Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Angry customers at Nutty II/Ranting about Eddie Murphy

Author Topic: Angry customers at Nutty II/Ranting about Eddie Murphy
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-01-2000 05:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anybody else have angry patrons coming out of Nutty 2? I probably had at least 10 mothers comment how bad it was for kids. I explained to them that it IS a PG-13 movie; it IS Eddie Murphy; but of course that doesn't faze'em.

I do think that Nutty II sorta pushed the envolope for PG-13. Erections, penis jokes, farts, etc. I think there should be a new rating, "T" for Tasteless. Me Myself & Irene was worse, but at least it was rated R like it should be (and IT was actually kind of funny, unlike this mess.)

I haven't seen an Eddie Murphy movie I liked since 48 Hrs., Trading Places and the first Beverly Hills Cop. Go watch those again and you'll see how his comedy ability has disappeared to be replaced by gross-out nonsense. He'd be better off sticking to one character, too.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-01-2000 06:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving to "Ground Level" forum.

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2000 10:36 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike:

I just opened "NUTTY 2" tonight. It was one of my better openings this year...but then again it rained and washed out the local county fair and our first home football game.

I had four or five couples walk out during the show....only one couple had kids. No one complained to me. As far as Irene is concerned...I have been told by many people that have seen it that it is a complete waste of time...one of the worst movies they have ever seen. I do not plan to play that one. I also think I'll pass on Scary Movie. My theatre caters mostly to the over 40 crowd, who don't appreciate that humor (if you can call it that).

What really surprised me was...I heard two older couples say on the way out that they had come to see "The Patriot" (which ended yesterday)and actually stayed and watched all of "NUTTY". We still have people come every weekend that expect to see the film that was in the previous week. It has been our policy to change weekly for over thirty years. And it has been since 1980 that the industry changed from Wednesday openings to Friday openings, so they shouldn't expect to see what is in on Wed. or Thurs. over the weekend.

Mike...I tried to check out your website, but can only get to the Home Page....after that it won't let me enter anything else. Has anyone else mentioned any problems with it?

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2000 11:23 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've currently got both Irene and Scary Movie and they are doing fairly well... I actually havn't had any complaints about Me Myself & Irene... (however, I think most people coming to see it just want to see people/places shot in RI). Only a few complaints about Scary Movie.

--Chris

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-28-2000 06:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll never forget the dinner scene in Nutty 1 the first time I saw it. I was on a service call and the audience was howling like mad. I had to go down and see what was so funny. These folks were having a great time with the farts, belches,I'll whoop your Ass's etc. And especially Eddie playing all those different parts. What I really think is that in different parts of the country people accept his crude humor in different ways. I consider that scene classic Eddie Murphy, although the film had nothing else much to offer. His recent films seem to be the same way. I have not seen Nutty 2 but will never forget Nutty 1.
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: