Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How important are the Critics?

Author Topic: How important are the Critics?
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2000 05:25 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my town we have a daily newspaper and a weekly independent. The review or the listings don’t seem to be that important in the weekly independent but it is cheap to advertise with them and we can’t ignore any avenue.

The Critic for the daily has to cover all aspects of entertainment in the county so he only seems to personally review one film a month. Therefore the paper runs reviews off of the wire services. The paper is owned by the New York Times but never runs the reviews for the New York Times. This irritates us because sometimes the New York Times review is good for one of our films. They mostly run Roger Ebert or some guy in Seattle who hates everything. The daily ran a review for the film East-West under the headline “Un-Watchable.” As a result our business for the film was terrible. However the New York Times review was very good.

This week they gave a lukewarm review for Hamlet, as a result, no one showed up for our 4:00 PM show. Our critic didn’t watch this film; they just pulled something off the wire.

In the last three weeks we have had a film in each week that they don’t review. At first I was pissed, but these films have done well, in spite of the lack of coverage.

What are the criteria for these people to pick reviews off of the wire services? Who the hell do they think they are to slam a film they haven’t seen? Are they just going for extreme headlines at the expense of our business or are they trying to follow some journalistic principle?

|  IP: Logged

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2000 11:22 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh! The local film "experts"!

We have a few here who occasionally trash us in print because we are a first run theatre and do not run independent or "art" films.

As near as I can tell, the qualifications for the job are basically "who" you know rather than "what" you know.

They like to hang around with kindred minds and recite words they have read in Film Journal, like "avant-guard" and "risque".

I doubt they know what the words mean, but hey! They sound very chic when they recite them.

Please note that I am trashing the critics, not the films. I rather enjoy the occasional flick that has not been computer animated and digitally mastered to death.

I think that you will find that even when they write the reviews themselves, all the big words were read by them somewhere else.

Time Code played here and a review was written, but I don't recall ever seeing the local gurus in the boxoffice line.

But, it is not our place to question their wisdom. You see, they are very refined, and we are just theatre pond scum out to make a buck.

Until we attain that level, we should be thankful that we have them to spoon feed our opinnions to us.

*Okay, I have to go vomit now*

Ian, just don't "publicly" attack their qualifications. It's not worth the hassle.

Russ

Charles Lubner
Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2000 01:08 AM      Profile for Charles Lubner   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Lubner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Milwaukee, the local paper The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, has a real prick of a critic. I've been reading his columns for the past 3 years I've been working in a theatre, and HE'S NEVER HAD A POSITIVE REVIEW!! He could review "Citizen Kane" or "Godfather" and trash it. Luckily, audiences don't seem to pay too much attention....they just want to see the special effects or excessive violence.

Milwaukee also has several alternative free papers, the best being the Shepherd Express Metro. The independent papers actually take the time to review a film and point out it's good and bad points, instead of just trashing a film overall because of one or two weak areas. Also, the Black Community Journal has a good critic who not only reviews films at my theatre, but writes articles about us when we upgrade sound systems or renovate the theatre. In my opinion, the free papers influence the younger college crowd a lot more than the mainstream publications.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-15-2000 12:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger Ebert & Gene Siskel were on the Tonight Show once and Leno asked them, "How much influence to you have on a movie's boxoffice performance?" Ebert replied, "I don't think we have much influence at all. Look at all the movies we give 'thumbs down' to, that are big hits; and a lot of the movies we rave about are flops."

While I agree with this to some extent, bad critical reviews can really trash our business when we play a movie after 3 or 4 weeks of savage reviews....and the opposite can happen after good reviews. We played American Beauty twice....the first time, it was a flop; then after all the awards, etc. we played it again and did very well with it.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-15-2000 09:46 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My uncle is one ot the critics for the local newspaper. His reviews come out in the Thursday's "Showcase" section. He's a great guy but I agree with others that reviewers can often be pretty "academic" in their views.

There are plenty of times when I see him comming to the theatre to review the movie and I'll make sure that everything's 100%. (Not that it isn't 100% all the time but I like to double check for him.) When he leaves he'll often give me a subtle nod if he liked it. (It's rather uncool for him to talk about his review in depth until it comes out in the papaer. -- Or at least until he's submitted the final draft.) Generally I agree with his reviews. Once in a while we disagree and it's fun to "argue'" wit h him.

As far as whether a review can make or break a film... My 2nd job at Mercyhurst college depends about 90% on those reviews. The college will usually request a "screener" tape of the movie so it can be reviewed. If the movie gets a good review the business can shoot up to almost double the usual number. For End of the Affair, we had a record number of people simply on the basis of the review. The Cinemark dollar theatre even picked up the print for almost a month simply based on the response from OUR showing! On the other hand a review won't kill our business unless it's a REALLY bad one.

The really impiortant factor is that the movie gets reviewed. If it doesn't, we only get 1/2 the usual business.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-15-2000 11:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So Ian, how about if Joe was to review movies in your local paper?

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-17-2000 02:25 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My customers want me to tell them if it is good or not. They actually trust me for this. Personally I love just about every BAD B grade sci fi film ever made, except for a few star trek films..... My favorite b grade film is called APEX... very b grade. If I were a critic, I would be hanged by my toenails!!! I love films and always give rave reviews unless the film really stinks (ala Idle Hands.. that film actually MADE me homicidal!)

Critics have a large impact, but not the national ones.. the local ones are who people trust. Our local reviewers are mormon and catholic depending on what paper you read. SO they never agree on anything. That means you either get all the mormons showing up or you get all the catholics showing up. where the hell are all the jewish reviewers anyway???

Oh yeah... shalit...

and my rant is over

dave

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2001 05:46 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How important? Not at all -- and in some cases they do their best to destroy moviegoing!

Central New Jersey gets all the New York dailies plus most of the Manhattan-based weeklies (The Village Voice, Time Out New York, The New Yorker, New York). For New Jersey dailies there are two Gannett papers and a statewide paper.

One Gannett paper runs only reviews from the Gannett wire service. Plot summary with no context, written with pullquotes in mind. The headline always telegraphs the review. The paper's policy is selfish: Two reviews on Evolution, side by side, yet nothing on Memento. And Memento played in the theater I usually go to!

The other Gannett paper has a moralistic prude who hates everything. Her paper has banned reviews AND ads for movies that played in local theaters (Memento is the most recent example). At the same time, this prude writes glowing stories about film festivals at Rutgers University -- without telling readers that the newspaper is a sponsor of those festivals.

The statewide paper has two New York-based critics. The paper's policy is to run the review when the movie opens in New York -- NOT when the movie opens in New Jersey. Last week About Adam opened in New Jersey as did Atlantis -- but there were no reviews in the statewide paper. This week New Jersey gets The Anniversary Party, Dr. Dolittle 2, The Fast and the Furious, Himalaya and Sexy Beast. Guess which movies the statewide paper will review? Also, the reviews are plot summary with no context, accompanied by a headline that telegraphs everything. (Himalaya opens in New Jersey day-and-date with Manhattan.)

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2001 10:03 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that in the Huntsville Times here locally, they seem to print the most negative review of a movie they can find. I never trust reviews too much, because you never know what the reviewer's agenda is. For all I know, they might be working for the studio that made the movie. I like to read several reviews to get a more rounded set of opinions.

If newspapers would run reviews of the presentation quality of the movies as well as reviews of the movies, I think it would help clean up a lot of the theatres with sloppy presentation.

Does anyone but me review presentation quality at theatres and compile and post the results? I thought of calling myself (and the title of my site) "The Movie Theatre Critic" when I started, but the scope of my site quickly went beyond presentation quality reviews.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Info Site

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2001 01:30 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to go to www.rottentomatoes.com. There every week they compile a list of different critics on one page and there is a tomato meter. 60% favorable and it gets a good tomato, less than 60 is rotten. For most movies, I usually ignore the ones that are between 30-70% since you can go either way with it. But when the tomato meter reads extremely favorable or disfavorable, something *must* be good or bad about it, or else 60 of 70 critics would not have slammed it.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2001 08:06 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part of the problem with critics is that customers don't have the time to read various reviews, see the movies and pick a personal critic. There was a time when there were a few national critics that were mostly respected, and people quickly learned which of those few fit their own style. As newspapers picked up reviews and local critics out of the gutter, and studios injected their ads with no-name rave reviews, things got muddy and messy.

The Miami Herald now routinely pans films. The decent critic they had, Bob Cosford, died a few years back and no one was able to fill his shoes. It is common for me to see a Miami Herald review pan a film and yet give it three stars or more, or for a film with a great review to end up with two stars. Go figure.

A lot of the problem with today's mainstream films is that the films being reviewed often don't deserve the time spent reviewing them. How does one review yet another action/special effects movie? How does one review "Freddie: Part 17" with a straight face? One might as well review individual McDonald's hamburgers. These films are "product" as pure and simple as the next beef patty on the greasy grill of Hollywood.

What one gets out of a film is often a very personal experience and related to a person's own values and views. This is why it is important to find a reviewer who's tastes are similar to your own.

Another part of watching film is understanding it in context, or understanding the historical significance of older films.

For example: Alan Greenspan is arguably one of the most influential men in the world today, and understanding what makes him tick is more important than any of the sport scores or trivia most people call important. Few people know that he was closely affiliated with Ayn Rand, the self-proclaimed capitalist "philosopher", early on in his career or that he espoused and expanded on her radical views.

There is a movie called "The Passion of Ayn Rand" which is a tedious retelling of Rand's life that can give some insight into Rand. However, if one knows Rand more deeply, there is a rarely seen film that undoubtedly shaped some of her personality and world views and is a fascinating glimpse into Rand's naked psyche, "Queen Christina" (1933) with Greta Garbo, directed by Rouben Mamoulian.

Rand emmigrated from Russia to the U.S. in 1926 and had not yet written any of her major works in 1933. The lifting of the Garbo heroine character becomes obvious in her later writings, as does her affectations of some of Garbo's traits.

The actual person Queen Christina (Kristina Wasa) is an interesting historical figure who was badly used by Mamoulian to tell a trite story with little relation to fact. For a full experience of movie watching for depth, see "Passion of Ayn Rand", then see "The Fountainhead", then see "Queen Christina", then check the IMDB site for viewer's comments, then check this website for a timeline biography of the real Queen Christina, then check out a biography of Ayn Rand here. The process will take two or three days of watching film and looking at websites, more if you decide to go deeper.

A good reviewer can put a film in context like this and make the experience of seeing a movie much more than watching 95 minutes of a weak plot line. Along the way the viewer learns more about history, more about Hollywood, and more about how movies fit in the world.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 06-21-2001 08:23 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Critic's review has been and always will be one man/woman's opinion.

As far as I am concerned reviews do not effect what I will go to see. Most of the time I disagree with most of the reviews I have read.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2001 09:28 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A Critic's review has been and always will be one man/woman's opinion.

AMEN, and I've found that my opinion of a movie is often different than the reviewers. I've seen several movies that only got "two star" ratings (and occasionally a "one star") that I really enjoyed and had fun watching. I've been to some that had "three star" and "four star" ratings that I found dull and boring. Of course, if I wrote the reviews, most people would disagree with me. Anyway, it's just something that makes life interesting. If everyone's opinion of a movie was the same, everyone would just read a review in the paper and not see it if it didn't get at least three stars. I find "one star" movies interesting, just to see why they only got "one star" from many people, and sometimes find such movies interesting and hilarious just because they're so bad, which makes them good (sometimes).

The sad thing is that negative reviews printed in the newspaper and shown on the news can really hurt the business of a movie that deserved larger audiences. It hurts both the studios and the theatres themselves.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Info Site

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2001 11:37 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry: The critics at the Village Voice are the only ones I know of who put a movie into context. Because of them I've seen and liked a few movies I might have passed up. G.I. Jane, Starship Troopers, A Soldier's Daughter Never Cries (Merchant Ivory arthouse movie) and Isn't She Great come to mind.

Evans: Are you alluding to the latest Sony fiasco? Two Sony marketing executives were used in "man in the street" commercials for The Patriot last year. This scam got exposed by Variety last week.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: