Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » UA Theatre in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Author Topic: UA Theatre in Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2001 03:56 PM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anyone had any information about the UA Turtle Creek 9 Theatre in Turtle Creek Mall in Hattiesburg, Mississippi? I am thinking about relocatimg there and would like some information. I would prefer personal emails for responses TimInOkla@aol.com
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Jack Culpepper
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2001 11:53 AM      Profile for Jack Culpepper   Email Jack Culpepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI TIM: I AM FROM HATTIESBURG AND AM NOW LIVING IN GULFPORT WHICH IS ABOUT 60 MILES SOUTH ON THE GULFCOAST. I VISITED THE CONSTRUCTION SITE MANY TIMES BEFORE IT WAS OPENED. BEING A FRIEND OF THE FIRST MANAGER OF THE THEATRE I GOT TO WATCH IT BEING BUILT FROM THE GROUND UP, INSIDE AND OUT. THE TURTLE CREEK MALL IS VERY NICE AND THE THEATRE IS LOCATED IN A PRIME LOCATION WITHIN THE MALL. ALL IN ALL ITS A VERY NICE SET UP AND I LEARNED A LOT OF INTERESTING THINGS BY VISITING THE BOOTH A NUMBER OF TIMES. ONE OF THE FIRST PROJECTIONIST TAUGHT ME A LOT WHICH HELPED WHEN I WENT TO WORK FOR UATC AS PROJECTIONIST AT THE BILOXI 10 ON THE GULF COAST. IF YOU DO TRANSFER, I THING YOU WILL LIKE THE SITUATION. GOOD LUCK.

Rick McCluney
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2001 05:34 PM      Profile for Rick McCluney   Email Rick McCluney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I serviced that theatre up until mid October, 2000. It is the best theatre in town but has not had a strong booth staff for sometime due to a high turnover rate. It has all Christie equipment. The 2 big houses have Dolby CP 65's and are bi-amped with 3 QSC 1400s and 2 QSC MX1500a for surround and sub. They also have 4kw consoles. The other 7 houses have 2kw consoles with Ultra Stereo JS 200's. If you have any questions just e-mail me.

Rick

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2001 01:52 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry if this is old news, but apparently the "beautiful" Beverley Drive-In
is to re-open commercially there. You see pictures in various books of this lovely outdoor. The lady who owns it still lives in the screen tower and in fact, the theatre has been showing films a couple times a year for charity.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-22-2001 07:02 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The Beverly Drive-In has a website at http://www.geocities.com/the_beverly with history, pix, etc.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2001 11:58 PM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Beverly re-opens every year for an ARC benefit. It could stay open all summer, but the owner prefers to just to open for the ARC benefit to keep it a big event & big draw.

Dr. Hargroder lives in the really neat home built into the screen tower. She grew up there with her folks, & it's now her home also. I'm sure she loves the magnificent long alley of of magnolias, but I wonder if she misses the mini golf in the front yard. It's a great home.

The astounding, wonderful, unstoppable Rene Brunet somehow had a technical hand in de-mothballing the Beverly for the first ARC benefit.

The Beverly is one of those theaters that hasn't yet had a picture that does it justice. It's very handsome, graceful & endearing.

It's got a bit of neon out at the top though, hope they get it fixed by summer!

Rene Brunet manages the Joy & Prytania theatres in New Orleans as well as the former New Orleans Loew's State now State Palace rave central, see his picture at http://www.theprytania.com/main.html
That site says that Rene Brunet has been in the movie industry over 50 years. That must be from an old bio.

The Beverly has two screens, one (the "newer", pole & plywood screen) is damaged & will not likely be replaced. Chack the concession stand/booth: in front on the asphalt you can see the foundations of the original "booth".

Hattiesburg also has a Saenger Theatre, but it will never again show a movie. Somebody talked them into gutting the booth to install the house mix position there, of all things. Now they will find that no bus & truck will mix from there, & they'll be back on the floor. They "restored" (wiped the oil off) one of the projectors which is on display downstairs & identified by the lamp, something like "original Aschcraft projector". The theatre has been refurbished & remodeled (called "restored", of course), & there are a thousand weird artifacts. They got a new sign for the facade, duplicated from photos, but then hung it much lower than the photo - yes it looks strange. Why - dunno. The auditorium is boasted to be "back in its original colors, & looks just like it did opening day", which is a selective truth. The interior paint is the original tan/neutral color, but as is modern practice the 3-color general lighting was replaced with just white. So the auditorium originally looked like a million different colors, but certainly not the bland color it is now. Originally, it looked like any color of the rainbow *other" than any color shining white light on it.

The Hattiesburg Saenger was an art deco theater that had a sort of uninformed 70's deoc revisionist job done to it, & now the current job. Sort of sad, it had an outstanding original Vitaphone booth & could have been quite a draw for convention-based & University-based film series. But the booth was gutted for a purpose that it a purpose that a liitle research would have revealed to be a weird fantasy ("Mix from behind a plate of glass up there lady? Yeah right, look at our rider & set me up on the floor back of house left") Few things can be more startling, powerful, & devestating than the combination of the arrogance of willfully ignorant people in power with consultants who will recommend anything to dazzle the uninformed & take their money.

I know that I can't be the only one who has noticed that the most recent decade's architectural style is something I call Neo-Klunkoid: everything looks like trying to make neoclassical stuff out of a set of huge kid's blocks. Banks, etc. especially look this way. The Hattiesburg Saenger's latest revision has had its attached commercial/meeting spaced modified in the Neo-Klunkoid style. Yes, in ten years, the Neo-Klunkoid components in the art deco building will be as obviously poor taste work as gold shag carpeting in the Parthenon.

If you go to Hattiesburg, every now & then make a road trip to Meridian & visit the Temple theatre for a beautiful experience.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: