Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Auditorium Sconces & Carpet

Author Topic: Auditorium Sconces & Carpet
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2001 03:11 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay,
Who do you think makes the best auditorium sconces? I like the ones Famous Players uses! What do you think?

Also, does anyone know of companies that sell the funky megaplex carpet? Do you know websites for them?

------------------
Andrew McCrea

"I'm Not Bad, I'm Just Drawn That Way!" - Jessica Rabbit

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2001 03:19 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,

You seem to be playing catch-up here.

Once per year Box Office magazine prints a directory of Cinema Suppliers.

Here's a link. http://www.boxoff.com/links.html

Film Journal also has industry listings. Film Journal Guides:
Blue Sheets
International Distribution Guide
Equipment Guide
Exhibition Guide
http://filmjournal.com/

There is also the Movie Theatre Yellow Pages Directory available through the Independent Marketing EDGE. They are $9.95 each available through them.

Independent Marketing Edge
517 South 22nd Avenue, Suite 3
Bozeman, MT 59718
(406) 587-1251 Fax: (406) 586-1571

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 01-31-2001 04:37 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,

visit www.durkan.com they are a major manufacturer of commerical carpet for both theatres and the hospitality industry. They have both tasteful and hideous stuff.

Ky

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2001 07:05 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got an e-mail from Cineplex or Famous, I don't know who.. probably was from Famous...

They said their sconces were bought from Litemor (http://www.litemor.com) and that the sconces were custom made! WHOA!

------------------
Andrew McCrea

"I'm Not Bad, I'm Just Drawn That Way!" - Jessica Rabbit

Chris Duvall
Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2001 01:32 AM      Profile for Chris Duvall   Email Chris Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful of the Cineplex ones. I ran a an old 6 plex built by Cineplex that Regal had gained through their massive buy-out antics a few years back. The sconces I had there were imported from Italy and each unit cost us about $700 on my P&l's everytime I had to get one replaced. I eventually had them all replaced with some functional American built stuff that had a somewhat close match and cost much cheaper.

Just remember Andrew, try to keep simple yet elegant. Cineplex in the late 80's went under because of buying overexpensive marble, paintings, sconces and etc. On the hand don't go too cheap either. I have worked in some my own company's built locations that the Regal had cut a few corners. That became a huge maintenance nightmare later. In short, get items that are known to last but not too expensive that will hurt your wallet in the long run when they fail.

My father was know to say K.I.S.S.
(Kee It Simple, Stupid)

This applies here as well.

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Regal Cinemas
Colonnade 14
Las Vegas, Nevada

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: