Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Conspiracy?

Author Topic: Conspiracy?
Matt Gardner
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2000 05:16 PM      Profile for Matt Gardner   Email Matt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone considered the possibility that the major chains filed for bankruptcy within only weeks of each other for a premeditated purpose. Could the theatres' lack of funds help drive down royalty rates and allow the theaters to restructure the exhibition industry the way they want it? Just a developing theory but it all looks too suspicious to me.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-21-2000 06:27 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bankruptcy's are not related to that theory, they are caused by defaulting bank loans. HOWEVER, the restructuring of fees that exhibitors will have to pay will happen and is a beneficial side effect as a result of what is happening.

It benefits all ends of the business. The studios will take home less money, so they have to have better product to market, and theaters will keep more, translating into better buildings and better technical presentations.

This cannibalization of the industry was inevitable, necessary, and welcomed by all.

Dave

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2000 08:33 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that the bankruptcy contigencey was inevitable. Throughout the past twenty years, big corporations, like UA or GC have ruled the roost.

Even in my theater, which is run by a small, local corporation, we still get asked if we're affiliated with UA or GC. Nothing annoys me more.

It's not that I have a specific affection for my small business, it's just that I feel that the big wigs we're trying to push the envelope.
We're talking godzillaplex theaters that can't take in enough recipts to meet studio costs. Public impression led to name recognition, which led to infamy when they inevitably fell.

It just may mark the beginning of a new era of openess in the market. In other words, the Microsoft situation of the theater business.

------------------
"Trying is the first step towards failure!"
-Homer Simpson

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: