Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » New Cretors popper

Author Topic: New Cretors popper
Andy Bergstrom
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2001 03:08 PM      Profile for Andy Bergstrom   Email Andy Bergstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any experience with the new one piece top Cretors popcorn popper? We have recently purchased 2 new ones and are experiencing poor quality popcorn. The popcorn seems to be extremely tough and slightly burned. All the usual things (oil quanity, thermostat setting, etc) are textbook perfect. Is it something to do with the extra hieght of the new cover?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2001 05:42 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Tough" corn is a sign of too much moisture left from popping. The flipping open of the lid of a popper is to help release that moisture while the heat is still being applied. "Burnt" tasting corn can be due to a number of things.

Forget the textbook when popping, and do some test batches. My guess is that you'll be happier with a larger charge of corn and less oil. The larger charge will open the lid faster, and using slightly less oil will increase the pop-out and "dryness" of the corn. Any possibility you were shipped some improperly stored corn that lost some of the moisture content?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-30-2001 06:13 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I respectfully disagree with "forget the textbook". I would highly recommend you contact Cretors about the problem. You might have a bad batch of popcorn. I have noticed a quality difference when the popcorn is added, and THEN the oil. A hot kettle will break the oil down, and the popcorn just doesn't taste as good. Make a few test batches, and promptly throw them out. After several batches, if it tastes burned, obvoiusly the kettle is getting too hot.

Scott Oakley
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2001 07:25 PM      Profile for Scott Oakley   Email Scott Oakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have two of these kettles at my theatre as well, and I have not been impressed. It is extremely easy to burn the corn, even if a lot of it hasn't popped yet. I also don't like the"one-piece" design which easily falls apart into several pieces if your not careful while dumping. I personally prefer the wingnuts and bolts of other kettles which kept the lid on tight as long you kept it screwed down. Oh, and the grate at the bottom of the bin is just ridiculous. Apparently no one bothered to check the size of a corn kernal when they designed this thing. The holes aren't big enough to allow even the smallest kernal to fall through. Its pretty much good for filtering out all of the microscopic crumbs. Its a good thing our popcorn bins have lots of well sized holes to get rid of the kernals or the customers would be getting nothing but unpopped corn!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-01-2001 06:08 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, is it possible to turn the thermostat down on those kettles? I have never seen the new style, so I really don't know. Thanks.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2001 08:34 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would call Cretors for sure. Sounds like either you thermal cut out on the heating elements is too high or you *could* very well have a bad batch of corn. I recall having to order new thermo's for 11 brand new 4400-D warmers (Server products) becuase the high temp they produced cuased some sort of chemical reaction/breakdown of the canola oil we pop in. The result? employees with watery eyes and a funny smell from the corn itself. Also had a bland taste after 20-30 minuutes in the warmers...I know you were talking poppers, but it made me think of the warmer situtaion I had a few years ago..

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2001 12:14 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please try to use a different oil than canola. I won't repeat my rant, but that stuff is bad news that was foisted on the theatre industry. Watery eyes are signs of allergic and toxic reactions. The max recommended oil temp of Canola for french frying is 188 C. and the flash point is not much higher.

I took Andy at his word when he said "All the usual things (oil quanity, thermostat setting, etc) are textbook perfect. " but if he hasn't used a thermometer and is depending on the cretors thermostat, his setting could be off. Another thought is that he might have a measuring cup that is too small for the kettle. Each kettle size is designed around a particular charge of corn. A 20 oz charge in a 32 oz design kettle won't work well.

Just for fun- http://www.popweaver.com/scifair.htm

Andy Bergstrom
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2001 10:26 PM      Profile for Andy Bergstrom   Email Andy Bergstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an update on the new kettle situation.
I talked with Cretors and they were very helpful! I think it is a combination of bad seed and a higher lid with no oil hole in it.
Will let you know the final outcome. Thanks for all the help.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: