyard 8 theater in Hermitage because the complex didn’t make the cut in the company’s periodic ratings of all its properties.

Knoxville-based Regal, with more than 378 locations in 32 states, is undergoing a financial restructuring as it competes in a market where there is more supply and less demand.

The Hermitage eight-plex "was identified as an underperforming location," Dick Westerling, Regal senior vice president for marketing and advertising, said yesterday.

No other Regal Cinemas theaters in the Nashville area are scheduled to go dark right now, he said, adding that "the Nashville theaters overall perform extremely well."

Started in 1989, Regal went public in 1993 and was taken private in 1998 by Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. and Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst.

It closed 42 locations last year, but Regal has not made up a final list for all the properties that will be closed, Westerling said.

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2001 10:32 AM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard from a source that works at Regal, when they shut down the theater ( Regal leased the building )Someone was removing chairs and speakers so that another theater could not come in and take over. They were caught by the owner of the building and his lawyer who are going to lease the theater to someone else.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2001 11:47 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't understand the logic behind trashing a place... especially when your (Regal)just walking away from it.

My ex-wife and I met there on our first "blind" date. Although that was in March of 1990, it was a great theatre then.

It was originally opened by another theatre chain, and they used to show trailers on video screens in the lobby. When Regal took over, the video monitors were removed and fake plastic plants were put in their place.

For people like me who dream of being able to open my own theatre one day, I hope the building owner and his lawyer nail "them" to the wall.

If I'm not mistaken, that leaves only 4 screens in the Hermitage/Mt. Juliet area.

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2001 12:19 PM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh BTW you are correct the Hermitage 4 is still open. That's an old one too.

Paul Rich
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2001 02:33 PM      Profile for Paul Rich   Email Paul Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If that Mark C. fellow did what is alleged, then he'll be bored at the 27, it looks like someone else has already vandalized that place. The 27 looks like a theater in a third world country.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: