Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » The passing of a dear friend

Author Topic: The passing of a dear friend
Andrew Poulain
Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2001 11:05 AM      Profile for Andrew Poulain   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Poulain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On January 14 Bill Tannehill, manager of the Century 21 Theatre in San Jose, CA passed away. He leaves behind a wife and three children.

Bill started managing theaters in the late 40’s after serving in the Navy during WWII. Bill has managed theaters for Fox West Coast, Mann Theatres and finished his career with Century Theatres, spending the last 17 years at the Century 21. Bill operated a theater that always strived for perfect presentation and was voted the best theater in the South Bay by many news publications and consumer polls.

Bill will be greatly missed by the community, the people he influenced, and the ones who loved him.

------------------
Andrew M. Poulain
Field Service Technician
THX Division
Lucasfilm Ltd.
apoulain@thx.com
415-492-3955
Cel: 415-302-0825

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2001 02:45 AM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, that is really too bad. I am sorry to hear it. The Century 21 was the first movie theater I visited when I moved to California 3 years ago, for a showing of "Titanic". As I recall, the presentation was excellent. It is a beautiful single-screen theater will an enormous domed roof and stadium seating (apparently built even before stadium seating became trendy!) It is also (I believe) one of the few remaining theaters in Northern California with 70mm capability.

Bill's legacy lives on, though; I just got back from a showing of "Hannibal" at the Century 21, and I was duly impressed. Presentation was outstanding. The image was very bright and steady, with not a single scratch or speck of dirt anywhere in sight. The sound system did an excellent job of filling the auditorium's huge space with full, clear sound. People were lined up around the side of the building, standing out in the rain, just to see a movie at this theater. I hope the Century 21 never closes.
------------------
Aaron Haney
Professional Complainer
Apple Computer, Inc.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2001 11:26 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew, I am very sorry to hear of Bill's passing. I knew him for years! I used to service many of the houses he was in charge of! Please pass my condolences to the Family!

------------------
John Eickhof President, Chief Slave
Northwest Theatre Equipment Co., Inc.
P.O.Box 258
Wendell, ID. 83355-0258
208-536-5489
email: jeickhof@nteequip.com

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-17-2001 02:16 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just visited the 21 just yesterday. It is a fantastic building. I had heard of his passing. The Century family of theaters will miss him I am sure. My condolences.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: