Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Nice Guy or A$$#@!e?

Author Topic: Nice Guy or A$$#@!e?
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2000 01:57 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I am a nice guy. I know that I may be deluding myself. I do tend to run to sarcasm and can be a little insesitive when it comes to performing ones duty.

We have had remarkably low turnover in the nine months that we have been open. We may have turned the staff over once since we opened. This is much better than the 600% the last multiplex I worked for did. We pay just a bit better than the competion, I know it isn't much but you know the nature of the business.

This week we scored a coup de grace when we booked two prints of Best in show. We are dumping all 6 of our old shows and building up 6 new ones. Luck was with us when most of them showed up yesterday (Wednesday) so I could start building them up.

This week one of our assistant managers quit because she couldn't handle the stress of the job. Her words were that every time she came to work she felt frustrated. We did all the chores. All we asked of the assistants was that they open and close and run film and get the staff to perform their duties.

Because she quit, Ky and I will be going on 6 days per week and will not be able to leave town untill we have trained a new assistant.

This morning the projectionist called in and said "I quit." Yes he was that eloquent. So I get to build up the last two prints and tear down 6 prints tonight. Oh the joys of ownership. I don't know what was going on in his life, but I know it wasn't us.

If one more thing goes wrong, I may go insane! But so far I have kept my cool. I quess spouting off here helps a bit. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 10-12-2000 03:06 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know Ian Price and he's only rarely an asshole; he can't hold a candle to BF Deal when BF is on a roll. You aren't the only thing that is going on in the lives of your staff. They can be made crazy by many things. Just get the positions filled in by this winter or you'll miss your skiing vacation in Telluride. Good luck with "Best in Show." BF

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2000 05:44 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know how you feel Ian. I just put my two weeks notice in a few days ago. Im movin back home!! YAY. I am not making nearly enough to live here and im getting sick of my work. Im sick of building all the movies while running all 18 shows. Sick of finding and fixing bad splices from brainwraps that no body cared to write in the log book. Sick of waiting for a print to come on friday morning!!! I hate that. Sick of having screenings every week. Most of all i'm sick of being a manager. I'd be glad to manage the floor, just like i'd be happy to be a projectionist upstairs. I'd just like to be one or the other. Being both is far too stressful (at least for near minimum wage)

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2000 04:25 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian
Don't take it personally. I'm an employer too, but not in show biz. The problem is with the attitudes of the young folks out there that are just getting into the job market. Since the economy has been on the up-swing for the last 15-20 years none of them knows hard times (they just haven't been alive long enough),which really goes along way toward teaching a person to value their job. Most of these youngsters have attitude problems and are bridge burners. The attitude I get is that "there are plenty of jobs out there, I'll just go get another one." Quiting without notice doesn't bother them, it's their way of "getting even" for not having their butts kissed, and not being able to "start at the top", with the best of positions. I actually heard one young lady say "All these old guys have all the good jobs and they just won't give them up". Around election time, I frequently hear the candidates say "The children are our future". Boy it really makes me wonder what the future will be like.

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Paul Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2000 04:46 AM      Profile for Paul Cunningham   Email Paul Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,

I have read many of your posts before and would come work for you at the drop of a hat, unfortunately travel to and from work would be a bit of a problem.

Paul

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2000 12:40 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good!

We need Matinee or afternoon help. We pay $6 per hour, frequently buy the staff pizza and there are all the films you can watch as we can get in free at the other plexes as well.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-03-2000 10:20 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,

Since I am independantly wealthy, I will come and be your new projectionist. Oh wait, did I say wealthy? I meant dirt poor broke. Independantly dirt poor broke.

I can empathize with you on this. No matter what you do, there are those that just cannot see your vision. Just hand them a joint and tell them to toke up, and all will be fine.

Im sorry, did I say joint? I meant pink slip. Just hand them a pink slip and tell them to toke up. Ok that doesn't work either.

Let's face it. There just isn't enough money in our economy to go around, and as a result, there isn't enough to pay people. The lack of cash creates 80 percent of all stress. If we could pay people 25 dollars an hour, they would clean up human waste and tell people of the positive health benefits.

Nice to be back...

Dave

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2000 01:10 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian just face the facts. You are an a$$#@!e.

Embrace it as a matter of fact. When people call me an a$$#@!e, I say thanks. I have been working on it. As a matter of fact would you fill out a customer survey card so that in the future I could be even more of an a$$#@!e to you.

Thank you and next time would you step into my office.
Why?
Cause you're f&$@ing fired!!!!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-05-2000 01:56 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, take everything you own and pack it up in a Ryder® truck and move 500 miles away and stuff it all into a 1BR apartment that's twice as expensive and in a town where you know ZERO people.

Then pack your suitcase, put it in the car and drive 300 miles and get a motel room in that town. Stay there for 2-3 days, drive back to your apartment and do it all over again.

While you're away, you can work in different theatres that are full of people you describe. They don't give a rats ass if you bust your tail fixing up the equipment. As soon as you go out the door they'll proceed to tear every machine apart. What they don't tear apart is so caked with grime and film dirt that you sometimes can't tell there's a projector under there!

You know hardly anybody by name in any town you only get to see them once every couple of months. (The ones that don't get promoted or quit.)

You spend your evenings in said motel rooms, watching re-re-reuns of James Bond movies on WTBS. (Or re-re-reruns of "Crocodile Hunter")
The phone doesn't work 1/2 the time so you can't even e-mail your family to tell them how you're doing. (Don't even THINK about calling long distance from a motel!)

Now comes the WIERD part.... I love my job!

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2000 02:25 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn! Randy. For a minute, I thought you were talking about me. The only differance was that I used a Budget® truck .

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-05-2000 08:41 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear that there are others out there who do this sort of thing. It gets pretty lonely out here.

You know, I used to be a real A-Hole in my old job because I knew everybody and they knew me. We had an unwritten rule that you can yell and holler as long as you don't make it personal. We knew that EVERYBODY gets mad.I f you can't blow off steam in front of your friends, when can you?

Now, I have a hard time containing myself. There are times when I just want to SMASH something. I TRY to say things in a "nice" or "encouraging" way. There are times when no matter how hard you try to "smile" people can tell you don't mean it.

THAT'S the hard part.

I don't really mind putting the projectors back together after somebody else "fixes" them. I actually like it. It keeps my brain occupied. Just don't get upset when I take your call (usually while I'm eating dinner, for some reason) and say, "Oh, S???!"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-05-2000 09:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Murphy's Laws of being a field service engineer
1 The pager always goes off after dinner is ordered with a nice date
2 The seriousness of the emergancy is proporonal to the prospective dinner tab
3 Your dates understanding of the importance of the emergancy is inversly proportonal to the above
4 Life on the road sucks
5 Will it get better no

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-06-2000 03:38 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>Murphy's Laws of being a field service engineer<<

Continued From Above...

6. The further away from you the location is, the bigger 'emergency' they make of a problem that can almost always be fixed by a regular projectionist in 5 sec or less.

7. No matter how 'on schedule' the construction crew is, they will have to do something major in an auditorium at the last minute, usually requiring lots of sawing and hammering, at the same time you are putting out the mikes to do an EQ.

8. The more heavy equipment you load up into the truck, the further away from the location you are going to have to park.

Aaron

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-06-2000 08:36 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rule #9: The bigger the problem they SAY it is, the more likely it will be something you can fix in 5 minutes. (And that they could have done themselves!)

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2000 06:00 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep I'm with Paul I would come and work for you Ian the only thing stopping me is the distance and the cost other than that I would be there quick as a flash.Hope things work out for you soon.

Stephen

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: