Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Does anybody have to put up with illogical, outdated or stupid company policies? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Does anybody have to put up with illogical, outdated or stupid company policies?
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2000 09:55 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of mentioned this on anouther string but I am interested in hearing any other stories about dumb company policies tying your hands.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-18-2000 02:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Loews had a thing a few years back where the managers were supposed to do "whatever it took to make the customer happy", or something along those lines? I was running a theater across the street from a Loews at the time. I remember this specifically as I had a customer come in and point out some really minor problem in the theater on a busy night that no one else on the planet would've possibly noticed or even cared about and after thanking her for bringing it to my attention and assuring her it would be taken care of immediately she asked "so then were is my pass?" Needless to say it went on to include "aren't you going to reward me for pointing out a problem...yada, yada, yada."

Yes, reward!

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2000 03:38 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard of this happening at a couple of local theatres...

"Yes, Film-Guard is the best thing since sliced bread, but it't not on our approved booth suplies list, so don't buy it."

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2000 12:02 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect the small number of responses is due to everyone's using their real names here

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-20-2000 12:34 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about this one...

"Effective immediately, anyone having more than one button pushed in per platter deck will be terminated. This action causes the platter to fail and will cause damage to the control box."

The platters are SPECO LP-270's. If you are familiar with them, it is IMPOSSIBLE to push more than one button down at a time per deck.

So the moral is, do not attempt the impossible!!!

Dave

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2000 10:49 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Overheard convesation between Manager and V.P.

V.P.: "I think we should fire XXXXXXX because she knows too much about how this theatre works."

Manager: "yeah but shes my best employee!"

V.P.: "Well lets just fire everyone whos been here for a while and train new people"

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2000 12:53 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are tight Jesse... I know several of my companys engineers, trainers (Hi Brian) and corporate types lurk here...

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 01:29 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread made me think about Ken's gag order thread. It;s no wonder no-one made any "good" posts to this topic.. I could list a TON.

Penny Wise and dollar foolish.... That's the motto for today...

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 01:56 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could go on and on about this topic. My thing is this: Wouldn't you think companies would realize the amount of money they are losing because of 'outdated' and 'moronic' policies? For example, it took me over 6 months to get hot dogs in my theatre. The main reason was that I had to jump through a few hundred hoops with my corporate office. Between policies on handling invoices and turn around time on questions being being answered - it was quite ridiculous. I estimate we lost thousands of dollars and lots of customers because of this.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 02:32 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn you Jason for bumping this thread up [Smile] I got in trouble for starting this. My only intention was to read some light hearted humorous stories (ala Dilbert Comics) from other members. But boy did that one blow up in my face.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 02:44 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal,

You're welcome... LOL... In this day of frustration I needed a laugh, and this topic was just the one to do it for me..

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-22-2002 04:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not anymore [thumbsup] ....I left that company [bs] and found a company that has it all together.....YEA! [Smile] [Big Grin]
Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-26-2002 11:48 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Passes have become the cure-all solution -- in lieu of having projectionists! And refunds? Perish the thought!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-26-2002 12:20 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I suspect the small number of responses is due to everyone's using their real names here

I guess I'm lucky not working in the film business; I dont have to worry what I say about it!

I would not be at liberty to discuss my place of employment in any outside forum, but I don't think they would object to any discussion of I.T. (the area in which I work) issues in general, some employers will not allow any discussion of work-related matters at all. I would probably not have any problems if I wanted to discuss general issues related to education either, (I work in a college), as long as they were not things specific to my place of employment.

I use my real name in all forums in which I participate (there are many, on a wide range of subjects).

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-30-2002 10:59 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite is "Do not show ANYTHING in SR - because if you accidentally show an "A" enconded film in SR it sounds horrible."

Our theater hasn't seen a Dolby "A" print in years.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: