Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Titles: AMG?,Assistant Manager? or just plain,, HEY YOU!!!

Author Topic: Titles: AMG?,Assistant Manager? or just plain,, HEY YOU!!!
Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2000 06:48 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Here's the question...
The theater I am at my "title" is ASSISTANT MANAGER, or as they really call it AMG, which I hate even more, but anyways. I have been at this theater for the past 8 years, and although there is a "manager" at the theater I am at, I have also helped out at two other theaters that this chain owns. When I was helping at the other theaters I was a "manager". So, the Question i have is.. anyone have any cool titles that they call themselves? I figure Assistant Manager doesnt cover everything and AMG, forget it! Any one have any suggestions!

|  IP: Logged

Zach Zagar
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2000 08:14 PM      Profile for Zach Zagar   Author's Homepage   Email Zach Zagar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMG sounds like a weird title...

I feel sorry for some people in my heirarchy. Assistant Manager, actually is a good title to have.

you start out as satff. The next line up? A title called MANAGER IN TRAINING. See, the catch is, that this title sticks until you become an Assistant. I had seen a few people who were MIT for 2-3 yrs.

Assistant's do just that, assist the manager in the day to day job. Depending on how many you have, I would guess your lead Assistant, or senior Assistant (those are unofficial names) would be your right hand man/woman. Then you have your manager (me), or at larger complexes, a Managing Director (who's lead Asst is actually called Manager).

That's just Goodrich. We actually used to have a RELIF MANAGER instead of MIT, which sounded a WHOLE lot better.

I'd interviewed with Kerasotes once, and they had some wierd titles too. Yes, they had Assistant, but above that, there was House Manager, then General Manager, and so on.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2000 09:34 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My official title is Managing Member.

Someone called up last week and asked how the Managing Member was.

I responded that the Manager's Member was just fine, thank you.

To the rest of the staff we are just the owners.

We have two Managing Members, two Assistant Managers and the rest are staff.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2000 11:21 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...
Regular staff are:
ST-Store=concessions
CA-Cashier=box
DO-Dorr=ticket taker/usher/projectionist (not all at once!!)

Managers are:
Manager-head honcho guy
Relief Manager-manager on Manager's days off
Assistant Manager-extra help to be plugged in where needed

Now in actuality we really don't have a Relief Manager, the 3 assistants have the Manager's day's off divided up among ourselves.

As far what I call myself:
Theatre God
Assistant Manager
Booth Manager
Projectionist
Slide Manager
Trailer changeout/print build up/tear down guy

Brian Potts
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2000 12:00 AM      Profile for Brian Potts   Email Brian Potts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I did the Assistant Manager thing, I was referred to as Ass Man alot

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2000 07:34 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, you and I need to have a talk-I was in the same situation as you for twelve years before I became a manager. It afforded me the opportunity to learn the booth inside and out, the paperwork, and the expectations of the job. Unlike you, however, this was my only job, and I also didn't have the assistant manager title until two years before I left. I have also been associated with the parent company in one capacity or another(not all theatre)for nearly twenty years! I started out making clam cakes and popcorn and cleaning up dead rats at the Raynham Drive In snack bar.
AMG?? Isn't that a cable channel??
At least in our company, hard work is eventually recognised-titles don't matter; pride in your work and an occasional pat on the back do.

Barron Dripp
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2000 01:39 PM      Profile for Barron Dripp   Email Barron Dripp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when it comes to ground level titles, these are some of my favorites:

Popcorn Pushers
Soda Shovers

When it comes to the management staff at my theatre, it's usually:
The Big Boss, Head Cheese, Head honcho, etc.

For booth level:

Projectionist, film handler, film fumbler (me), mylar magicians, platter people, there are more, but that is enough for now...

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 07-16-2000 02:49 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I myself, am the Assistant District Manager (although we have only ONE district... at the time the District Manager received his title... we knew of nothing better to call him).

But at the theatre level we have:

Theatre Manager - the person IN CHARGE
House Manager - (I have a house manager at MY theatre cause I'm not ALWAYS there) - She runs the place in my absence and makes all the important decisions when my attention is needed elsewhere. (she rules) (she reads this)
Assistant Manager - the person IN CHARGE when the Theatre Manager goes home.

Head Projectionist - the person in charge of keeping the booth supplied and clean. Usually also builds up and breaks down the majority of the movies.
Projectionist - fills in when the Projectionist wants to go hang himself off the marquee.

Then there's FLOOR STAFF - (box, concessions and usher, RARELY a door person.)

------------------
Scott D. Neff
----------------
www.cinema-west.com

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-17-2000 02:20 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My customers call me Dave.

When they ask for the manager, I tell them that I am the operator of this facility, and then they ask for my supervisor, you know, someone in charge.

Then I tell them that I am in fact the second coming of christ, and God is busy right now.

Dave

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2000 01:43 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, how well do you manage your member?

Brian, did you put ASS MAN on your license plate so that you could park in the doctors parking at the hospital?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: