Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Carmike files Chapter 11 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Carmike files Chapter 11
Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2000 10:46 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right, Carmike Cinemas Incorporated, third largest theatre company in the US by number of screens, first by numbers of locations, has filed chapter 11 bankruptcy. On the very same day, Regal announced a 29 million dollar lose for the second quarter. What is going on here?!

|  IP: Logged

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2000 12:45 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it looks like Regal and AMC may soon be following in chapter 11 as well, not to mention United Artists.

Here's an article I found about it all:

EXHIBITOR CARMIKE FILES FOR CHAPTER 11

State of the industry caused financial woes, others may follow

By JILL GOLDSMITH

Things took a nasty turn in the beleaguered movie theater biz Tuesday as
Carmike Cinemas, the nation's fourth-largest exhibitor, filed for Chapter 11
and the biggest chain in the country, Regal Cinemas, hinted that it might not
be
far behind.

"Things are bad in the sector, but they're about to get worse," said analyst
Daniel O'Neill of Credit Suisse First Boston. "You can't keep pouring capex
into a no-growth business," he added. He means the capital expenditure on
new theaters that has lifted the nation's screen count to untenable levels.

Atlanta-based Carmike still has some cash on hand but said senior lenders
blocked it from making an interest payment since it violated loan covenants
that require it to maintain certain financial ratios. That generally refers to
a
debt-to-equity ratio -- which has been leaning heavily towards the debt side at
Carmike and most of its competitors for the past several years.

Carmike opted for Chapter 11 after careful consideration "of our current
circumstances and the state of our industry," company chairman Michael
Patrick said. "Our focus is on preserving our assets and improving our
operational strength during this difficult period."

United Artists, generally considered to be in the worst shape of the bunch, is
currently hashing out new arrangements with its senior lenders. And Regal said
it hopes to do the same by end the of the third quarter. AMC Entertainment is
hurting as well, as is Cinemark and, to a lesser extent, Loews Cineplex.

The group is staggering under an enormous debt load from building expensive
new multiplexes across the country, even as attendance in the theaters is flat,
and in some cases, down. June was dismal, and competition from the
Olympics in September will kill fourth-quarter comparisons as well.

And the new locations are cannibalizing the old ones, which are being closed
down much too slowly.

There are about 37,000 screens in the U.S., and most agree, including the
exhibitors themselves, that the number needs to fall to 25,000 for the industry
to breathe easy again. Exhibs have slowed down their building, but have not
stopped it. The screen count was up 9% last year and will be up an estimated
4%-6% this year, as exhibs apparently keep spotting markets that are
screaming for a new multiplex.

It's an example of how "individually rational decisions led to collectively
irrational behavior," O'Neill said.

Wall Street is looking for more cases of Chapter 11. And, paradoxically, the
worse things get, the faster they may improve, as financial ills force
consolidation and push exhibs to shutter underperforming theaters faster.
Mergers in the industry are still a possibility, except none of the players has
spare cash for deals, and their stocks and bonds are all way down. Carmike
shares closed at $1.94 Tuesday. They were trading at close to $15 a year
ago.

Charles Lubner
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2000 12:50 AM      Profile for Charles Lubner   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Lubner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, John! Nice to see another face from Marcus here! I agree, i think many theatre companies will fold or merge later this year. In the next 3 years only 5 or so big chains will be around, with the rest independents. A lot of multiplexes are going to be bulldozed and turned into strip malls.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2000 02:45 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we are third largest, not fourth-at least for the time being. And Carmike is based out of Colombus, not Atlanta. But other than that, the article seems pretty accurate.

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2000 11:05 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank God I work for General Cinema. From the rumor mill, we're not doing much better, but GCC Capitol seems to be doing an adequate job of keeping us afloat.

With Regal doing so bad, adding 36 screens to the Twin Cities market might not be their smartest move. Carmike just built a 20 screen in a nearby city that already has a 20 screen complex and I believe two other smaller theaters. WHY? WHY? WHY? I ask.

But I for one am happy. We need to get rid of some major chains to lower the overpopulation. Time to play survival of the fittest.

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2000 01:31 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, GCC is doing much better than the industry avg. According to their SEC filings they only lost 1.5 mil in the first 6 months of the fiscal year. This was offset by 11.7 mil income from investments. But they closed 7 locations with a total of 32 screens, and sold 2 locations with a total of 10 screens. Not bad considering the competition. It may not be long until they get into the top 3. They could pick and choose some of the best theatres in the country.

However, it must be remembered that it has not been the same company since they hired Frank Stry-something from AMC. It seems that they have become very similar to AMC in the way they do business. This quite frankly, no pun intended, scares me.

I am glad to see Neil Stolberg in charge of operations. When he was out west, he did an excellent job. I like the company and hope they do well.

However, the AMC ways of caring less and less about presentation makes me wonder if GCC won't follow their path.

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2000 01:10 PM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I meant doing just as well at trying to turn a profit with the theaters alone. But yes, our investments are carrying us.

GCC has made pleanty of cutbacks as you've mentioned. But I think GCC closed most of their worst houses early and stopped building in the nick of time, while other's (mainly all other's listed in the above article) are still building.

Other cutbacks include cutting down on Union hours in the booth. This is why I am no longer an IATSE local and took on a Management job with GCC. All our locations got cut to 40hrs or less for the union. Which I guess is a smart move on their part (besides my complaint of losing %5/hr) because if Carmike and Regal can't make it paying thier Manager/Operators $7-8.00/hr, I know I made over twice that as a Union operator.

Granted I'd like to see us dump a load of capex dollars into getting rid of our antiquated Rank automation system, but I for one am understanding of any decisions to hold back on spending at this time.

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2000 12:22 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Management? Ouch. Sorry to hear that. When they dropped us from full time to 40 I was out of work. The manager did offer me a job as a manager. But, I had already been a manager before. That was why I went into the union. I did not like the headaches.

Now it is 25 a week, so I prostitute myself doing sound service.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2000 11:17 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Warner Brothers pulling their product out of all Carmike theaters? They are here in Mankato - not that I'm complaining - My 8-screen (Cinemark) has to split product w/ 2 4-screen Carmikes. They pulled Pokemon 2000 and Perfect Storm this week, forcing Carmike to interlock Godzilla 2000 - lol. I'll be laughing all weekend - esp since Perfect Storm is moving over to my theater, as well as picking up Art of War next week (originally allocated to Carmike) - I also hear that they have $7 million in unpaid film rental to Dreamworks (which would explain why they haven't played a single Dreamworks film this year).

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2000 11:37 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, in my neck of the woods we've been playing Dreamworks-Road Trip and What Lies Beneath-and we still have our prints of Pokemon 2000 and Perfect Storm. This may hae something to do with the fact that the only other theatre, a 6 screen independent, doesn't have enough screens to pick up all of this.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2000 12:09 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sounds like it may be a market-by-market thing. They aren't pulling until Thursday, though.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2000 10:21 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take that back, they pulled our print of Perfect Strom this week .

Glenda Cockrum
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2000 04:53 PM      Profile for Glenda Cockrum   Email Glenda Cockrum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well , besides my small one screen and two drive-ins, Carmike has the only theaters in this county, a 7 screen in Monaca and a (6?) in Beaver Falls. I started with Carmike and still have friends there, (despite the rather one sided competition ), I'll hate to see some of these people out of work, there's three union projectionists, and not many chains will hire union these days since PA's laws have changed.
That said however it would be a blessing if some used equipment that I know how to operate becomes available on the market! Glenda Cockrum or as my younger customers call me "that movie lady!"

Scott Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2002 07:53 PM      Profile for Scott Madsen   Email Scott Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmike Cinemas Inc. is expected to emerge from Chapter 11 U.S. bankruptcy reorganization within two weeks.

The company announced late Thursday that a federal bankruptcy court in Delaware approved its amended Chapter 11 reorganization plan, which will become effective the middle of this month.

The national movie theater chain, which is based in Columbus but incorporated in Delaware, has been in bankruptcy court since Aug. 8, 2000.

Chief Financial Officer Martin Durant in Columbus said in a prepared statement the company has improved its operating position during the 17-month Chapter 11 process.

"The company was able to terminate leases and close more than 130 unprofitable theatres, as well as reduce costs, streamline management responsibilities and restructure rents on other theatres to improve the profitability of such theatres," Durant said. "As a result, the company operates on a more efficient, effective basis and constitutes a more attractive, viable theatre circuit."

Columbus Ledger-Journal Jan 5/2002

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-08-2002 11:05 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean that they will make there showtimes so that half there movies do not start at the same time. Here is a ten screen show schedule for them

1:00
1:05
1:05
1:10
1:15

No wonder they have lines of pissed of people half way down the middle of the parking lot...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: