Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » A Need for More Security (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A Need for More Security
Frank Rapisardi
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2001 11:32 AM      Profile for Frank Rapisardi   Email Frank Rapisardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This past weekend an 11 year old boy was at Regal Cinemas in Springfield Ma.He had just seen(as reported by t.v.newscasts) the slasher film Valentine.He called his parents for a ride home after the movie.He was waiting in their arcade and got into a fight with another young man believed to also be 11 years old.The second youth stabbed him to death . This took place within the confines of the theater!What the hell is going on.!) !1) How did he get in,? and 2) Where was the theter staff?

------------------

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-05-2001 04:02 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, I just read about that today. I could not believe it. I almost choked on my coffee.

I think we are going to see some political fallout on this incident, in addition to possible lawsuits against Regal.

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2001 08:33 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charleston Police officers are allowed by the city to "moonlight" in uniform for private businesses.

I use their services on occasion if I feel the content of a film will draw in the rowdys. It's a little expensive (when compared to floor staff wages), but I have never been questioned for hiring them. My boss calls it "an ounce of prevention".

The question "Where was the theatre staff?" was a bit unfair. 90% of the staff were probably teenaged part-timers who were never expected, or trained, to act as security agents for the theatre.

Our use of armed officers is rare and was never even considered for our run of "Valentine".

I would hope that any lawsuit against Regal would charge that Regal had the ability to see the future and then failed to act.

It was a tragedy that could have happened anywhere, in any type of business or on any playground.

It's a shame, but that's just the way it is today. I can't see any fault on Regal's behalf.

Russ

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-05-2001 09:12 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Russ, it is my understanding that Regal uses managers who are much older than teen-agers. If a scuffle was starting, any floor employee should have noted that and called the manager immediately. Regal does not seem to believe in projectionists. They want the manager/operator concept. Chances are, the manager was in the booth or someplace else that made him "inaccessable" when he or she was needed the most, that being an emergency.

In my last observation of a Cineplex theater in this area (in a mall) a security staff was available to stop something before it ever got started. They were specifically hired for that. And, the security personnel and managers were not young people, they were in their 20's and 30's.

Security at this theater is very tight, and nobody ever complained about it.

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2001 09:18 PM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theatre that I am currently working at always has at least two police officers on duty on the weekend. This past weekend me and my GM made sure that one of the officers, an usher, or one of us was standing at the auditorium doors of valentine for this exact reason. As far as crowd control goes ushers should be trained on how to at least say "what are you doing, show me your ticket, get to your movie." I believe all theatres should have some sort of security on the really busy days. I know that every theatre doesn't have cops like we do but my theatre is located on the "bad" side of town. When you work with us you learn haw to handle these type of situations.

Scott Oakley
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2001 10:43 PM      Profile for Scott Oakley   Email Scott Oakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I agree that this incident was a tragedy that shouldn't have happened I think a better question than "where was the theatre staff?" would be "where were the parents?"

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2001 10:58 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SCOTT!!

Be careful!! The voice of reason is not as appreciated as it used to be! (LOL)

Regal should have had Hawk missiles on the roof to thwart a possible attack by a deranged Cessna pilot!

*Geez, they'll let anyone have a pilot's license!*

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2001 11:17 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this is the time to be blaming this tragedy on the parents or on the theater...How old is the age to start blaming the child??? He's not 4, he's 11...he knew he was killing someone.

------------------
"Blood is thicker then blondes" - From the movie, Save the last Dance.

FUNNY!!!!!

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2001 11:23 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree rachel to a point but we all knew was going to happen sooner or later people use theatres as inexpensive babysitters and dont care about thier kids for 2 hours. In mass it is illegal to leave a child under 13 by themselves. ITS THE LAW FOLKS NO KIDS UNDER 13 WITHOUT PARENTS OR GUARDIANS. I believe the parents should be charged for abondining thier child which faccilitated the murder.

------------------
I love to smoke I smoke seventhousand packs a day and I'm never F*&ing quittin!-- Denis Leary

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-06-2001 01:08 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean, I didn't know that was a law in MA. So we have a commodity of errors. The parents dumped the kids off, and the theater did not question their age when they sold them their tickets. And, when the scuffle started, nobody stepped in. Then it was too late.

Things sure fell through the cracks, didn't they?

Frank Rapisardi
Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2001 06:43 AM      Profile for Frank Rapisardi   Email Frank Rapisardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Security. My biggest concern is how did an 11 year old boy; and probabley many get into this film? To those who blame the parents;your 100% correct. However the theater company should be checking I.D's This doesn't sit well.Is the dollar more important than a childs life. Maybe Washington is right with their concerns about our industry! I don't know. All I know is that this sickened me! Thi should never have happened.Everyone that responded so far is correct. The parents should have known what the kids were going to see.However Regal Cinemas should not have let them in ,in the first place.

------------------

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2001 11:42 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks, the fact is that the theatre has no responsibility to card people. it is not the law. If its a policy that they did not follow through with then they could probably get sued but i dont know if it will hold up. I think its the parents 100%. The parents should be charged with negligent manslaughter or some such thing.

------------------
I love to smoke I smoke seventhousand packs a day and I'm never F*&ing quittin!-- Denis Leary

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-06-2001 12:17 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean, perhaps the theaters should take the responsibility of carding questionable ages. Many theaters do, in fact, card these individuals. We do in our small theater chain, and we have had positive feedback from some parents. Of course, we have received some flack, also. If the kids don't bring a note from their parents, we call the parents. Some of them had a cow when we asked them, and thanked us for being concerned. Obvoiusly, we have a good reputation in this area.

As I have said before, if we don't take steps to police ourselves, the government eventually will do it for us.

Personally, I am sick and tired of hearing the old phrase, "It is not my responsibility". That is a cheap cop-out.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-06-2001 12:31 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, I certainly agree with you.

This is another reason why I walked out on Regal. My standards are a little higher than theirs when it comes to dealing with patrons and how I treat the employees.

Also, if I was to do it over again with Regal, I would do it exactly the same way, except I would walk out sooner.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 02-06-2001 05:45 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My question about this whole unfortunate and tragic incident is where was the arcade located in the theatre complex? Was it a separate room off of the lobby? What staff had a view of the arcade? Is anyone assigned to frequently monitor the arcade?

In my limited experience with megaplexes, it always seems that the arcade is a room off of the lobby, frequently very dark, oppressively noisy, and not visibly monitored by any staff.

While a killing is the most extreme thing that could go wrong is such a setting, it also seems to be a perfect setting for vandalism, harrasment and an assortment of other infractions.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: