Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Sub-Runs/Dollar Houses (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Sub-Runs/Dollar Houses
Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2000 08:05 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I know that some of you work in sub-runs. My question is, how profitable are they? Obviously, the film rentals are considerably lower, and you still have the profit margin on the concessions that a first run has, but do people want to see a film after the national break has passed the five or six week window? My experience shows that a good 20% of the people who walk through the front doors have no clue what they want to see-they're either there for a night out or for the experience. I also can't see outside food smuggling being much worse than at any other theatre.

Now, I have also noticed that sub-runs are virtually nonexistant here in New England, but proliferate in the South, especially in Florida. Why is that? I would think that if someone were to go into the more economically depressed areas of this region with a dollar house, they'd pack the place. The only problem I can see with sub-run is the condition of the prints once they get to this stage.

Thoughts and comments?

|  IP: Logged

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2000 10:00 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Huntsville, AL, Regal closed both of the subrun theatres it operated: the "Regal 8", originally built by Cobb in 1982, and the "Gateway Cinema 4", originally built as a single screen in 1967. Both were closed in May 2000 with very little warning. The manager of the Regal 8 found out Monday that his theatre would close after the following Thursday and the Gateway folks knew abot 2 weeks ahead of time. The closing of these theatres upset a lot of people.

I noticed that although ticket prices were $2.25 and $1.50 at the two theatres during their final days, their concession prices were identical to the first-run theatres run by Regal, so the concessions profit was the same. Whether the ticket profits were the same depends on how much those theatres had to pay to get their prints.

A Regal employee told me that the Regal 8 was one of the most profitable second-run theatres. I attended movies at both of these theatres and on weekends, there were some pretty good crowds when popular movies were shown.

Both theatres were closed due to needed maintenance that was going to be expensive. (A failed air conditioner compressor at Gateway and the roof at Regal 8, according to what I've heard). Based on Regal's decision to close these theatres due to these costs, I'd say that the expensive maintenance on old buildings is the primary cause of death for second-run theatres. Another reason for some second-run houses shutting down was due to the neighborhoods around the theatre becoming run down, causing higher crime (drug deals in the parking lot). Carmike shut down our University 6 several years back because of this, according to a former Carmike employee). This same employee told me that the Cinema I and II second run theatre in Florence, AL was shut down by the health department. Companies don't seem to want to put much money into maintaining second-run theatre, so they seem to run until they develop serious maintenance problems, or have crime problems due to deterioration of surrounding areas.

When popular movies (Star Wars, There's Something About Mary, Waterboy, Toy Story 2, etc.) first hit the second-run houses, people crowd in because here, many people used to wait for movies to hit the second run places. The other people that tend to go to the second run houses were just out looking for something to do, and tended to be repeat customers, like south Huntsville people who think "Let's go to the Regal 8 tonight and see something", since it was cheap entertainment.

Of course, now, we have no second-run theatre anywhere close to Huntsville that I know of. Nashville or Birmingham would be the closest places I know of that would have such places anymore.

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2000 11:30 AM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember maybe 3 or 4 years ago when National Amusments (showcase)bought a Entertainment Cinema in Rhode Island which was just about to open and rather then opening it as a 1st Run Theatre, they Opened it was a 2nd Run $1.50 place. There was a General Cinema maybe 5 miles down road, and when General closed up their theatre, Showcase the next week went to 1st run! I believe it was the ONLY 2nd run theatre that NA ran, but I might be wrong.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 08-03-2000 12:17 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked for a brief period of time for UA at the Empire Cinema 4 in Rohnert Park, CA back when it was a discount house. It was the only theatre in town, with larger theatres 10 minutes in either direction to fill the 1st run needs.

We had $2.00 weeknights, $2.50 weekends and holidays. The place did okay for itself. It was surely run down, and they never wanted to put any money into the place.

The problem was, the snack bar prices were just as high as regular UA theatres, and customers would come in and complain that they paid $2.50 to get in, but they had to pay $4.00 for a popcorn?!!?!? So I think people tended to sneak in food instead of pay for it.

However - our company is cufrently running a $3.00 house in a nearby town, and nobody really complains about the prices, they're just happy that admission is so low. BUT - there's a large 8-plex right up the street.

I would think that when there is 1st run competition in the same town, people are just grateful NOT to pay 1st run prices. BUT if there really isn't a 1st run theatre in the market, then people just expect EVERYTHING to be cheap.

------------------
Scott D. Neff
----------------
www.cinema-west.com

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-03-2000 12:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess we'd be considered a 2nd run theatre because we usually play movies 3 to 5 weeks after the break; but we're considered first run by the film companies because we're the only theatre in town.

Is it better to play "on the break?" Absolutely. We played Mission Impossible 2 on the break, while we played #1 about 4 weeks after. We grossed twice as much on MI2 as on the first movie. We played The Patriot in its third week, and did over twice as much as we did on Braveheart, which we played something like 6 weeks in.

Is running a small theatre profitable? Yes, at least in my case. Nobody's getting rich or anything, but our attendance here has actually gone up a couple of percentage points this year, mostly because of more agressive booking I think. And that's in spite of a 50c price increase across the board last October.

I think any small town or 2nd run theatre can survive if you give the patrons the best possible show you can. (And, go after those trailers!!!) I'm lucky to have a day job, so if the theatre needs a new "whatever," I can bite the financial bullet for a few months to pay for it if necessary. Such upgrades always result in great word of mouth.

About print condition: It's actually kind of amazing how many prints we get that are in pretty good shape. It's the reels and cans that are beat up!

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2000 02:12 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About print condition at second-run theatres: I was usually pleased with the quality of prints at both of the second run theatres we had. In fact, there have been cases where the print condition was better at the second-run theatres than at the first-runs.

It's all in the management. Good management at an old theatre often beats poor management at a new theatre with the most modern equipment. One of our second-run theatres, the Gateway 4, had excellent management, and beat the pants off a first-run theatre about a half mile away when it came to presentation quality.

Of course, our other second-run theatre had terrible management. The manager there didn't even know what masking was. When I mentioned to him that all of his screens but one were 2.00:1 and did not have adjustable masking, he asked "What masking?" He had no idea what I was talking about. A week later, this theatre in the old A&P grocery store building was closed. Lesson: Don't build a multiplex theatre in an old grocery store!

Even if equipment and print conditions are not always optimal at older theatres, a good manager can make the best of what he or she has to work with and often come out ahead of an average first-run theatre. When the Gateway theatre was closed (the excellent second-run theatre), the manager got a job at a new 16-plex elsewhere, and this manager told me that one thing that led to getting that job was the positive comments about the projection quality at the Gateway. I put in a number of those comment cards myself, and made very positive comments about the theatre on my web site where I do the theatre reviews. I definitely try to reward good management every chance I get, and it is nice to think that I helped that manager get that job! I won't say this manager's name, but it anagrams to "Kept Screen Boy".

Evans A Criswell http://home.hiwaay.net/~criswell/theatre/

------ If you are in love with a female projectionist, send her a valentine. If you don't like her, send her a Ballantyne.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-03-2000 08:42 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am running a second run house that is very profitable, but will close down after thanksgiving this year. reason? the lease is up. It is twenty years old and needs a total rebuild. The mall will not do it without a huge increase in the rent. There would be no way to survive as a local car dealer built a new megaplex just one mile away, Century will be building a new 24 plex just three miles away, and the full price theater next door went to discount, and they have ten years left on thier lease.

Not to worry however, I am assuming control of another and very old theater in another part of town. Not much that can be built out there, and very little competition to worry about. It used to be a sub run but went discount. My intention is to turn it into a cinema pub by years end. It has five screens, four are 90 seat houses and the other is a 250 seat house.

Dave

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2000 11:22 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You ask about subrun? Can it be profitable? Yes it can, but it's getting more difficult all the time. As you've seen, there is a difference between subrun and discount. Here in the mid Atlantic region most discount theatres have disappeared over the past several years, or have moved their run up to subrun. Some have even gone first run.

I have over the course of the past thirty two years owned and operated all three types, first, sub, and discount. Both indoor and drive-in. From the mid 70s through the mid 90s my most successful operations were always the discounts...most were single screen except for a few twins. One of my theatres, that I have had now since 1970, and is the only one I still have, was for over twenty five years one of the top grossing dollar houses in the country. It is now a subrun as the discount business has almost completely dried up. The change occurred toward the mid 90s as newer twins and tri-plexes changed to a discount policy. They did very well for a while, however they have all closed over the past year and once again the several singles that have been in this area since pre TV days are still carrying on as subruns.

What happened to the discount (and subrun)business? Those of us who operate them often discuss this question among ourselves. Firstrun prices have skyrocketed...you would think that that alone would send more patrons to us...it hasn't! OK, so they have built a whole slew of new megaplexes in the area, and some of them aren't that bad...stadium seating, digital sound, pictures on two or three (sometimes more) screens, so you can always get in. Even considering all of that it doesn't make sense. When we had 8 discount screens in the area in the mid 90s, they together averaged about 9,000 admissions per week (1,125 per screen). Today with only three subrun screens left, they together are only averaging around 2,000 patrons per week. Where have the other 7,000 gone? Since the three that are left have given up discount and gone from a buck to two fifty or three dollars...did that make their fomer patrons say: Since they went from a dollar to two or three dollars...I won't pay it, I'll pay $7.00 at a megaplex instead. Does that make any sense?

Going to subrun has moved our run up to where we now play with the first runs during their later weeks of an engagement...but it doesn't seem to matter. We can't seem to recoup that lost audience. For one thing the teenagers have completely disappeared (not that that is a bad thing), and the families aren't there as before. The only audience that has remained unchanged, and possibly even increased, is the over 40 audience. They want to stay away from the teens, kids and the megaplexes, and they want to save $.

My personal theory is the economy...it's too damn good. People have lots of money, and aren't looking for bargains just now. Plus our society presently wants immediate gratification in every thing they do..the new car, the new house and even the new movie...must be had right away...no waiting, no matter what the cost, credit is easy...just sign on the line!

What does that hold for the future of subrun? It means it's a waiting game (if we can hold on). The business will be back after the economy tanks out...and it WILL. Anyone who has ever studied economics knows that the economy works in cycles. Some longer then others, but what goes around comes around for sure when speaking of economics. A recession WILL come, maybe even a depression (let's hope not). When it does, overtime dries up, unemployment goes up, and the bills catch up...then people will be looking for bargains again! And they will be back to not only subruns, but discounts will return as well.

Plus considering the state of the big chains as they are now in this "best of all economies"...they will all be bankrupt when the downturn arrives, or shortly thereafter.

Although I wouldn't recommend anyone going into subrun at the present time...for those of us that presently are...hang in there, as better times are coming. (Maybe sooner then later!...just look at those stock prices).

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2000 01:54 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I currently work at a discount theatre in Sacto. The prices are $1.00 matinee and $1.75 for evening, $4.00 for midnights. Concession prices are lower than that of the first run theatres. I am not sure by how much, cause when I go to the competitors, I sneak food in.

This theatre, in the early 90's (recession time), had over 1,000,000 people through the door for the fiscal year. It was in the top ten both for profit and number of patrons to walk through the door for General Cinema. Not bad for a 6 plex with about 1,500 seats, built by Mann in '76 and added to in '83. There would be times when they would stop selling tickets by 5:00. Not because of a shift change, but because all the shows were sold out for the rest of the day.

Currently, business is not what it use to be, but I understand that we still make a profit. The mall wants us out, and since GC wants out of anything west of the Mississip, when the renewal time for the least comes up, we will probably be out.

I am sure that Richard is right. The economy is doing well and people don't care about how much the entertainment costs. I believe that the next recession will probably hit no later than fall of '01, although this fall it may happen. Ever notice that most recessions always come after summer?

So if you have a discount house and can keep your head above water a little longer, you might be rolling in money.

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2000 11:30 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention film condition.

Some excellent, some terrible, but mostly OK. I have noticed in the last 6 years, film condition has gotten better. I would say that this is due to the advent of the gigaplex. With more prints available at the beginning of a run, and most coming off screen in a few weeks. There is less time for the first prints off screen to be screwed up.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2000 11:37 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I agree with everything Richard Wolfe has said about the current state of discount business, his analysis leaves out the most significant obstacle facing discount exhibitors today: the perceived need on the part of the film distributors to insulate and protect the first run markets.

It wasn't always this way. Throughout the 70's and most of the 80's the distributors viewed discount theatres (most of which were older mom-and-pop type operations) as a seperate ancillary market. No one cared or paid much attention. Films were generally moved directly from the first runs to the discount theatres.

Starting about 1988-1989 everything changed. With the building boom in full swing, all of sudden there were many more discount venues as the majors shifted policy on their aging twins and triplexs so they wouldn't compete with their own new builds. But what really seems to have ignited the ire of the film distributors was the entrance into the discount market of chains like Super Saver Cinemas - building state of the art plexs comparable to the newer first runs but only charging $1.00 admission.

All of a sudden the discounts were no longer just an additional revenue source. The distributors began to perceive all such operations (regardless of size or market)as direct competion for the more lucrative first runs. A discounted ticket price came to be viewed as a 'loss leader' to entice the public to purchase non discounted concessions.

Thus evolved a series of distributor polices aimed at curbing the discount market. At first it confined to things like per capitas, increased rental percentages, non-split policies and the like. When these failed to have a significant impact, then came the delay in availibilities.

Given today's rapidly changing marketplace, these delays now result in discount exhibitors being unable to obtain a picture until it is either: (i) played out; (ii) disappeared from the public's consciouness; or (iii) two weeks before video release.

No matter what happens with economy in the future, the only serious chance or survival for the discount market is a reversal of the attitude on the part of the film distributors.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2000 08:08 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan,

You are right about the "two weeks before video release" statement. During the end of the life of the Regal 8 second run in my area, they were showing several movies after their DVDs came out.

It was really neat to be able to pay $2.25 to see a movie I hadn't seen to decide if I wanted to buy the $20 or $25 DVD! That was a really useful (although unusual) service!

O'Neil put a sub-run theatre in Nashville in the old Hills shopping center at the intersection of TN 45 and US 31E and the last time I drove by it, I was amazed at how old some of the movies were. It seems that this location was once a grocery store or department store, back around 1991 or so.

I really hate to see sub-run theatres disappearing in my area, because I really enjoyed going to the sub-run places to catch "that movie I wanted to see again but didn't want to pay full price for". If sub-runs came back, maybe someone could reopen the University 6.

On the subject of sub-runs, how many theatres are there that show both first-run and sub-runs in the same complex, and charge different prices for each? I haven't encountered one of those, but it would seem to be a good idea for complexes that have a lot of screens where there aren't any sub-run screens at other locations.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2000 05:46 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Asheville, NC, there are no dollar houses anymore. Up to last year, there were 4 twin dollar theaters. The West-Twin owned by Roth Theaters, the Biltmore Twin, the Mall Twin, and the Terrace, which was an Ultra-Vision theater that held around 800 people when built in 1967.

All of these buildings are gone now.

All others here are UA, Regal, and Carmike. I avoid the UA's because they are generally nasty, and they often have a bluish image. I hate that.

I went to all of the dollar theaters. The best was the Mall twin. Round auditorium, and 350 seats. Always spotless, and usually had a decent screen image and sound. The manager was a stickler for perfection, and it showed.

There is only one "single theater" left in town, and its balcony has been walled in and turned into a 2nd theater. It was a porn theater until 1985 and there are lots of people in this town that will not go there because of its history. Nobody rememebers that it sat there empty for 12 years. I was one of the first to go in after the sale to the current owner. I worked on the Century CC's for about 6 hours and got them running. The sound worked, then died after the moisture in all of the parts worked its way out.

The owner was going to refurbish the theater and keep the balcony until I was tossed aside and new assistants came in. Now, they're an "art" house. With my management, there would have been lots of older titles, and recent biggies.

I have not seen them sell out.
The owner may close it after all.

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2000 10:17 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that a twin could make it in the discount market. I think that 6 is the minimum for the economies of scale you need to keep your head above water.

I would love to see a 12 screen welfare theatre that could seat 3,000. Man, during a recession, you could print your own money. Hey, that isn't such a bad idea. I wonder if the government would mind if I did that.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2000 03:26 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work at a 3 screen 2nd run house on the northshore in Massachussetts. Our ticket Prices were $1.00 and Concession was
Small Popcorn 2.00
Medium Popcorn 3.00
Large Popcorn 4.00
XL Popcorn 5.00
Small Drink 1.50
Med Drink 2.00
Large Drink 2.50
Xl Drink 3.00
Small Candy 1.00
MEdium Candy 1.50
Large Candy 2.00
Ice Cream (moviebites) 2.50
NAchos 2.50

we had no registers all the adding was done in our heads we did a full physical inventory every night. and for box office we used an AUTOMATICKET the best ticket machine in the world!!!! anyways this theatre did extremely well selling out every friday night saturday night and some times saturday matinees. we would have about 8 prints at a time and it was great. even when loews shutdown thier old six screen a few miles away and opened up a 20 we did not lose business not until someone bought the old six and renovated it and opened up a 7 screen "Discount" movie theatre did we start to suffer. I know work for that "Discount" theatre making more $$$$$ but I miss my little 3 screen. oh bye the way the 7 uses christie equipment (Typical 80's Loews booth) but the 3 used Century Projectors Strong SuperLume-x Lamphouses and Potts Alpha Platters (The old kind with the switch for Payout, Make-up Rewind, and off/Breakdown) I loved this equipment it was so reliable and I never had a problem now with the christie AW3's on the other hand...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: