Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Operating software (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Operating software
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2000 01:37 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an area that I have little knowledge of. Having worked for the same exhibitor for many years, I have only working knowledge of our own custom system, which *any* brain dead moron could operate. I am currently looking into other operating software/systems for future reference. I read one post tonight that the MARS software was junk. What other systems are out there? All testimonials or horror stories will be appreciated!

Regards,

|  IP: Logged

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2000 01:57 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah the MARS system isnt so hot its owned by MOviePhone which is owned by AOL so there you go. It depends on what kind of system you are looking for. Radiant is a good high end system while RTS (Ready Theatre Systems) is a great low end system. you should make a list of what you want your system to do, then shop around look at demos. A good POS while last you a while. Its a major investment to how your theatre operates a bad one will decrease productivity from the box to the back office. while a good one will make things speedy and efficient. No matter what system you choose make sure everyone is trained properly and knows how to work it.

------------------
I love to smoke I smoke seventhousand packs a day and I'm never F*&ing quittin!-- Denis Leary

Steven Gorsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2000 02:55 AM      Profile for Steven Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Gorsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Radiant set-up pretty good. We have their newest LCD touch screen based system.

As far as I know we only have one terminal with touch screen problems. The ATMs (automated ticket machine) are OK, but have their own quirks, tickets getting stuck and not dropping from the printer, and the volume is not adjustable - people walk by and touch the screen which causes it to loudly proclaim to insert your credit card as shown. The most annoying problem is when we go to "close the day" we frequently get error messages telling
us we need to call support (our managers know several of the techs names, and they know theirs).

All in all it is a nice system, and the box and concession terminals are easy to use. Now if the credit card system would work all the time it would be even better.

Greg Borr
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2000 09:32 AM      Profile for Greg Borr   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Borr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,
Send me an e-mail with your address and I'll send you the RTS demo.

Greg Borr
Sales and Marketing
Ready Theatre Systems
gborr@rts-solutions.com

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2000 10:02 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out my system at www.theatresupport.com

Also, Rusty Gordon still has Sensible Cinema, which you could check out. RTS, Theatre Support, and Sensible are the only ones that I would suggest for a smaller venue. I'll let someone else comment about the Pacer stuff still being sold.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-21-2000 10:39 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pacer?
*evil grin*

I hate it. I work at a theatre with 4 terminals. One of them always has to lock up thus shutting down that station. ours i believe is from the late 80's using two 3 1/2" floppy drives.
If the software doesn't fail, the cabling will

Josh

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2000 12:18 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I have requested information on the RTS system and I know to shy away from MARS and especially PACER stuff. The one great thing about PACER is it's ability to continually track inventory as it is sold. No waiting until the next day to verify your actual count against what the staff keyed in. HElps tremendously in eliminating thieves which seem to run rampant in this low paying, high turnover field.

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2000 02:51 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Important distinction. NO system can track the inventory itself. That would require sensors and locked boxes where withdrawing a candy bar would trip a logger.

My concession system also allows real-time monitoring of concession sales. It interfaces with a spreadsheet so that you can customize your conc reports to your heart's content.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 11-21-2000 06:30 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Sensible Cinema Box Office Pro in our box office for a 5 screen cinema. It's great. Runs fast, easy to use, easy to teach to staff, never crashes, good readable and useable reports. Rusty also offers a concessions inventory manager and a concessions POS system that we don't use but I've heard good things about them on other forums.

I worked on Theatron at another theatre and while the box office system was ok - easy to use and reasonably fast - it did have its quirks, especially the concessions pads - they have these little hiccups and lose their minds - very convenient in a Saturday night rush, so I can't recommend Theatron.

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2000 07:10 PM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to disagree with Ky about Theatron. We have two of our theatres equipped with Theatron and have not experienced any problems except for normal wear and tear on the components. Most of the problems with the concession pads are due to 440z drinks being spilled on them from time to time. We developed a plexi glass cover over the pads with an open front for access to protect against spills. I have been very pleased over the last 12 years with theatron tech support, even though they can be a little grumpy from time to time(too many stupid questions over a short period of time). I also purchased a couple of Jerry's boxoffice system (Theatre Support) and was very please with this system for a smaller theatre who can't justify a 20k+ system. Jerry has good tech support and a good selling point for owners, he takes forever to bill you for his system. I had to bug him to send me a bill before I forgot I owned him the money!

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2000 09:36 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Durn it Greg, you weren't spozed to mention that. I tend to bill inbetween projects, so sometimes I am a little late in invoicing. I do expect people to pay once I send the bills though, and everyone that pays on time gets better pricing on tickets.

I also reserve the right to be grumpy like the theatron guys. Truth be told, I still get more support calls from the few Pacer systems that I phone support, than all of the systems of mine I have out there.

My problem right now is getting enough consecutive uninterrupted time to program a couple of upgrades, your latency on the pole display for box office being one of them, and a download from a master customer list to frequent moviegoer in theatres being another. Now if I could stop distracting myself with Brad's forum... (Its his fault, don't blame me)

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2001 07:44 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINE Q all the way! It's such a great system and has many safety features! The dimmer system hooks up to the alarm system and if there's a fire alarm that goes off, the lights automatically dim up! WOW! It even stops the show if the fire alarm goes off! It's all controlled by their windows 95 and up software!
http://www.globalmic.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-27-2001 08:47 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We junked some of our older Pacer systems. Some of that stuff is still in the "out of service" room, and next step is the landfill.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-27-2001 10:08 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Another perfectly good landfill ruined with that Pacer crap.

I was pretty pleased with the OmniTerm stuff I used . . . once we got the bugs worked out from our accounting department "customizing" it.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-28-2001 03:40 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, I have to agree with you. But where else are we going to put that crap?

I pulled a dirty trick on one of the Pacer guys a long time ago. The factory representative was teaching the box person how to operate it when I snuck up on my hands and knees in front of the unit and put a plastic tube under the rear of the keyboard. Then I lit a cigarette and blew smoke through the tube, and it looked like the keyboard caught fire. After some quick dancing by the rep to shut the unit down, I popped up with a grin on my face. I think the rep would have shot me if he had a weapon...It was really funny. There was fire in his eyes. (That guy never spoke to me - ever since then)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: