Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » It's Only getting Worse-UA Files

Author Topic: It's Only getting Worse-UA Files
Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2000 09:04 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20000905/bs/united_artists_bankruptcy_1.html

Lets start a pool about who will be next.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2000 09:54 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd guess Regal next, followed by at least a partial scare for AMC. They have been throwing huge buildings up seemingly at random, and some of these monsters CAN'T be making any money!

Mark L.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2000 11:31 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The UA bankruptcy is also being reported at www.variety.com

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2000 01:09 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that UA was trying to do a debt to equity swap with the debt holders. The major holder being what's his name from Qwest communications. He was buying up UA debt for a while. Now he would be the majority owner of UA.

It would have made them a very solvent company if they could have pulled it off.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2000 02:25 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Kevin, any idea why UA closed the Greenback theater but kept the Sunrise Mall theater open? I always thought Sunrise would be one of the next theaters to go, Greenback was one of my favorite theaters!

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2000 02:26 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse,

My thought is that the lease at Sunrise is very cheap. Since it was there before Birdcage the rent has to be lower. Birdcage's minimum is pretty small. Sunrise even with the lousy product they get, they could easily cover the lease. And I have never seen more than 3 employees and a manager there. Not the same at Greenback. I am just guessing, but I would say the minimum rent was $40,000 a month. And the payroll there was significantly higher as well.

A rumor I heard was that the mall management had no idea that they were moving out. All I know is the Cage will be doing better business with 6 less first run screens in the zone.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 09-07-2000 02:47 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all you Sacramento guys.

TWO THINGS:

#1. Does anybody have any pics of the theatres up there they'd like to share with Brad or myself?

#B. Those of you who work in the theatres up there... I'm planning on taking what Aaron and I call a "Dorking Trip" down through the Central Valley -- starting in Sac. Do ya think I could invite myself for a tour of yer theatre sometime?

-----
Scott D. Neff www.cinema-west.com

P.S. - If anybody at GCC has a trailer they'd like me to bribe off them... lemme know.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 09-07-2000 02:54 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oops - forgot to explain what a "Dorking Trip" was ---

When I first started driving all over the place to go look at theatres... I encountered MANY theatre managers who thought I was crazy when I approached them and asked to look around, or see the booth.

So I explained to them that I work for a small chain of theatres in the North Bay Area - and I was simply interested in seeing how their theatres looked.

After much doubt and befuddlement as to WHY anybody would want to look at their theatre... and after they grilled me to make sure I wasn't sent by the owner or District Manager... they'd usually let me go in.

But I found it much easier to admit to them that I was just some dork who liked to check out theatres. Made them feel as though I was harmless and NOT sent from Corporate Offices or the local news station to sneak in.

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2000 02:21 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

Let me know by email when you are coming up. I know I could let you see the wonderful construction of the Birdcage without a problem. If we could plan out a day, I could probably get you into a few other theatres in the area as well.

I do have some GCC trailers. The current ones as well as the first candy band trailer. I might even have some of the flying through space trailers. Cash or equipment will work fine. We'll talk.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 09-10-2000 02:17 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EXCELLENT --

If all goes well this week and I can get my car into the shop for tires and brakes... I'll be heading out Friday evening sometime...

I'll e-mail you when I have a more firm idea of EXACTLY when.

I've been into the Birdcage once before, before a Rocky Horror show and took a couple pictures... but not much more... I didn't want to bother any of the staff more than I already did trying to get in, simply because they were busy dealing with unruly Rocky Horror fans...

Er - anyways...

------------------
Scott D. Neff
----------------
www.cinema-west.com

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-10-2000 02:24 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC is next. Then Regal. After that loews cineplex.

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

Dave

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2000 10:47 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"AMC is next" - one can only hope
I've never visited a Regal, the one's that I've seen in passing (Old Act III's) don't look bad, Bloews Cineplex has a lot of bad theatres in my area, that could certainly stand to close, those with torture device style chairs really must go. Although with the backing of a major corporation, like Sony I don't see Bloews going under any time soon.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2000 02:16 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I have said before, if anyone deserves to go down, its AMC....

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2000 12:43 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't AMC already operating on a large grant from the Govt?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: