Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Capitol Theatre Pottsville, Pa.

Author Topic: Capitol Theatre Pottsville, Pa.
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-31-2000 11:01 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have an older patron who has fond remembrances of the Capitol Theatre in Pottsville Pa. he went there often his youth in the 30's . He is no longer able to travel much and has no contacts there. Does anybody know if it still exists, how many seats, was it part of a chain?, etc He would appreciate what ever anybody could provide. Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2000 02:52 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Capitol Theatre in Pottsville, Pa. is long gone I'm sorry to say, as well as the Hollywood and Hippodrome theatres that were there as well.
The Capitol had 2,500 seats and a large stage. It was operated by Penn-Paramount for many years, but it's final decade of operation was under the Fox Theatres Management Corp. (Reading, Pa.) banner.
It was a beautiful theatre. I worked for Fox in the late 60s and would have to go to that theatre at times for various reasons. I believe it closed in the late 70s. I was in it in 1981 when we obtained all the stage rigging equipment and the flyable screen frame for reinstallation into the State theatre in Easton, Pa. which was undergoing the first phase of its restoration into a performing arts center. The Capitol by that time was in horrible shape. Most of the ceilings were lying on the seats and floors. It was torn down a few years later.
I could scan pictures of the theatre into this site if someone would explain to me how to do it.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: