Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Who will rule November? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Who will rule November?
Scott Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2000 08:47 PM      Profile for Scott Madsen   Email Scott Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, there are some big movies coming in the next few weeks. Charlie's Angels, Grinch, 102 dalmations, Little Nicky, Rugrats, etc. (I know I'm missing a few) What pictures do we think will be huge hits and what will
disappoint? It looks like Meet the Parents will play thru Thanksgiving. What else will do well?

|  IP: Logged

Brian Potts
Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2000 09:53 PM      Profile for Brian Potts   Email Brian Potts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that Rugrats, Grinch, and 102 Damlmations will all be big. I also think Legend of Bagger Vance should also make some money.

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2000 11:13 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking forward to seeing "13 Days" and "Men of Honor".

"Pearl Harbor" looks good too.

Russ

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2000 11:40 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Russ, Pearl Harbor is next Summer .

Anyhow, you missed Red Planet. My thoughts? Its this season's End of Days-big dissapointment.

AND DON'T FORGET THE GRINCH!! This is going to be BIG.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2000 01:11 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the 'kids' (Grinch, 102 Dalmatians, Rugrats) features will do rather well. Men Of Honor is another that looks like it will be doing some decent business.

In all honesty, the November release that I am most looking forward to is 'Quills'. But I know better than to think that it will do phenomenal business. I'm just hoping that I don't have to take a road trip to go see it!

~GLB

------------------
In some cultures, what I do is considered normal.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-02-2000 05:31 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grinch.

Frank Rapisardi
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2000 05:41 AM      Profile for Frank Rapisardi   Email Frank Rapisardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the release of The Grinch;I know it's suppose to be a kids picture;however I really think,after seeing the trailer a number of times,that it may actually scare the hell out of very young children.

------------------

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2000 06:24 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grinch is going to be huge; no doubt about it, but don't count out Little Nicky-Adam Sandler films may not be the height of dignity and class, but they're crowd pleasers, and the ad campaign actually makes ME want to see it-it is this fall's must see for the junior high through college age crowds.

Paul Rich
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2000 06:37 AM      Profile for Paul Rich   Email Paul Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone is forgetting Unbreakable!

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2000 07:21 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Frank, although nothing particulary scary in the trailers, Carrey's mannerisms scare the crap out of a 6 and 4 year-old when they've seen it at the movies or on TV. They keep saying, "I don't like the grinch." Just be prepared (not that you'll have to do anything) for audiences with kids quickly leaving. Seems silly, people are going to have to get a babysitter for the kids if they want to see this one.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2000 08:29 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After screening Grinch last night (11/1), I think it will do good business and will attract kids through adults. It has a little crude humor and sticks mainly to the story. Ron even has the Grinch make fun of him. Carrey did a good job.

Also, Dalmations and Rugrats should do ok. Charlies Angels will do good for the first couple of weeks. Bagger evidently is commanding high rental fees because they feel they will be the season blockbuster, hence, some Cinemark theatres may not have it on screen this weekend because of this.

6th Day will die the same fateful death as Get Carter.

Castaway, Men of Honor should do well.

Little Nicky should do ok.
Red Planet will probably fall flat.

Unbreakable should do ok to well.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2000 08:31 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, we've never recieved the final trailer, but the teaser has gotten some very good reactions out of people seeing "Little Vampire." I mean, the kids were giggling the whole way through the trailer. When people walk by the poster in our lobby, the say "we gotta see that." Add to that the special show offers we've been getting. They're just pouring in, groups that want to see this one, buy out the auditorium, whatever. I mean, we've already sold 1,000 tickets to Coca Cola for God's sake! No doubt in my mind, this is the THE movie this holiday season.

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2000 08:51 AM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else notice how much better this fall looks compared to last summer? I remember last May thinking, "Man, there really isn't anything to get excited about this summer." Now, looking forward, I see what looks like several top quality movies.

YEAH!

There are just too many to list, but I am actually excited again.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2000 09:00 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have high hopes for the new Mars movie

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-02-2000 12:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody's mentioned "Vertical Limit." The trailer is great, but I think it will do well for a while. (Gonna have a lot of "yeah, right" moments though.)

I agree with Paul on just about everything else. I think Unbreakable will have a great first weekend due to the Sixth Sense connection, but if the pic doesn't deliver like Sixth did, it's gone in a hurry.

Red Planet/Sixth Day: Flops.

Charlie's Angels: Fair to medium

Grinch: Should be huge

Rugrats: Not as good as Grinch, but not bad. The trailer is good.

102 Dalmatians: Average

Cast Away: Hanks will draw. Should be above average.

Emperor's New Groove: I think this will be a big disappointment...we were in Disney World in September and there was absolutely no pre-promotion going on for Groove...very unusual for Disney.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: