Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Tryon, North Carolina says it for the rest of us...

Author Topic: Tryon, North Carolina says it for the rest of us...
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-10-2000 04:39 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Showbizdata.com...

>>Meanwhile, the owner of a theater in Tryon, North Carolina said Monday that he is shutting it down and has posted a sign on the marquee reading, "Closed until better movies are available."<<

Anyone high up in Hollywood reading this, please take note. With the crap you're putting out, it's cheaper to close the doors!

How sad...

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2000 07:16 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I live near Tryon. I'll have to check this out.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-10-2000 09:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce...get us a picture!

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2000 10:18 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there's a theater around here - a small-town one-screen in Madelia, MN that only opens if an "appropriate" film is available. They're one of those Friday-Sunday 1 show daily $3.00 (mid-run) theaters. Every other week or so, they choose not to open, but this is probably a different scenario. Basically, if there's no demand for a film in the town, they won't play one.

Dave Quincer
Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2000 11:40 PM      Profile for Dave Quincer   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Quincer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the owner of a two screen theatre in central Minnesota I can sympathize with the theatre owner in North Carolina. We've had nothing to play for the last three weeks or more. The studios released one or two pictures a week during the olympics and the 20 screen theatres in the large cities gobble up two and three prints of everything leaving nothing left for the independent theatres. We ran several movies in the past few weeks that we missed during the summer like "Shanghai Noon" and "Loser". We even brought "the Perfect Storm" and "What Lies Beneath" back during our "bargain week" at $3.00 a seat to try and boost attendance. Nothing worked. We are finally getting "Bring it On" this week, only 7 weeks after it was released. Last week there were 84 prints of this film that sat on the floor at Technicolor in LA but apparently Universal was too cheap to move them to Ohio. At least we have "Blair Witch 2" booked for the 27th so we have something to look forward to. Now just have to hope a 2nd or 3rd print of "Remember the Titans" or "Meet the Parents" comes off a big city house in the next couple of weeks. Sure makes it hard to pay the bills.

John F. Schultz
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2000 02:37 AM      Profile for John F. Schultz   Author's Homepage   Email John F. Schultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its really sad the shape hollywood is in right now. In years past there were 3 or 4 blockbusters a week or at least making good money at box office and now this year theres only 1 maybe 2 movies selling out on weekends. When will they take notice and make some good movies????

Glenda Cockrum
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2000 08:34 AM      Profile for Glenda Cockrum   Email Glenda Cockrum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well at least I know I am not the only independant struggling to find movies. I am bringing back "Chicken Run" this coming weekend, simply because there are no children/family films available. The question remains, "why"! As a small town theatre I have always tried to keep a reasonable mix of films to offer, but right now everything seems to be R rated or just plain bad. With only one screen, meeting the bills is dependant on each weekend getting a minimum number of butts in the seats, it gets hard when there just is nothing to offer, but once the holidays hit, then we go back to trying to place the family films in a reasonable order to get the patrons in the door... seems like a feast or famine time these next few months. Glenda Cockrum

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 10-15-2000 02:06 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dave!
Welcome to the form.
also hello to all the ND and MN boys out there.

that's all for now

Josh

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2000 02:35 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty bad when I envy the movies that the Minneapolis Lagoon theater gets. I'd tear down Bring it On, Get Carter, or Dr. T and the Women to get Best In Show, Dancer in the Dark, or (in mockery of bring it on) But I'm a Cheerleader!

By the way, do any of the MN people know if and when Best in Show and others will be put into wide release?!

------------------
"Trying is the first step towards failure!"
-Homer Simpson

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2000 03:29 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best In Show expanded from 50 or so screens to 250 or so this weekend. It did very well, placing 9th in the nation with 2.4 million in receipts (approx. $10K per screen). I would expect that this will expand further over the next couple of weeks to approximately 500-800 screens, but have no firm information on that. I will check with my film buyer on Monday and get you the release details for that film....

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2000 11:48 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an item that ran in the Thursday Asheville Citizen newspaper:

TRYON THEATER CLOSES UNTIL MOVIES IMPROVE

(AP) Tryon--

The owner of a movie theater, disapointed with the quality of films, has closed the theater until better movies are available.

Owner Barry Flood closed the Tryon Theatre after showing the Sunday matinee of "Space Cowboys" on Oct. 8. He said he hoped to reopen in late November, when he can show some of the better movies that are popular now.

Until then, the marquee reads "Closed Until Better Movies Are Available." The theater will open twice monthly for film society showings.

"My customers deserve better than what Hollywood is currently producing, and I will not subject them to the trash that is currently on the screens," Flood said.

Every movie released in September was rate R or PG-13 except for the PG-rated "Remember the Titans," Flood said.

Gary Vanderhorst, owner and operator of Complete Booking Services in Charlotte, (NC) said September and October are traditionally slow months for movie theaters.

"Hollywood uses September and October as a dumping ground," said Vanderhorst, whose company gets films from movie companies to theater owners.

Some decent movies are out, Flood said, but he only shows movies for five nights and he cannot get the top hits until about six to eight weeks after their relese.

Flood said Hollywood targets movies to the under-30 crowd, while his clientele is mostly over 30.

-------------------

I hate that this has to be done.

Tryon is 45 miles away, down the mountain from here. When I go, I will get a picture of the theater.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-27-2000 02:52 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad but funny article. Personally, I'd say that this guy needs a new booker. He can potentially pick pretty much any movie made in the last 50-100 years and show that, yet he claims that he will close until better movies are available. How dull and uncreative is that?

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2000 05:57 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott:

If Tryon night-life is anything like it is here, 40 miles away, I can say that Tryon dries up at night. There are alot of younger families there. Most 18-30 year olds have moved away or have gone back to school.

I agree with you about the booker. If the owner had a bit of creativity, he could be running a great weekend of scary films, and running old classics, along with films made last year and earlier this year. Geez, I think the booker needs a swift kick, too. I bet he makes too much money, too.

Wayne Cope
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2000 07:50 AM      Profile for Wayne Cope   Email Wayne Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree there are other options. There are great films on the art house circuit that are overlooked by everyone else.

But there, too, it's a matter of digging for the good stuff. There are a lot of films on that circuit, about which the most flattering thing one can say is, "It must be art".

As for the good stuff, even the Academy agrees on rare occasion, as when they voted Il Postino (The Postman) Best Film - NOT Best Foreign Film. I think the better work floating in the art house circuit is just what a more mature audience, as well as some of the younger audience, would enjoy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: