Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » And Your Multiplex Is Called?... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: And Your Multiplex Is Called?...
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2000 07:11 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Everyone...
I just have a question. I was talking to my friend who lived in Colorado and she said that the theatres there don't have names. She said that they have multiple screens, but aren't named anything.

Here in Winnipeg (That's in Manitoba, Canada), We have 2 theatres called SilverCity. One at Polo Park (14 screens) & one connected to St. Vital Mall (10 screens). At SilverCity St. Vital, You can enter through the mall and parking lot. At those SilverCity Theatres, you don't have to buy a ticket. You can lobby around in the lobby, watch light shows and blimps fly around etc.
So, my question is, Do you Have Multiple Theatres With Cool Names? What are they called?

Thanx!
Andrew McCrea

P.S. Include the name (polo park), whre it is and how many screens.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2000 08:22 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theater is called "Cinemark Movies 8" Kinda bland - but does the trick.

Matt Gardner
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2000 11:06 AM      Profile for Matt Gardner   Email Matt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre is the Palmetto Grande 16. Palmetto because the Palmetto tree is our state tree and Grande because the theatre is pretty damn big.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2000 12:32 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most new theatres are named poorly. One new theatre here in Santa Rosa is named the Roxy which is cool. But the sign out front says Stadium 14.

That's like saying I drive an In-Line 4 and live in a Textured Plywood Special.

All good things and a few bad things should have names.

I drive "Norge". My cat's name is Athena and I work at the Rialto Cinemas Lakeside. As you can see our name has a name, description and a location. But alas, nobody gets it.

p.s. I have been to the Palmetto Grand, and yes it is very large.

Erik Schill
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2000 12:57 PM      Profile for Erik Schill   Email Erik Schill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My place of employment is called the Hoyts Greece Ridge Cinimas 12, we got 12 screans and we are in the Greece Ridge Mall, can't get in the theatre unless you go in the mall, kinda sucks when the mall forgets to open the doors on holidays for us.....happens a lot too

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2000 02:31 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is the Broadway 16. Named so becuase of the 16 screens and it's location within an outdoor shopping/dining complex called, Broadway at The Beach.

If youd like to see what BATB is al about, head to http://www.broadwayatthebeach.com

I think you might even see the theatre there but I'm not sure. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, so I never look at the page..

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-16-2000 03:02 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean that there are multiplexes that have actual _names_?

Just about every one that I've seen uses the same formula: [insert company name here] [insert city/mall/major landmark name here] [insert the word "stadium" here if the place has stadium seating] [insert number of screens here]. I thought this was pretty standard.

All the theatres where I've worked (built in 1930, 1933, and 1993) have had boring names, but the award for "worst theatre name" has to go to "The United Artists" in the picture gallery...

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2000 12:08 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark Legacy

24 screens. Main address in the Central expressway which runs infront of our building but Legacy run through the "upturned noses" section of town so it gives an "essence" of style.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-17-2000 12:16 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's kind of funny the way ETS labels are now having the screen count printed as part of the name. So our labels now are addressed to the "Roxy 1."

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2000 12:23 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours is:

Marcus SouthShore Cinema

We're a 16 screen in Oak Creek Wisconsin (Southern Suburb of Milwaukee)

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2000 12:28 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Hollywood Hits Discount Theatres Cinema City Danvers 7" in Dnavers Mass! (It used to be loews Cinema City Danvers and the name stuck!)

------------------
I love to smoke I smoke seventhousand packs a day and I'm never F*&ing quittin!-- Denis Leary

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 12-18-2000 06:44 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently working at "The Main Office" for Century Theatres... the company likes to call their isolated markets "Century + Screen Number" -- it is kinda nice to not insult patrons by pointing out to them that they're in AURORA CO, or ANCHORAGE AK... so instead it's the Century 16. However I used get confused at the Office as to WHICH one their talkin about.

I really think AMC has it pegged -- AMC "SHOPPING DEVELOPMENT" "SCREEN #" That's all it really needs to say.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 01-05-2001 09:13 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Century 10 Cinema
Quite boring

Josh

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-05-2001 10:08 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

Is it true that the legacy has all christie equipment except for one auditorium. Wich is useing cfs, strong and a speco platter. Because Mr. Mitchel wanted the christie equipment in his home theater. Supposedly one of the theaters is like that down there.

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2001 03:29 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to own an eleven screen myself. I'd call it the Chapter 11.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: