Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Finding Monty Python movies

Author Topic: Finding Monty Python movies
Bob Minge
Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2000 12:42 AM      Profile for Bob Minge   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Minge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If my booker cannot find Life of Brian and The Holy Grail, does anyone else know who has, or where I can find them to rent for a customer for a group?? Thanks

------------------
Bob Minge
Manager/Projectionist
Westridge Cinema 5
Fergus Falls, MN

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-18-2000 02:04 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call Swank Motion Pictures. They're a (mostly 16mm) nontheatrical rental firm that would be the appropriate distributor for nontheatrical (i.e. group or theatre rental) screenings.

As of a couple of years ago, Swank had nontheatrical rights to Holy Grail and Kit parker had theatrical rights (and at least one reall, really crappy print ) on it.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2001 02:33 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Grail has been re-released -- new 35mm print, new stereo soundtrack, unseen footage.

Details at www.pythonline.com/newstuff .

Looks like you won't have to serve Spam any more!

Brett Rankin
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2001 07:47 PM      Profile for Brett Rankin   Email Brett Rankin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody here seen one of the new prints of Grail? I saw one last night in SRD, and wasn't terribly impressed...

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-24-2001 02:10 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brett

You mean you weren't impressed by the print and sound quality, right? Tell me you still loved the film...

BTW...I like how they are advertising the re-issue...'Now with missing footage!'

Time to drag out all the old LP's methinks.

Brett Rankin
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2001 12:35 PM      Profile for Brett Rankin   Email Brett Rankin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My God, of course I meant the print! Holy grail is a superior film to Kane, Casablanca, and Gone With the Wind. Combined.

I thought it was hilarious when I saw it on tape, there's nothing like watching it with a sold-out crowd. Ooh, I think I'll have to go again.

Ni!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-25-2001 04:49 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phew!

BTW... Noo!

------------------
"If you think THIS is fantastic...wait until you see the full effect with the HIMP!"
- Chief Inspector Clouseau.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-25-2001 03:42 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An amusing review of the new print by the New Times LA: Message for you Sir!

Have at You!
The Pythons' classic Holy Grail returns, all tarted up and ready for action.

By Gregory Weinkauf

After the next few apocalypses, hundreds of thousands of years from the moment we clever humans smugly call "now," the great philosopher-scientists will gather to assemble the remaining traces of our present time and species. In particular, these evolved beings will find fascination in the structure of our crania, which will appear as flimsy vestigial nubs compared to their enormous, armored noggins. These telepathic giants will nonetheless struggle a bit to suss the function of our two pretty little orbs in the front, especially in relation to the puzzling religious artifacts known as "movies." Then, in the nick of time, just before the universe blows up, they'll discover Monty Python and the Holy Grail, thereby answering all spiritual riddles (of the patriarchal ilk), revealing the secret of humanity (the arrogant West, anyway) and thwarting the annihilation of All That Is--well, at least until the next bureaucratic cock up.

Comedy. Adventure. Musical. Epic. Shrubbery advertisement. The biggest challenge in writing about this classic motion picture--a mere quarter century and change after its miraculous inception--is choosing a tone. Should a critic rave--in the manner of a ruthlessly self-indulgent columnist--about how he and his dear friend Christopher first viewed the film as teenagers, gnawing deliriously upon industrial-grade snacking materials, convulsing, with tears and gratitude sparkling in their eyes? Or is it perhaps more fitting to strike up a literary approach, comparing and contrasting Holy Grail to the Arthurian knock-offs of Malory, Tennyson, Steinbeck, White, Zimmer Bradley and Sir Mix-a-Lot? Nay, though these routes be noble, the one true path to enlightened assessment is, of course, that of the pompous ass.

So hearken, please, and try to follow. What we have here is an historical document of inestimable value, describing in no uncertain terms the terrible and beautiful times before AIDS, before Ronald met Margaret, before Western culture was devastated by a plague of so-called comedies so heinous that their titles cannot be mentioned here. (OK, fine, twist my arm: Cannonball Run, Teen Wolf, Zapped and--heaven help us--their respective sequels.) Produced in 1975, and bookended by some typically brilliant films of that decade (such as Francis Ford Coppola's The Conversation in 1974 and Nicolas Roeg's The Man Who Fell to Earth in 1976), Monty Python and the Holy Grail represents a chapter of cinematic history when movies weren't produced primarily as a means of separating the exhausted masses from their meager wages. Bravo, that.

Verily, the appreciation of high absurdity--much like high art--requires a modicum of intelligence, and in this capacity the Pythons have proved themselves sublime. They are as prepared to quote (badly) from Robert de Borron's Grail romance Joseph d'Arimathie as they are to fling Gallic livestock hither and thither from towering castle walls. They're willing to taint their own opening titles with a strange sort of Swedish folktale ("A moose once bit my sister...") and then wrap up their movie with a seemingly crude ending pretty much universally dismissed as "bad" but that actually ties the ideological struggles of the middle ages to the social unrest of the (then) present time. Got brilliance?

Those who have enjoyed dailiances with 12th-century scribe Chretien de Troyes or his countless honorable pilferers (including, in our own century, Alan Jay Lerner, Frederick Lowe and John Boorman) will require no introduction to this particular epoch. For the rest of you scalawags, however, here's a quick illumination: The year is 932 A.D., the place is England and the smell is generally unpleasant. Madness and mayhem are the order of the day, with malicious marauders terrorizing the confused population pretty much as they do nowadays in places like Silver Lake and North Hollywood. Only one man--an alcoholic homosexual physician and comedian named Graham Chapman--can bring unity to this realm of chaos. Posing rather convincingly as Arthur, king of the Britons, he pretends to ride an invisible horse across the length and breadth of the land, with his humble servant, Patsy (Terry Gilliam), clopping together two empty halves of a coconut to simulate the sound of equine hooves.

Right here, in the opening moments, the great separation of this divisive film is made manifest, as the faithful remain and the poo-poohers shove off. "That's, like, real, like, dumb," the latter may be heard to mutter. "Let's see if we can still get into that Freddie Prinze Jr. movie." And off they'll scamper, never knowing what they're about to miss. Pity them, the silly sods.

Once the disdainful chaff wanders away from the appreciative wheat, it's easier to enjoy the Pythons at work. Soon enough, in a book of tales narrated by Michael Palin, we encounter Arthur's knights: Sir Robin (Eric Idle), Sir Launcelot (John Cleese), Sir Galahad (Palin) and Sir Bedevere (Terry Jones), among a few expendable others. As in their television series, Monty Python's Flying Circus (1969-1974), and their later, equally brilliant films Life of Brian (1979) and The Meaning of Life (1982), the fellows each play manifold roles, including the knights' assorted trusty pages (Archibald, Concorde, Gimpy, Humphrey, Ian and William). They also turn up in assorted guises as the King of Swamp Castle, Tim the Enchanter, Roger the Shrubber (A Shrubber) and--in the case of codirector Gilliam--the Animator.

The design of Holy Grail has Gilliam's paw prints all over it, as was slightly less apparent in the later films helmed solely by codirector Jones. It's all good, but Gilliams's vision--accented by the production design of Roy Smith and the cinematography of yet another Terry (Bedford)--gives this project a timeless, otherworldly air. Watching it, it's hard to believe that these guys were actually meandering across heaths and trudging across rope bridges, with electricians and caterers not far away. It seems more as if this souvenir of the Absurd Ages has simply existed for a millennium, to be unearthed by hippie archaeologists a score and five years ago.

This rerelease arrives courtesy of director Henry Jaglom's distribution company, Rainbow Releasing. Essentially, it's a sharp, 35mm print of a fairly grainy movie. The digital stereo soundtrack accentuates imbalances in the original dialogue mix, but, fortunately, it also amplifies Neil Innes's hilarious songs ("We're opera-mad in Camelot/We sing from the diaphragm a lot!"). As for the "newly restored scene" at Castle Anthrax, it's merely fun fluff for fans; the real pleasure here lies in the movie's visual subtleties, so long confined to video, writ large again.

There really is a lot more to Holy Grail than first meets the eye, which helps to explain why so many insane geeks are still wont to quote from it at every inopportune moment. Consider the movie's unflinching attitude toward mortality, as the fine actor John Young portrays both the Dead Body That Claims It Isn't as well as the ill-fated Historian Who Isn't A.J.P. Taylor At All. Also note the incredible sensitivity to women's rights and desires, as a woman (comedienne Connie Booth) is unfairly charged with witchcraft, or the twin teenage virgin Dingo (Carol Cleveland) implores Galahad, "Yes, yes, you must give us all a good spanking! And after the spanking, the oral sex!"

Right, well, having thus far resisted the impulse to riff shamelessly upon the movie's classic dialogue, let us now make perfect pigs of ourselves: "We''d better not risk another frontal assault; that rabbit's dynamite!" (the late, great Graham Chapman, as King Arthur); "You cheesy lot of secondhand electric donkey-bottom biters!" (John Cleese, as a Quite Extraordinarily Rude Frenchman); "It's only a model" (Terry Gilliam, as Patsy, re Camelot); "He who is valiant and pure may find the Holy Grail in the castle of...auggghhhh..." (Eric Idle, as Brother Maynard); "Um, look, if we built this large, wooden badger..." (Terry Jones, as Sir Bedevere); and, of course, "You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!" (Michael Palin, as Dennis). And so on!

Whew. Well, honestly, the worst thing about Monty Python and the Holy Grail is that, once it's over, we're obliged to return to our standard, irony-free cinematic fare of (1) boring people moping about pointlessly whilst weeping in somber settings; and/or (2) annoying people leaping about maniacally whilst making references to the body's various modes of elimination; and/or (3) asinine people flailing about sadistically whilst blowing things to smithereens that ought not to be blown to smithereens. Boo-hoo! Tee-hee! Yee-haw! Help! Help! I'm being repressed! It's a bit of a shame that more motion pictures--in all genres--are not conceived with the assumption that audiences have brains. Indeed, you can't spell genius without Ni!

The manager of the Nuart introduced the screening I attended last Thursday and said he was amazed at the business the film had done for them, given that it is available on video (the Nuart was sold out on the weekend shows, and averaging around 200 even on the weekday matinee shows). Nonetheless it played for only one week at the Nuart, but continues to play here in SoCal on one screen each in Beverly Hills and Pasadena.

Paul
Mercenary Projectionist
"I'm not dead yet"

[ 09-22-2003, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2001 01:26 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just came back from watching it at the Rialto in Pasadena and it was as funny as before, although quite empty maybe 50 people total. I wasn't too impressed with the print, as some parts of the movie seemed to look better than others.

Brett Rankin
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2001 02:50 PM      Profile for Brett Rankin   Email Brett Rankin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've EVER seen a packed house at the Rialto. I plan to see Python there again tomorrow with some other friends and I'll see how it sounds in Ultra Stereo. That theatre has the worst acoustics of any I think I've ever been to. I saw Memento there (totally empty) and I couldn't make out have the stuff they were saying. Could definitely use a renovation...

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2001 02:25 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I saw in the mood for love there pretty empty. It could be a *lovely* theatre if they just got fresh paint, its all very dark and drab. I was wondering when you go could you check if they even have surround speakers? I don't think they did since when I was watching Holy grail all I heard was sound from the front speakers.

Brett Rankin
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2001 09:24 PM      Profile for Brett Rankin   Email Brett Rankin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't end up going, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any surround speakers. Just basic 2-channel stereo as I recall. Saw Rocky Horror last week (2 weeks ago?) and they din't even change the masking from scope to flat! Half the picture was on the wall but nobody seemed to care. What ever happened to their plans to 5-plex the place? Did th fall through?

Tod J. Weitzel
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2001 10:59 PM      Profile for Tod J. Weitzel   Author's Homepage   Email Tod J. Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the reissue print at the Lumiere last week.

1) The image quality was MUCH cleaner than that of even my Criterion laserdisc on the whole.

2) The color timing was a bit off in places.

3) When Arthur encounters the Black Knight, the film seems to have gone down a few generations in quality... there's 1-2 seconds of the clean image and then WHAM there's a ton of grain.

4) The sound was slightly remixed into stereo, but only slightly, and little was done to EQ the soundtrack, it seems.

I conclude this new print was made from high-quality bits of many different prints, not just one source.

But even if the film was rereleased as crap, it's still a much better and more significant revival than Star Wars ever was.

-Ni!

------------------
Resident nerd.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: