Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Film Bookers

Author Topic: Film Bookers
Chris Meacham
Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2000 10:32 PM      Profile for Chris Meacham   Email Chris Meacham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the process of starting a movie theater in Central Connecticut.. Does anyone know how I can find a film booker in this area? Is film booker even the right term? Any assistance would be appreciated..

cdm

------------------

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-18-2000 07:02 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the format of your theatre? Most likely, you would choose a different booker for a first-run mainstream house than you would choose for an art or rep house.

Chris Meacham
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2000 09:02 AM      Profile for Chris Meacham   Email Chris Meacham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking at first-run movies.. However, I may in the future look into classics.

I was under the impression that a film booker would be able to handle all sorts of requests, but I may be wrong..

Thanks for your reply..

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2000 12:36 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about bookings, but here is my 2 cents. We are a 12 plex in Eua Claire Wisconsin (bout an 1 and 1/2 east of the twin cities) run by Carmike. Our only competition is an independent, Grengs Theatres. Now you'd think we could easily kick their ass in bookings, being a big mega corp and all. WRONG. They're always getting the best movies (Gladiator, Dinosaur, Mission Impossible II, Chicken Run, X-Men, Nutty Proffessor II). They use Mann's Booking Service in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis or St. Paul, can't remember which). Supposedly Mann's books for over 400 independents across the country.

I don't know what kind of rep they have elsewhere, but based on my experience I'd look into them.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 07-18-2000 05:05 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might give Doug Endicott and Mark Schulte at Exhibitor Support Partnership in LA a call. They are my bookers and are great. They book for over 150 screens across the country including first run - both competitive and non-competitive situations, art-houses, rep houses, move-over and discount. You can reach them at 323.654.2799. Beyond that plug, definitely choose someone you feel you can work with. Chemistry is important as bookings are vital to the success of your theatre. A well booked independent can beat out the chains. It happens in many places in the country. A big part of securing product in a competetitive situation is proving that to the distributors that your theatre can deliver a gross. After all, bottom line its about the $.

Mike VonderHaar
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2000 07:50 PM      Profile for Mike VonderHaar   Email Mike VonderHaar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't really need a booking agent from the area that you are in. Nowdays with computers and such a good booker from any area who knows his stuff can do a good job for you.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: