Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Cinemark Selling Theatres?

Author Topic: Cinemark Selling Theatres?
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2000 07:45 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know about Cinemark selling off some of its theatres in the central Ohio area?

The four local houses have removed all mentions of Cinemark from theatres and ads. No changes in management as far as I can tell.

Cinemark is the weakest of the chains in this area, with 4 locations. The sub-run seems to do the most business.

Mark L.

|  IP: Logged

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 07-18-2000 12:29 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark is selling all of its sub runs out here as well. Cinemark is huge out here though considering that their world headquarters is right next door to their old flagship theater where i use to work. The rumor is, that cinemamrk is still going to stay cinemark but i heard (though it migh not even be true, there have been rumors before) the owner is stepping down. dont quote me on that one though.

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2000 07:03 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some additional information from the newspaper today (credit to Frank Gabrenya, Columbus Dispaatch).

Cinemark is looking at 15-20 money losing operations around the country. They will be individually evaluated by a team from the main office (hope none of them are Psyclos!)

What no one is explaining is why the Cinemark name has been removed from all advertising. Cinemark has no comment on that.

If I were them, I'd close the 3 first run houses and keep the sub-run open. It really packs in the people, especially on Tuesday 50 cent admission night. I was there last week to see WHERE THE HEART IS and the 7:25 screening was packed. With the 50 cent admission, people just come to the movies and decide what to see when they get there. For 50 cents, you really can't lose much.

Mark L.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-01-2000 01:52 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is true that Cinemark is dumping theaters. One right next door to me they are trying to dump. they have 10 years left on thier lease, and it runs them about 18 grand a month. They are NOT making that much. We have considered assuming the building, assuming that we can renegotiate the lease down a bit. Otherwise they have NO takers. Most of the theater chains are in BIG trouble right now.

dave

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2000 12:16 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this story continues to get weird. Local critics tried to find out just what was going on from Cinemark corporate. After getting the run around for awhile, they finally reached a spokesman who said that these were underperforming theatres, and they were being evaluated. My favorite comment is that they removed the name CINEMARK from the advertising so they could save money by using less space. The ads look the same size to me! Anyway, they still accept Cinemark passes, so they must be Cinemark theatres. My guess is that 3 of the 4 will close, and the fairly successful sub-run will stay open.

We'll soon see.

Mark L.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2000 08:49 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, another weird turn. A local paper reported this week that all of the telephone numbers in the new ads are incorrect. So, when you call a theatre for time, you are told the number is disconnected!

Cinemark promised to go over these theatres with a "fine-tooth comb". Looks like the comb wasn't fine enough.

I get the feeling Cinemark would just like to see these places just go away.

Mark L.

Stephen Jones 1
Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2000 03:45 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones 1   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Jones 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our theatre received an email from Corporate about the selling of certain theatres. In our region they all seemed to be dollar houses. From what I understand, Cinemark still owns a portion of these theatres but will not be operating them. They are to transfer all Cinemark uniforms, cups, bags, and other Cinemark items and will be replaced with generics. Here in Little Rock, the dollar house has been seperated from our ad, so it won't be associated with Cinemark.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2000 04:04 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You got an email.. They never sent us an email.. (grumble grumble grumble)...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: