Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Why are you in the business? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why are you in the business?
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2000 11:24 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sitting here asking myself, why did I EVER get involved with this business sometimes? When you work for one of the slowing dying major companies and get NO, I mean ZERO, appreciation from the home office along with all the other complexities of modern multi-screen theatre operation. I'm surely not in this line of work for the MONEY! At least for the company I work for anyway. Others may pay more, maybe lots more and actually give an occasional compliment. Then you have the customer, who we all know is ALWAYS right. I have finally decided that their are only a selective few people who can be satisfied in this world. They are, the people who you DON'T work for, and the people who DON'T come to your business. Don't get me wrong, there are thos ecustomers out there who make your YEAR by giving you the slightest compliment, but those are a commonplace as winning the $10 million lottery.

Regardless of how bad it gets, we still chug along, doing our best to make the customer(s) happy & the employer(s) pleased. As I said, I'm in it for the money, that's for damn sure, but I simply LOVE what I do. Having the best day EVER at my place today and hearing only 4 complaints, and very minor ones, while working WAY understaffed AND having a woman go into labor in your building is nothing more than a one of the greatest feelings I've ever had in the business! I'd be willing to bet that the home office folks have a gripe about something that wasn't good enough or wasn't right, but the fact that I was THERE and made it all happen makes it all worth while. Knowing that all those folks were entertained and fed under MY control, it's awesome!

That's the reason I'm in this business!

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

|  IP: Logged

Matt Gardner
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2000 10:29 AM      Profile for Matt Gardner   Email Matt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes Jason I ask myself that same question. Ive been working as a projectionist in theatres now for 6 years. I started when I was a senior in high school at the local Carmike 3-plex which is now closed. I then moved to the Carmike 4-plex across town which is now closed. I then moved to the Carmike 8-plex which SHOULD be closed. While working at that shithole I was offered a job at the nicest theatre in town run by Eastern Federal Corp. which is one of the best companies to work for in my opinion. After working up to Asst. Manager I moved to a Consolidated 16-plex as head projectionist. I still work there part time but my full time job is as an Imax projectionist. And now I can finally answer your question. I do love this work but I can tell you that most theatres are hell to work in and don’t pay crap. Im still doing this now because after years of working in terrible theatres I now work in two theatres that pay me very well for what I have to do, and respect my work as a profession and not an after school job.

Erik Schill
Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2000 09:01 PM      Profile for Erik Schill   Email Erik Schill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well Jason I agree totally with the first part of what you wrote, but as far as the second part, I can't say, I don't know what it's like. I am just a worthless bitch for the company. I'm the guy in the back who does EVERYTHING and never gets a "Good job, Erik" or a pat on the back, or even God Forbid a raise, instead I go on doing what I do and having all my managers get the credit for it when something is good. But if anything ever goes wrong........ I always get the blame, sometimes when I wasn't even there. Honestly I don't know why I work in this business, I guess between how much I work, and school I'm just too lazy to find another job, plus I like my job...hate the people, but like the job, however if I ever got a chance to do ANYTHING making more then I am now.....with in reason, I'd take it in a second

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2000 02:12 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to wonder the same thing.

When I started, it was for the experience of working in "the magic of the movie business!" God forbid that such magic would exist on nights here in Minnesota, when it's snowing three inches an hour, no one's coming in, and I'm stuck closing out the place. Sure, we do have fun just slacking & fooling around in our massive lobby, but it doesn't really strike me as magical!

So, I once concluded that it was the money. But what money? And for this?! Half of our staff is 15 or younger, and won't take any orders! So, I'm left with doing the menial tasks like garbage (cause' they got to be 16 to use the five foot tall compactor), and bathroom maintanence. I could be doing more respectable work at Best Buy, where my fanaticizm with DVD could be put to good use for the planet!

But then, one night (which just happened to be that snow night I told you about), this guy walks in from the snow and asks: "What digital movies do you have playing?" THIS IS WHY I'M STLL AT A THEATER!!! You see, only half of our screens our digital, the others are SR, which doesn't totally suck (hey, it could be mono!), but in terms of clarity and explosiveness, I just like digital better (at least at our theater it takes the top notch, I have heard good SR presentations elsewhere, & I'm looking to improve on ours.
But this guy's question showed me, that out of all of the 15 year olds and teenagers who make up our staff, I was probably the only one ther that night or that week (save the projectionists) that could really answer his question.

Just think of how much he wanted just one thing of our theater, and I was the one that gave it to him. Maybe that's the real magic of this industry.

Naw, probably not!

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2000 12:59 PM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well well well. Why do we stay in this business? Who knows? Your complaints (which I have heard from a lot of people including me) remind me of a story>

After work one evening the theater manager went to a local bar for a cool one. He struck up a conversation with the waitress and eventually began complaining about his job. Long hours, no recognition, low pay, rude patrons, teenage staff problems, etc. He went on and on and on.

Finally, the waitress said to him, " If you hate your job so much why don't you just find another one?"

He looked at her in shock and said. "What? And leave show business?"

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2000 05:28 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE THIS BUSINESS! How can't you?!

Andrew

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2000 01:00 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in this business because it has been good to me, I enjoy it, and I need the income to survive.

In the past 10 years, I worked my way up from a lowly weekend usher to head projectionist in charge of nine screens. I have seen my place of employment grow from a dinkey three screen to a remodeled multiplex. Throughout this time, my independent employers respected my work, put me in the positions I was most qualified for, and even let me stay at the theater ALL NIGHT LONG to type an 18 page term paper when my word processor was on the skids (yes, I did have a rough draft pre-written).

I enjoy my work because it is esentially me out there on the screen and not Jim Carrey, Harrison Ford, or Sandra Bullock. My work is just as important as those actors and actresses because if a print is scratched or an speaker is crackling, those guys works are ruined as well. I like being in the booth with the lights down and the machines humming. It gives me a scense of accomplishment. Do I say "Yeah Baby, Glad to be here!" as I start my usual every Saturday noon-to-midnight shift. Of course not, but I like my privacy and it gives me a sense that I'm getting something done. One of the best feelings I get from operating is looking over a crowd from the upstairs port just prior to pressing START, and a little kid turning around and pointing at me. I guarantee you, that kid will remember me in that window for years to come - maybe forever, and thats another reason why I enjoy this work.

Finally, like all other jobs, you work to survive. I need this income to put gas in my car; buy my cloths, food, and trinkets; and help defray the costs of living. I supplement my income through teaching at a local community college such subjects as European History and World Geography, but niether my work in movies or my part-time professorship gives me benifits. These health and safty payments are the missing link in giving me what I need for ultimate survival. I need these benifits to marry my wonderful partner of almost five years, Christie (OK, OK, I'll stop). But most importantly, I need benefits because in my family if you live past 60 your doing good. Thats not too far down the road for me folks.

Anyway, I stay in movies because I respect the job as a profession, I enjoy the atmosphere, and I earn some cash to keep me above water. Will I ever leave the booth? Sure. Will I ever forget the booth? NEVER!

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2000 02:16 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why am I in this business? I like movies, but I think I'd be a lousy filmmaker so this is the best way I can contribute; while I'm quick to criticize other people's movies even though mine would probably suck too!
One thing no one else I've worked with has done, is I watch literally EVERY movie that we get. I figure for one thing it's always good for quality control, but also it just seems like a waste to be able to see something for free and not do it just because of time. So far I haven't gotten sick of it, and if I ever do that's when I'll go do something else.
I guess being underappreciated is common though; I never felt completely appreciated at the place I spent 9 years working at, and the place I've moved to has been quicker to scold mistakes than praise the things I've fixed in the short time I've been there. 2 worthwhile things have already happened there though- someone called wanting to know which sound format certain movies were playing in and I was the only one who could answer, and one day the person working the night before had mis-framed some of the projectors, one of which I caught during the Warner Bros. logo (up too high) at the beginning of "The Exorcist" and immediately fixed, when someone in the audience turned around and looked up thanking me! Even when no one notices I still get some self-satisfaction out of it, though as time goes on I want a little more money to go along with it
When I first saw this thread I thought this would be the perfect question to hand out to EVERYONE who works at a theater; I may just have to do that at tomorrow's manager meeting!

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2000 05:11 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why am I in this business? I LOVE MOVIES!

Movies are my passion, there is nothing I would rather work around. There are definatly the down sides, teenage employees (who, when actually show up, I jump for joy) , long hours, and anyone who knows me knows how much I HATE making and breaking movies.

But, being a GM and a projectionist I get to see all aspects of the job. The best part that keeps me there would be the smiles on peoples faces when they come out of a good movie.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-11-2000 07:48 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's an ego trip. In the booth you have in your hand the switch that piss off hundreds of people at a flick. Just look out on a busy night and think "I can turn it ON and I can turn it OFF and the switch is all mine".

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2000 11:08 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see you on the forum Rachel! (finnally) Im sure youre taking great care of my old century's

------------------
I love to smoke I smoke seventhousand packs a day and I'm never F*&ing quittin!-- Denis Leary

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-12-2001 06:31 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exhuming this to let Jerry know a similar subject to his already exists. But this one is the WHY rather than the HOW.

Enjoy,

Aaron

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2001 07:53 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To put on a show!

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2001 04:23 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ask myself every day.... I still can't come up with a good answer....

JC Cowles
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2001 04:24 AM      Profile for JC Cowles   Email JC Cowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always loved management and customer services. I also love movies. I definately like making people happy by entertaining them, so a movie theater fulfills many of my desires in a job. I'd seriously consider becoming a lifer if I thought I could retire doing it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: