Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Work for him or he works for me??

Author Topic: Work for him or he works for me??
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2000 07:58 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As most of you know, the wife and I are in the process of opening a NEW drive-in in Tennessee. Our architectural plans are complete, less site specific issues. Financing packages are being lined up, and meeting with a realtor next week.

Yesterday I recieved a phone call from a gentleman who is also planning to build a drive-in within the same general demographic area (50 mile radius). He has been in the business before, has his own equipment, and the knowledge of running and operating a theatre. He wants to get together with me and discuss the possibility of "teaming up" with him - or vice versa. My question is...
Do I dare consider this... or venture out on my own?

My wife and I discussed this at length last night, and came up with an idea. There is an abandoned drive-in in Tennessee that could be bought (I've been in contact with the owner), and with some remodeling and renovation could be resurrected.

What if we bought TWO?? We would own both properties and lease the second theatre to this gentleman? Since he has his own equipment, I would basically take the position of "landlord"

Am I crazy for even considering this??

COMMENTS PLEASE ????

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2000 11:23 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could share bookings and moveover films with each other. Go together and buy candy and stock for less.

If this guy has been in the drive in business before, what was his reason for getting out?

As long as the other guy gives a damn about a good presentation, clean facilities, and good customer service, then go for it. If he were someone out to make a quick buck, then avoid him.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: