Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What are you showing this week? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What are you showing this week?
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2000 05:22 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had several weeks since Labor Day of poor ticket sales. We are just idling along. It is interesting that we have been doing double the business of a local 5-plex and a local 6-plex. We are waiting for them to go away.

We were running,

Margaret Chow in I'm the One that I Want.
An Iranian film called The Wind Will Carry Us.
A French film called Alice and Martin.
A German film called Aimee and Jaguar.
Another French film called Girl on the Bridge that actually made us some good money.
Chutney Popcorn that manages to combine an Indian family, Lesbianism and Motherhood into one film.
And Steal this Movie! which is about Abby Hoffman but it failed to spark any interest.

It's time to clean out the cobwebs of summer and get in to this film thing. We are opening 4 new films this week.

Best in Show, "The best comedy you'll see all year! Howlingly funny. Comic genius." —Steve Iervolino, Launch. We are required to open this film on two screens. Well we will see how this works out.

Smiling Fish and Goat on Fire, Winner of the discovery Award, Toronto Film Festival 1999. This is one of those films you begin to wonder about while you are changing the marquee.

Psycho Beach Party, Fun, Fun, Fun! 'Till your Drag Queen takes the surfboard away, and kills you!

Phish, Bittersweet Motel, Phish is the most revered band in America now that the Grateful Dead are gone. And they have made a documentary film about their concert experience.

Ian

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2000 10:21 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's getting better too, after a HORRIBLE September.

This week, I'll be running: "Meet The Parents" "What Lies Beneath" "The Replacements" "Dr. T And The Women" "Almost Famous" "Urban Legends: Final Cut" "Digimon: The Movie" (w/ "Space Cowboys" playing last show nightly) and "The Contender"

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2000 07:39 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, you should do big bucks with Best In Show(but two screens???)-the per screen average this past weekend was through the roof-I'd love to see it myself.
We're opening Almost Famous(finally) and Ladies Man this week. I can't imagine Ladies Man doing a scrap of business-the commercials and trailers are completely unfunny, and it's rated R, so that leaves the ten year olds who think that someone walking into a post is funny out in the cold.
Luckily, we do have Meet The Parents and Remember The Titans, which should both hold over quite well.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2000 08:56 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, let's see: (24 Screens, what to put on them)

New This week:
1 - Best in Show
1 - Dr T and His Women
2 - Contendor
1 - Lost Souls
1 - Ladies Man

Aside From:
1 - Digimon
1 - Exorcist
2 - Get Carter
3 - Remember the Titans
2 - Meet the Parent
1 - Urban Legends
1 - Woman On Top
1 - Beautiful
1 - Girlfight
1 - Almost Famous (From 2)
1 - Bring it On
1 - Watcher
1 - Replacements
1 - Space Cowboys
1 - What Lies Beneath
1 - Coyote Ugly

Wade Brashers
Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2000 12:49 PM      Profile for Wade Brashers   Email Wade Brashers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
22 screens here, and its more like what AREN'T we playing...

pretty much everything including a 10 reel Indian Movie which some guy rents out every week and loses money.
Plus, we are running some Repetoir films, this week we have a really nice print of Braveheart, Friday (13th) we will be getting Godfather- hopefully a reissue print, and in the next few months we will be playing Top Gun, The Indiana Jones Trilogy and others if these do well.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2000 02:04 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 16-screener where I work has also been showing Indian movies the past 2 weeks. I watched both of them even though I don't speak the language, and compared to the crap that's been out lately I thought these were great! Both of these had musical numbers in them; Hollywood should make some more musicals over here!

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2000 02:07 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wade,
How's business with the rep films. I would be willing to bet they are some of your top grosses. I am trying to convince my local theatre to do it since nothing else is making money.

If you get Top Gun, the print should be beautiful. I just finished running it, and it was BRAND NEW, not digital but a very wonderful image with a great Dolby SR soundtrack.

BTW, this week I am running...

Mysteries of Egypt
Encounters in the 3rd Dimension
Magic of Flight
Mark Twain's America in 3D
The Mummy (1932 - 35mm)

If you haven't guessed it's a large format theatre.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-11-2000 02:42 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: The Godfather -- you DO NOT WANT one of the reissue prints. They're grainy and mistimed. I saw the film a year before the much-hyped "30th Anniversary Reissue" and the print was absolutely stunning--perfect color, mint condition, etc. I'm pretty sure it wasn't IB Tech, but it was pretty darn close. The 30th (or was it 25th? I forget...) anniversary "restoration" was a huge disappointment for me and the prints were quite poor, especially by comparison. I have no idea where the earlier print came from (possibly the ETS depot in Landover, MD.), but that's the print that you should try to get unless, in their infinite wisdom, Paramount destroyed all the existing prints of this film when they made the new reissue prints.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2000 10:29 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, here is a partial list of what the art houses are running in my area:

Dancer In the Dark (playing on 2 screens at one theatre)
The Tao of Steve (playing at two different theatres)
Catfish in Black Bean Sauce
Aimee & Jaguar
Not Of This World
Saving Grace
An Affair of Love.

Girl on the Bridge was playing but left last week.

Wade Brashers
Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2000 11:13 PM      Profile for Wade Brashers   Email Wade Brashers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott-
I saw the reissue of Godfather 1 when it was out and I thought it was beautiful, maybe you got a bad print.

Re- attendance, actually it has been pretty poor, the first week we had Titanic (not my first choice) and it did really lousy, Forrest Gump did Okay, Braveheart is doing pretty good but I think it is because more people are catching on that we are doing it. I think they would be doing a hell of a lot better if we had more advertising. The people who do come to see them are really happy that we are doing it however. Hopefully by the time The Indy trilogy comes we will have some good crowds (and good prints)

Wade

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-12-2000 02:59 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I played a show print of The Godfather reissue in DTS and it was an excellent print. Perfect colors, low grain (for what it was filmed on) and very sharp. Odd they vary so much.

Kathleen Cook
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2000 12:13 AM      Profile for Kathleen Cook   Email Kathleen Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are a 750 seat, single screen, independant art/foreign theatre.(also a concert venue) Our summer duldrums continue, with no end in sight. Today, Friday the 13th, we're running The Tao of Steve. We had 1 patron in the first show, 3 in the 2nd, 9 in the third, and 0 in the 4th. Total patrons = 13. Coincidence? The Indian movies are starting to look good to me.

------------------
Kathleen Cook
Film Handler

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2000 01:15 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm...I'm at a 10 screen, first run theater, located in an area of Maine where there is little appreciation for art house or foreign films. (Bums me out, for I do appreciate such films). On occasion we do get the oddball feature though...

This week we have (more or less in order of how long the feature has been showing at our location)
~Bring It On
~Urban Legends: Final Cut
(one late evening show a day, sharing a screen w/Digimon)
~Remember The Titans
~Almost Famous
~Digimon: The Movie
(matinees & a first evening show, sharing a screen w/ UL: FC)
~Get Carter
~Meet The Parents
~The Ladies Man
~Lost Souls
~The Exorcist
~The Contender

Yes, we only just got the re-issue of the Exorcist.

Maybe if I keep pestering the powers that be, we'll get the re-issue of The Nightmare Before Christmas (scheduled for 10/27)...

I can hope anyway...

~The Purple-Tressed Booth B*itch

------------------
In some cultures, what I do is considered normal.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-14-2000 03:00 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is BV reissuing Nightmare Before Christmas??? Is there some sort of cult following I'm not aware of?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-14-2000 03:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering the same thing. The movie didn't do THAT well on first release. Probably there is a new enhanced DVD coming out, and they're looking to promote that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: