Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Coke or Pepsi...which do you sell? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Coke or Pepsi...which do you sell?
Brian Potts
Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2000 02:03 PM      Profile for Brian Potts   Email Brian Potts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my theatre, we sell Coke products. Coke, Diet Coke, Mr. Pibb, and Sprite. We also sell Fruitopia, and Dansani bottled water. Anybody sell any different kinds of Coke products? How about those that sell Pepsi products? What do you have?

|  IP: Logged

Erik Schill
Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2000 03:38 PM      Profile for Erik Schill   Email Erik Schill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my theatre we also have coke products, we have coke, dt. coke, sprite, surge, pink lemmonade, fruitopia, naya bottled water, Icee, and Barq's rootbeer, but only in a 20oz bottle.

The thing that I find strangest. and I was talking to a couple people at work about this, is the fact that we have no less then 8 signs, 5 soda towers, and a cooler, that say coke on them, plus the large drinks come in a 64oz coke mug, yet at least 60-70% of people come up and ask for a pepsi, it baffles me, well over half the people, those are the same people who ask if tax is included when at the bottom uf the sign it says tax not included

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-05-2000 05:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same thing here. We have Pepsi, big sign (lighted!) on top of the pop machine in the dead center of the snack bar, people still ask for a "Large Coke." Hell, I do it myself sometimes.

We sell Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sunkist Orange, Dr. Pepper, 7-Up, Mountain Dew, Lipton ice tea, Lemonade, and spring water (bottled). Pepsi is by far the biggest seller, 2nd place probably a tie with Mtn Dew and Diet Pepsi. Worst is the Lipton tea; of the soda pops, the worst seller is the Sunkist Orange.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-05-2000 07:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Pepsi...UGH. I don't like to patronize theaters that have Pepsi products. Even though I never pay for a movie ticket, knowing where the theater really makes it's money I will ALWAYS drop a few bucks on the concession stand as a thanks for the pass. I'll drink Pepsi, but it just isn't the same. I hear Pepsi will give the theater one heck of a deal if they only sell their products and NOT Coke. I have a feeling this is true, as virtually every independent or small theater chain I've ever been to has ripped out their Coke towers and replaced them with that Pepsi crap. With the prices of drinks at the concession stand, I expect real Coke or at least a choice.

Is there a theater anywhere out there that has both products? I'd like to see their numbers for comparison.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2000 07:25 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coke.....UGH! We only sell Pepsi produvts around here. Pepsi gives us top notch service. Alot of theaters here tried Coke, but Coke gave very bad service to the theaters AND WOULD NOT DO ANY REPAIRS ON HOLIDAYS! Pepsi comes right out no matter what day it is, holiday or not. There have been a few times where a fountain head or carbonator would go out on a busy holiday and Pepsi would bust their ass to get it back in service again. Coke would always say, "we can't get to you till Monday".
Needless to say that because of their outstanding service I always recommend Pepsi.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 12-05-2000 08:10 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to dispense Coke at my old company -- until one day Pepsi came in and offered us CASH to switch to Pepsi.

Here's how it works -- to the best of my knowledge.

COKE offers advertising support. IE. if I want to print combo coupons that drive a particular Coke product such as Mr. Pibb -- then Coke will pay to have those coupons made. If I want a policy trailer made that has Coke predominantly displayed -- Coke will foot part of the bill.

PEPSI doesn't offer advertising support. What they do instead is offer you a yearly advertising fund based on the number of gallons you sell at each location. What you do with this money is up to you. If you feel you need to advertise that you have Pepsi - you can spend it on signage and promotions or whatever. However -- since most theatres ONLY SELL ONE BRAND -- you really don't need to advertise. So most people spend this money on their snack bar sign etc. when they first open a theatre.

It makes sense to me -- the people at Coke were SOO geared toward locations where people had a choice of Coke vs. Pepsi. I repeatedly told them "I don't care to do a promotion. The people are going to drink ONE of the Coke products... and I don't really care which one!!!"

And that's that.

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2000 09:06 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen ANY facility that served fountain drinks offer both Coke and Pepsi.

We serve Pepsi products. My only complaint is that the order center employees are so happy and polite on the phone that I want to gag!

...No, really, I feel fine....... Yes ma'am, I'll be sure to have a Pepsi day.....

I wish they would just say "What do you want?", let me tell them, have them read it back to me, and then hang up on me!!

I order on Mondays! I'm in no mood to be giddy.

Russ

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-05-2000 09:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

Just as the service at McDonald's will vary from one state/town/location to another, the service on Coke will too. I've had a really bad Coke service company, but then again, I've had a fantastic Coke service company too. It all just depends.

And yes, I have had Coke come out on a holiday.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2000 11:18 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I love Free Stuff, I love sugar, and I LOVE Caffiene. At Hollywood Hits "Discount" Theatres I get all 3! We proudly serve QUALITY Pepsi Products. Including Pepsi,Diet Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Sierra Mist (Slice), and Dr. Pepper. That quite well covers the Sugar and Caffeine for me but what about the free stuff? you ask. Well, Pepsi comes around every month or two and spends a weekend at the theatre with the Pepsi Prowler (which ive ridden in) Complete with a DJ and tons of free stuff! (Looks at his Diet Pepsi Boxers ) Plus I Took the pepsi challenge and I prefer PEPSI!

We have so much Pepsi Signage and people still ask for a coke if they do I say NO.

Pepsi also has wicked cool soda towers!

------------------
I love to smoke I smoke seventhousand packs a day and I'm never F*&ing quittin!-- Denis Leary

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-06-2000 12:09 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The brand new (about 2 months old) Pepsi towers at one place I know of are evil. They will start pouring a drink intermittently several seconds after the cup is full and the concessionist has turned his back to it. THAT's their secret to success...you must buy more Pepsi BIBs when you use their machines!

(I love taking the Pepsi challenge. I always pick Coke and the people behind the table look at me in anger like I've just murdered someone.)

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2000 12:13 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well ours dont do that. we have the kind where when the liquid comes into contact with armthingy it stops it. no holding, no buttons its great I love them. the only thing is iits kinda hard to get the heads totally clean. we use either sodawater and baking soda, or HOT water and baking soda to soak them in.

------------------
I love to smoke I smoke seventhousand packs a day and I'm never F*&ing quittin!-- Denis Leary

Lee E. Burgess
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2000 08:04 AM      Profile for Lee E. Burgess   Author's Homepage   Email Lee E. Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought and restored a theatre in Wisconsin in an area I was unfamiliar. When it came close to opening, I talked with many of the local bars, restaurants, etc. and I found that Pepsi had a lock in the area, no one sold coke products. The reason given was poor service. I called Pepsi and they wouldn't hardly give me the time of day, very unresponsive. I called Coke and they fell all over themselves to give me service. Needless to say, I have all Coke products at my Drive In and I've been very happy with the service. I mentioned Coke's rep to my sales contact and she said they reorganized and changed focus. I mentioned my switch to the bar owner near my theatre (he was complaining of Pepsi's deteriorating service) and now he serves Coke product too. Isn't competition wonderful.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2000 08:10 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear there's one area in Oregon where NEITHER Coke or Pepsi are available. They only have Royal Crown (RC) Cola!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-06-2000 08:32 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I prefer Coke. I worked in a theatre that switched from Pepsi to Coke. Sales didn't change, but the Coke supplier was easier to deal with than the Pepsi one and charged less. We never got any cool free stuff from either, but we probably weren't big enough for that sort of thing anyway. It was always fun when the CO2 cylinder ran out right in the middle of a big "rush" time and the concession people couldn't figure out how to change it and had to have me (the projectionist) do it. (Not that doing this bothered me, but it seemed to be a fairly trivial thing to do...)

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2000 11:42 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... we don't have Coke products, yet we do have a fair bit of beverage variety...
Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Orange Slice, Mountain Dew, Lipton Iced Tea, Mug Root Beer, Hawaiian Punch (fruit punch), Pink Lemonade, and 7UP. Besides that we have Blue Raspberry Icees & Mountain Dew Icees, Poland Spring bottled water, and Green Mountain Coffee (regular & decaf).
That's more for options than our nearest competitors can offer!

~GLB

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: