Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How Much Does It Cost You? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How Much Does It Cost You?
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2000 06:30 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Everyone!
How much does it cost you for your film rentals?

What do you think of what you pay?

Andrew

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2000 07:58 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It varies. But this year we have been paying about 41% on average. It would be nice if we could bring it down a bit.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-08-2000 10:08 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Average 40-50%. If it was based on how well this years films have done for us it should be 5%.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2000 07:19 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
40%-50% of what? How much money would that actually be for you?

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 12-11-2000 02:39 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Box Office Gross.

Feature film rental is almost always a % of box office gross. FYI, for mainstream houses average film rental has been slowly creeping up over the past 5 years from about 50 to 55%.

Arthouse film rental runs about 40% on average.

Discount usually averages out between 30 and 35%.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2000 04:42 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian - does the cut come out of the gross or the net (after sales tax is taken out)? I always understood it was the net.

Mike

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-13-2000 11:43 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the 90/10 concept on first run films? Is that still valid, or has that been changed? I am a theater technician - so I don't know what goes on with the film rental aspect.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-13-2000 11:52 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What become of the old 90/10 rental for the first-run shows? I am a projection and sound system technician, and run movies in my spare time. I am not in the management or booking aspect. But, I sure am curious how film rentals chance so much for first run movies. (which this fall were total crap!)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-14-2000 04:34 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, if you have a Netscape browser, please use it on the forums. Internet Explorer requires you to hit the "refresh" button every time you make a post so you can see it. A real pain. If you click the "submit" button and it takes you to a "thank you" screen, it DID post and your browser is just cacheing the old page.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-14-2000 05:25 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOPS!

------------------

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2000 05:51 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Gross is figured with the Net after Tax has been taken out. Here in California, movie tickets aren't taxed making the point moot. Most ticketing systems figure out net of sales tax.

The rule is minimum film rental vs. 90/10, which ever is greater. For each theatre, each studio establishes a house allowance. The house allowance is a per seat figure, so the house allowance is the per seat figure times the number of seats in that particular auditorium. You figure the 90/10 rule by deducting the house allowance from the gross. If that figure is higher than your negotiated percentage, you pay the higher amount. (Now you know why theatres cram all those miserable seats up in front by the screens, it brings up their house allowance.)

(Note: New cinemas with stadium seating and all digital sound receive a higher house allowance than older more traditional theatres. But you do get points for having digital sound and other improvements. With this as an incentive, why do theatres hesitate to make upgrades? Example: With Sony pictures, if you install SDDS you get a higher house allowance.)

Most films are on a settlement agreement. So as long as you keep sending in the minimum amount of film rental you owe each week the studios are happy. After the film run, the accountants figure it all out, sometimes months later.

We never paid 90/10 until the Thanksgiving week of Billy Elliot. But we haven't settled yet.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-14-2000 06:12 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Ian. I remember two instances that really cost theater owners some money. One was the movie "American Graffitti" (poor Spelling) where the theater owner had to guarentee "X" number of dollars for "X" number of weeks. For the first two weeks, the house was filled (450 seats) to capacity. Then the movie died, and the last two weeks it ran to almost an empty house. The theater owner lost his shirt on that one, so he says. The other was "Return of the Jedi", and I had to carry a $25,000 Cashier's check to Seattle just to get the print in the trunk of my car. We ran that thing in a 250 seat house for 4 weeks and we didn't even make the 25,000 guarentee. In fact, we lost 5,000 on it. Quite honestly, I think the owner of that theater used hind sight when he booked that movie.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2000 07:29 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of our rules is to never pay guarantees. We do pay advances. But if a studio really wants a guarantee, we just let the film go. There are always other films to show and there's no such thing as a sure bet.

We once paid a $1,500 advance. The film made $700 for the week so we asked for and received a refund.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2002 12:07 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping this up top for Barry.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2002 12:40 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't it... I read it earlier, but this wasn't the one. The one I was talking about, Ian had posted a whole list of items that were specifically related to the "operating cost" of his theatre. Things like, lease payments, payroll, payroll taxes, insurance, accounting fee's, etc.. It was a very thorogh list from what I remember, that's why I'm hunting for it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: