Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Holiday business

Author Topic: Holiday business
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2000 11:42 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope the rest of you are enjoying the holiday business as we are. People are turning out in droves for The Grinch and I can't see why. The film wasn't that good, IMO, but I'm no fan of Carrey either. Unbreakable will do well this wknd only. Word of mouth will kill it, I think. 102 just added another too many I guess. It isn't doing well from what I've seen. Anyway, hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! It's late, it's been a long & busy day, so I'm off for afew winks before the new day starts. Just glad there are no Friday openers this week! :0

JB

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2000 03:46 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I liked the Grinch, but that's not the point of this thread. If people turn out for a movie, I don't care what quality it is. If I could take a dump in a box and fill an auditorium with people to watch it, I would.

Good business? What's that? I mean, we only did 35 grand on Friday, almost beating out the Apple Valley 15. I mean, we only did 10 grand from 11:15 to 1:15 today, and another grand from 1:15 to 1:30. We only have the Grinch Interlocked so its being shown on four screens and still selling out every show. Business? Whats that .

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2000 05:01 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how big your plex is, but we are a small five-screen art house. We did $11,883 yesterday, which is our new record.

How many theatres have set there attendance records on the Friday after Thanksgiving? This is the third theatre I have worked for that has.

Erik Schill
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2000 06:07 PM      Profile for Erik Schill   Email Erik Schill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did over 7,000 people on Friday, one of our best days, our best will still be the day we opened July 1, 1998 when we did 11,000 people, but we were selling tickets for $3 even evening, and giving a small popcorn and small drink to everyone a $8.08 value. And lucky me I was doing concession that night and I was doing concession yesterday, but today I got to be in the booth and look down at the poor kids behind the stand with 500 people in the lobby

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2000 03:25 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I re-set my attendance record yesterday (Saturday). Not too bad, considering the theater has been open since October 1991. Just imagine...if only I had more than one print of the Grinch (no interlock). It'll probably work out better for me in the long-run only having one....I'm the only theater in town playing it...the later people get to see it, the bigger our cut of the gross.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2000 08:40 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had our lobby packed continuously for the entire weekend.
The matinee crowds were split between 102 dalmatians and The Grinch; and the later crowds had the ushers busy cleaning The Grinch, and to some extent, unbreakable.

Most of those big shows sold out on Friday evening and night, and for some reason, on wednesday afternoon!

Our overnight cleaning staff had so much trash in bags after cleaning out the stadium seating rows on friday that our compactor couldn't take any more! We're just putting it on the floor of the garbage room til' it gets picked up tomorrow. And I thought it reeked during the summer heat!!

------------------
"Trying is the first step towards failure!"
-Homer Simpson

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2000 09:08 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just imagine...if only I had more than one print of the Grinch (no interlock). It'll probably work out better for me in the long-run only having one....I'm the only theater in town playing it...the later people get to see it, the bigger our cut of the gross.

Normally I would agree with you Mike, but this is a Holdiay movie. I mean, a lot of people coming to see this Wednesday through Saturady were out of towners. Or they just wanted to see a movie during their vacation. Its not a Titanic where people are seeing it to just see the movie. I'd say in mid December of mid January business won't be nearly so good on this one.

Don't get me wrong, I was shaking my head when we got 3 prints of Episode 1, but I think the 3 prints for Dalmatians and 2 for Grinch were a good decision on the part of our bookings office (wow, did I just give those morons a compliment?).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: