Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Dinosaur/Gone In 60 Seconds: WHAT THE HELL?!? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dinosaur/Gone In 60 Seconds: WHAT THE HELL?!?
Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-31-2000 02:15 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am one of the many (?) theatres that are getting this 'special reissue' of Dinosaur split over 'Gone In 60 Seconds' and I am a bit perplexed...

What kind of CRACK are they smoking at Buena Vista?? These movies are as good as DOA and we are playing them again MONTHS later??

Possibly Worse, it seems that our booker passed on 'Highlander:Endgame' for *THIS*? At least 'Highlander' would make a little money over the weekend... Sheesh!

Anyone know why BV decided to reissue these titles?? It's a joke IMO.

Aaron

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-31-2000 03:12 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The rumor I heard was Buena Vista came awful close to hitting some record (no idea what though) with Gone in 60 Seconds and begged bookers across the country to play it for one more week to bring in that last little bit of change to hit that marker.

I originally ran two prints of this and I BETTER GET A DAMNED GOOD PRINT BACK! Think I could avoid playing it the entire week as TES keeps sending me replacement print after replacement print after replacement print until I get a good one?

Sadly enough, I know the print I will get will be crap.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2000 04:15 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that the re-issue of "Gone In 60 Seconds" & "Dinosaur" to be on the weird side!
I don't expect "Gone In 60 Seconds" to do much business where I'm at, but "Dinosaur" could be another matter altogether. Even with it being end-of-the-season for the 'kiddo movies', the season isn't quite over yet, and we have no other films playing (at least not at the cinema with which I am employed, or other cinemas in the area) right now.
I have to say that our booker was a little smarter than our competition's booker was! We'll be getting "Highlander: Endgame", and our closest competition will not!
...But then, we're also getting "Whipped"...
I'm not going to have any fun tracking down a coworker willing to sit through and screen that!

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2000 03:43 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney told me the same story about wanting to get 60 Seconds over the top, so to speak. You guys think that it is bad that you have to play it again. What about us subruns...we got the real screwing! We usually count on the big Disney summer picture that opens around Memorial Day to be available for the Labor day weekend. After waitnig all summer even though it's been off screen around here for many weeks...we now lose it for the last blast holiday weekend before school goes back. We'll have to play them both (separately of course) during the fall doldrums and still pay 50%!

Don't we all love Disney?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-31-2000 04:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't played either of these YET, you need a new booker. We played both of them weeks ago, and NOT for 50% either!

Are you a discount house? If not, you shoulda been able to get both of these already.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2000 06:17 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, the way I understand it - Gone in Sixty Seconds is sitting with around $97 million in receipts. This is probably a lame attempt to break the "all-important" $100 million barrier.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-31-2000 07:58 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow...if you are playing either Dino or 60 seconds NOW and are paying more than 35% and/or are not a dollar house, you need a new booker...badly...

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2000 11:17 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike B. and Scott,and everyone.

I know that those two films have played in many areas of the country on a 2nd run (prior to discount),but the Philadelphia area (all of eastern Pa.)has no 2nd run so to speak. Only first run and discount, even though there aren't many discount theatres left. If you aren't first run you must wait untill the national subrun (which is the discount run). It doesn't matter who the booker is...there is no run between first and national subrun in this territory. I have been arguing this for years. I have tear sheets and internet listings for theatres all over the country showing that they have an inbetween run in many areas, but they always have an excuse why it's different in those areas, and can't be done here. There are probably a dozen bookers serving this territory...yet no one gets a 2nd run date.

And pertaining to percentages...Disneys policy here is to charge % based on what a picture grossed first run. That policy up until recently has been if a picture grossed under 75 million first run we paid 40%,then 35% for all additional weeks; if over 75 million we paid 50%, 40%, and then 35% out. We NEVER got a picture for a first week for less then 40% EVER! This policy has been changed just recently...it has been relaxed a bit. I don't have the new % at hand, but they are better...I'll post them later. I assumed they were a national policy. At least that is what we have been told.
We do have new people at Disney handling our territory now and they have expressed a willingness to conform to other areas. I will give them the benifit of the doubt and see what happens in the future. I can not explain why things have been different here. We (the subrun exhibitors have discussed this for years)are at a loss as to why we have been treated differently. Maybe something happened many years ago that got them mad at eastern Pa. subruns. None of us know what it could have been...but it wasn't us, and it's time for a change. It appears it is coming.

Are there any other areas that have had the same hold back as we have had here?

Also we can never split pictures. The only exception was Tigger this year. What about you? We also can not use their pictures for matinees only unless it is a return engagement.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-31-2000 11:28 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Said:
"I originally ran two prints of this and I BETTER GET A DAMNED GOOD PRINT BACK!"

Well, I got 'Dinosaur' this afternoon and opened the semi-beat-up cans...

Print #3417, "integrity inspected" yesterday by a "temp" named "Enrique"...

A mix of reels, Reel 2,3, and 4 were in one can, reels 1 and 5 in the other, The reel bands were stringless and the tiny piece of tape that held the bands on reels 2 and 3 had come loose, and were wrapped around reel 4, along with part of the leaders of both 2 and 3.

One of the reels came on a green Paramount reel... Which I thought odd for TES to do... Until pulled it out of the can and it promptly broke in two. So now TES is using other distributors' broken reels!!

As for the condition of the print of '60 Seconds' Well... I wont know until noon tomorrow when the $%^&# print arrives. Upon calling TES today it seems that they showed no booking of this feature for this location.... GRRRrrr...

Aaron

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2000 02:39 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got this re-release too...

Gone in 60 arrived in good condition, all reels heads up, head and tails neatly spliced back on, no scratches or other problems...

Dinosaur looked like someone ran it through sandpaper... multiple green and yellow scratches (and a tone of black ones, for that extra special flavor), several minutes of missing footage scatterd abot the print, and to top it all off, the credits are full of sections of stripped sprocket holes..

But hey, Dinosaur was "integrity inspected"...

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2000 03:44 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, well if this is to up grosses...we're supposed to report nightly grosses with the Gone in 60 and Dinosaur (or Dinosuar as it says on our Marquee tonight--eh) together as one number. How does that work?

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2000 03:57 AM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, try and top this. My gone in 60 came all heads up *yay* The heads were half spliced (its alright, prefer taped) but for some reason there was tape wraped around the first few frames of the actual movie?!?! It was like that on almost all the reels. I was building two movies at once on a strong platter (we were getting 6 new movies) and the makup table i had hooked wasn't the one with gone and 60 on it. It was the last reel so i was running back and forth to the table i had hooked up to stop it and make sure i didn't pass the credits. Got the cue on there. A few seconds later i hear a crunch cruch crunch. A bunch of torn up film comes out following a bunch of burnt up film. It was missing some credits already, well now its missing more. I wish people would AT LEAST fix their mistakes!! As far as I can tell dino was alright. After seeing what was at the end of this movie, im afraid of what might be in the middle? :|

And whoever is doing whoever a favor by re releasing this, YOUR WELCOME.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-01-2000 05:25 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me just say, I got pictures! Thank the heavens for Integrity Inspectors, because I just don't think I could've possibly gotten a more shitty print without them. I am now completely convinced Technicolor only hires the legally blind to handle their inspections.

Thanks Technicolor! You guys are doing a GREAT job! So great in fact it seems everyone in the country was calling in tonight to congratulate you on your fine work on this re-release because I couldn't even get through on the 800 phone number to express my sincerest gratitude for this lovely pile of poo you sent me. I ask yet AGAIN, it is really so hard to send the prints back to their ORIGINAL theaters that played them? I sent back two absolutely flawless prints on the original release of this title and this is how you express your gratitude for taking care of those prints, eh?

I will post a couple of pictures of this fine print as soon as I remember to bring the disk home.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2000 07:47 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I try to be organized, I do not always succeed, but at least I put forth a valiant effort... I do however, keep an impeccable record of what print numbers of what films I have had on screen, complete with the dates the go and off screen. Did I get back either of the two copies I had of "Dinosaur"? Did I get back either of the two copies I had of "Gone In 60 Seconds"?
On both counts, no.

Last night, more than once, I muttered nasty comments about technicolor, as all four prints that I had to make up were shipped via TES. Lots of broken reels, and banged up cans (one was so bad that closing it was a nightmare). About the only thing that they did to my liking was all the reels were all heads up.

The copy that I got of "Gone In 60 Seconds" was actually in pretty decent shape, I didn't notice any extra splices or irritating scratches.
"Dinosaur" was another matter all together! IT had scratched causing a few yellow lines, a fair number of green lines and more black lines than I could keep track of. I found myself halfway wondering if someone had taken that print and unrolled it across a parking lot! I most displeased as I know that both copies that I had originally were in much better shape when I sent them out!

*grumbling* rassin-frassin careless people!

~GLB

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2000 01:04 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, your prints probably went to the Disney vaults.

You all know that there is no way that Technicolor could possibly inspect all the prints that they have in their facilities. Getting prints with eaten footage proves that.

Think of this: There are thousands of chump theaters that are getting these nice new prints, then running them through their meat-shredder Century-Simplex-Christie-Holmes-Zeiss-DeVry-Brenkerts that are never cleaned until something goes wrong and they have to work on them. These theaters get away with wrecking prints because Technicolor (and others) do NOT inspect the prints.

Theaters with gorillas in control just make it harder on the rest of us (including collectors) by not taking care of the prints.

I just inpected a print that has been in the can for 12 years. The theater that had it WRECKED all of R5, and 6 and rewound it and returned it even though it would not wind tightly on the reels. Oh yes, thanks 12 years ago, for throwing the leaders in the bottom of the cans and dumping the reels on top of them. You really made me want to drop a few curses.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: