Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » The Last Single Screen in St. Louis

Author Topic: The Last Single Screen in St. Louis
Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2000 07:29 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has come to my attention that the Shady Oak Theatre in St. Louis will be closing Sunday the 27th. The Shady Oak was built in 1926, I believe. It has the honor of being the last theatre in the area with a balcony. This leaves my theatre, the Hi-Pointe as the last remaining single screen. I find this very sad that the personal touch is gone.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-27-2000 11:08 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too am at the last single screen theatre in our area, got a balcony too, opened in 1928. As these old dinosaurs go, an era in movie going is being lost forever. Unfortunately the public doesn't seem to miss them till they notice the new parking lot.

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2000 09:28 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill:

I assume that is the Byrd. I hope it never goes. My wife and I went there during our honey moon many, many (many) years ago to see not only the theatre, but to hear Eddie Weaver on the WurliTzer organ. I'll never forget it.

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2000 10:41 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After Channel 2 interviewed me at the Hi-Pointe, I went over to the last show at the Shady Oak. I felt sorry for it, they were running "Autumn in New York" and it played like a TV movie. Their lens was bad, the projector wasn't level, and there was both horizontal movement and vertical jump. Even as bad as it was, I will miss it. To be honest, I was looking for an ethed glass office sign. They must be rare!

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2000 06:37 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always hate to hear of a vintage single screen being shuttered. There is such a difference in the psychological effect an old movie house has on me versus a modern multi-plex, regardless of whether the plex has two, four, or twenty-four screens.

Plush carpet, ornate poster cases, balconies, they all come together to create a wonderful feeling for me. This is true even if the place is a bit run down. For some reason multi-plexes don't do that for me. I'm certainly not hostile to plexes but they just don't effect me the way an old single does. I volunteer in the booth (Simplex XL's with Ashcraft arc lamps) of a performing arts center that was built in a 1915 as a vaudeville house. It ended its run as a commercial movie theatre in 1973, before being bought and restored by a non-profit group. When I walk into the place I always find myself smiling. It's almost like the theatre has its own personality and I've stopped by to spend time with an old friend. In fact, my 86 year old projectionist buddy who has been working that booth since 1936, both paid and now as a fellow volunteer, refers to the theatre as "the Grand Old Lady."

Travis, any idea what the plans are for the Shady Oak? Any chance it might rise again someday under new management?

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2000 10:55 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, from what I have been told Wehrenberg is still going to pay the lease. The news said it would be redeveloped, but that's a guess. I would expect everything to be stripped next week and sent to their warehouse. St. Louis is grossly overscreened and lacks anyone to undertake the reopening. I hate to see it close, but it's a mile away from my theatre and I can't see how we can attempt another one. They are so much work to maintain.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-30-2000 11:21 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard
Yes, it's the Byrd. If you came back today you would find little changed. Eddie Weaver retired in '81 and continued to play other ggigs until a few years ago. He passed away Feb. 2 this year at 92. The organ continues to be played every Sat. evening. Closing is very unlikely as business is good. Anybody coming to the area, feel welcome to come by-if you email first I'll be sure you get the grand tour.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: