Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Hired at Regal Sacramento- should I take it? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Hired at Regal Sacramento- should I take it?
Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2000 12:12 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been working at a 6-plex in Davis for nine years now, having started out on floor staff and have been a projectionist since late 1992. During that time I've gotten full experience with booth operation and can run and make up films at least as well as any union operator; in fact sometimes I've been known to be more picky than some union people. I could use a little more technical experience but that's mostly due to the union people there keeping everything in shape. I'm sure I could do more if I HAD to though.
While they've treated me pretty well there, I've been itching to move on to someplace bigger so I applied at the Regal Natomas 16 theater in Sacramento which opened a year ago. While I know the company is in trouble, this theater has been doing rather well- it's the only theater in its area so it gets almost every film that comes out. I figure the worst that could happen would that they'd sell it to someone else, it's certainly not going to close anytime soon.
I'm going to be in charge of the projection booth full-time there (if I take the job), right now the most experienced person they've got up there is a kid who can only work 20 hours a week because he's going to school; I was impressed with his knowledge and attitude and certainly has a decent amount of experience, but the rest of the people they have running the booth I hear haven't been that great, and they can certainly use me.
The bad news is that they've offered me $7.75 an hour as a starting wage, with no benefits. This is only 50 cents more than what I make at my current job running less than half as many screens with not nearly as much responsibility. The union projectionist I work with says they should pay me at least $12 an hour, I don't know what they pay the rest of their people. I really do want to work at Regal but I will have to drive a few miles to get there and I was planning to move closer if the job works out- both of those cost money obviously.
I have until next week to decide whether to take this new job or stay where I am; right now my plan is to accept their starting wage but let them know that I'm going to have to be paid more after I've been there a few months and they're happy with the job I'm doing. Does anyone here think this will work, or should I ask for more up front, or stay away altogether? I hate to sound greedy, but I do need to make at least enough to live on and to make relocating worthwhile.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-30-2000 01:25 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You never want to pass up a good thing. However you have to wonder if this is a good thing. For the Sacramento area (which I am from) you would not be doing well on 7.75 an hour. Absolutely insist on a higher wage, and inquire about when benefits would be available. If you are a full time employee you should generally be qualified within 3 to 6 months for whatever company benefits that are available.

I have been long involved in the process of negotiations for higher wages. It really all depends on how you approach the request. Never take anything at face value.

You have to believe in yourself. If they see an ounce of weakness they will eat you alive and you will never see any dramatic increases in pay.

Regal is in trouble, and they are holding on to thier assetts, cash and whatever they have. That wage may be all they have to offer. And with bankruptcy looming for them, they may not be able to increase wages for sometime.

So my advice is to tell them that you would love to take the job, but you would feel more comfortable with a higher wage compensurate for the job, and some outline of when you qualify for benefits. This strategy does not say you wont take the job for the wage they offer, but lets them know that you would be more loyal if they reciprocated that loyalty with cash and incentives.

And now back to bed. Good luck.

Dave

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 08-30-2000 01:46 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DEFINITELY TAKE IT.

Being able to say "I ran a 20-Plex" looks good to ANYBODY as far as theatre work goes. And besides - the new equipment will amaze you for at least three months. The Holiday has some nice equipment, but I'm sure you'll love all the stuff Regal has.

Give it a shot - the worst that can happen is you'll want to come back to Signature -- and what're they gonna do? Turn down an experienced projectionist? I DON'T THINK SO.

Better still - move to Sebastopol - work for us. :-)

(Wait - I should check with our Tech before offering jobs...)

------------------
Scott D. Neff
----------------
www.cinema-west.com

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2000 10:22 AM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse, first of all make sure you know exactly what you are getting into. Running a 16-plex is not an easy thing to do, I know I run a 24-plex. There is a lot on maintenance, repair and just keeping staffed properly can be a pain (unless you have a great staff). Ask for more money upfront, it's a hard job and you should get atleast 10 an hour. I don't make that much running this 24-plex, and it just means that I will always be looking for something better. It wouldn't take that much more for another theatre to lure me away.

If they can't give you more money then you have to decide if it's something you really want to do. That's really the only reason I stay at my 24-plex. I love it, I love the work. Not being in charge, but working with the staff, and equiptment is fun for me. Running a Multi-plex or Mega-plex booth is definately an experience that I am glad to have had, but now that I have been doing it over a year I know how much work it takes. It's a fun jub, but it is also hard at times, and theatre's need to realise that it is, and pay appropriately.

Ask what a starting Manager at Regel makes, because that is what you should be. A Booth Manager, because that is the type of roll you will be filling.

Not trying to scare you away, just letting you know that it's not an easy job. It sounds like a great opportunity that could be a great experience.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2000 12:51 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, I didn't expect this many replies already! I think I will take it but I will tell them that I won't be able to stay long if they don't increase my wage later.
Does anyone on this forum work for other Regal theaters and can say what they are paid for similar work? I don't even know what they're paying the other people at this theater now; that's another thing I'm going to find out before I definitely say yes.
And yes, I think I am up to running 16 screens, since at this point I can almost do 6 with my eyes closed! I certainly can't do any worse than the people they've got now!

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2000 01:21 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Annother thing to look for is, Does Regal pay Time + 1/2 for over time or just straight time for hours worked over 40hrs a week, In a larger theatre, particularly one where this alot of work to be done, there are plenty of hours to go around.

Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2000 09:51 PM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go to school and get your realastate lisence. then you can be your own boss and as much as you put into it.

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2000 01:52 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse, I would be wary of Regal. Steve talked to a former tech of theirs. He now works for Xetron. They did not pay him a lot, and only gave him 8 cents a mile for gas, no wear and tear on the car. Does not sound like a company that looks after their employees. From what I heard from the ASC tech that did the install there, they only have 1 tech for all of California. So you will be on your own. Steve and I would help you through stuff on the phone, but the Union does not want us doing work for them. So you would probably be on your own.

Besides, I have seen the equipment. All Strong. Including the platters. You will soon wish for the joy of the AW3s in Davis.

But should you change your mind, Julie would probably hire you back. But I doubt there would be extra money in it for you if you came back.

By the way, this probably would not have come up had you not passed up the opportunity to work for the Union. You could probably be at the Crest now.

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2000 07:33 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that you should probably think about it. I moved to FL from WI and needed a job that paid at least 10 bucks an hour. I looked everywhere, and descided to put an app in at regal as a back up. I wanted to be a projectionist but since there are no projectionist, only managers, i was hired as a manager. I trained at a 20 plex, and now work at an 18 plex. As for the equipment, its ok. We do have some strong platters which is a definate plus, (don't like christie or nuemades at all). I don't really get paid enough for the work I put in (like today, i worked the morning shift. I had to build 4 and a half prints, break down two, and thread 36 movies - i got some help thank God), and its barely enough to live on (kinda going into debt in fact) but its a job none the less. I'm getting management experience though. There's pluses and negatives of any job. Just weigh them and descide accordingly.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2000 01:35 AM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
8 Cents? It is actually a lot more then that. I know because I have been paid it. Regal has been a really good company to work for. I do enjoy working for them. Yes I only work at the theatre level but I don't hear to many complaints from tech's or other managers.

I know people have personal grudges or just don't like certain chains for one reason or another, but unless you personally see something or know about it your self please don't post it like the truth. Just so you know there are a lot of people with in Regal Cinemas that come to this site, but they do not post any thing because Regal is really strict as to "representing" the company.

I am by no way representing any one other then my self.

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2000 02:29 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry if what I said was interpreted as truth. It is only what I have heard.

However, it should be noted that the gentleman did not like Regal enough to leave and go to work for someone else.

All I am saying is that Jesse should go and talk to some of the employees that work there and see how they like it. I would not talk to managers, as they tend to be more biased.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2000 04:08 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

I totally agree that he should go and talk to employees at the theatre. Each theatre operates a little different from the next. Not just theatre chains, but theatres with in a chain.

A person should always research were they are trying to get a job. This should include the people he/she is going to work with and for, the type of rules and regulations, and the ability to move up in the company and make more money.

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2000 11:59 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse, I heard from Julie today that you took the job.

Good luck. Steve and I will miss you, even though you are a little on the picky side.

Kevin

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2000 06:00 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it looks like I'll get plenty of raises after I've been there awhile and done a good job, so I'm willing to take what they give me right now just to prove to them that I'm worth it.
I just spent the last 2 days learning how to run their booth, I love it already! Yes, the platters aren't as good as the Christies but they say they've never had problems with them (I'll just wait and see about that for myself) but going from 6 screens to 16! It took me a day just to figure out the layout of the booth; it took a while to get one show started just because I couldn't FIND the screen it was on! I felt like that scene in "Spinal Tap" where they take forever to get onstage because they can't find the way out
What amazes me about this place though is they make up their prints with CLEAR splicing tape; not zebra-striped, and they don't have problems finding it while tearing-down. I'd still rather use the Zebra tape since it doesn't show onscreen if you have it lined up right, but I'll compare the two and see how they affect Dolby Digital dropping out.
Does anyone know WHY the heck Regal wants the green tags at the beginning of previews cut off though? It looks really amatuerish, the beginning of some of the soundtracks gets lost on a few of them too when they do this.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-05-2000 06:12 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many booths are there? Hopefully only one or two...

Earlier this year, I had the odd experience of going from a single-screen with changeovers to a 10-plex with platters and autiomation...the biggest difference for me wasn't the job itself but the "rhythm" of how the theatre operates. I have a preference for singles, but the multiplex was definitely "interesting" to say the least.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: