Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Real butter? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Real butter?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-11-2000 05:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, what about popcorn toppings?

For a long time we used Odell's "Butterfat" but on a whim, I tried a sample gallon of Odell's "Supurkist 2" which is much cheaper. We got zero complaints about the change, and about half a dozen compliments about our "better butter," so needless to say we're still using Supurkist 2.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2000 06:05 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Odel's real butter. We think it tastes much better and differenciates us from the competition.

Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2000 10:21 AM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use real butter. And I get an extra 50 cents for it. No complaints because we advertise it as real butter. I have had customers buy up to $2.50 worth to go on an extra large popcorn. Talk about going straight to the arteries!!!
lance

Kenn Fong
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2000 11:15 PM      Profile for Kenn Fong   Author's Homepage   Email Kenn Fong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We too use O'dell's. It's interesting to hear the comments since it doesn't quite look the same as butter you melt at home when it comes out of the dispenser. When asked, I explain -- since none of the concession staff know what "clarified" means -- that it's been clarified with the milk solids removed, because it's the solids that cause butter to go rancid.

------------------
Kenn Fong
qwertyuiop.net
The Screenwriters Home Page

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-01-2000 01:57 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Orville Reddenbachers butter topping, its soy but our customers say it tastes like butter. we go through ungodly amounts of it.

Dave

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 08-01-2000 08:46 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use real butter and let the customers butter their own popcorn. They love it and we use less butter than before and save a huge amount of time behind the counter.

I used Odell's "butterfat" for more than 15 years and it is a good product that doesn't spoil as quickly as butter (which we use way too quickly to spoil). All the other products that don't have "butter" in their name are greasy fat products from known and unknown sources.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2000 09:01 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well over here they use coco-nut olie, and the popcorn tastes reel good with that, i don't think popcorn made with butter will sell over here. It's to 'buttery' or fat i think.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2000 04:37 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin,

We don't pop (cook) popcorn in Butter, that would burn. We use Coconut Oil or Canola Oil. We pour butter over the top of popcorn to enhance the flavor. That way you get a double shot of fat.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2000 01:47 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhh... i see!

Doug Fields
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2000 03:38 AM      Profile for Doug Fields   Email Doug Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use TOPSIT at our theater. However, I would love to use some of the O'Dells products. Does anyone know if it weighs down the popcorn like REAL butter?

------------------
Doug Fields
Union Manager/Operator/Projectionist
Madison Cinema 4
Madison, New Jersey

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2000 07:26 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...Ahhh yes, I am familiar with TOPSIT - we use it at the theater for which I am employed.

We also have POPSIT.

Now, combine having TOPSIT and POPSIT sitting beside each other on a shelf in a backroom, with a concessions attendant in a hurry...
One would hope that even in a hurry, a teenager could at least read the label on the jug they were grabbing... ...alas, it is not always the case!

More than once, we've ended up with POPSIT in the butter-mats ...yuck yuck yuck... It can also leave people feeling a little ill when they've eaten popcorn soaked in POPSIT...

Our jugs of POPSIT are no longer sitting right next to the jugs of TOPSIT.
Problem solved.

~GLB

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2000 10:34 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use the "Superkist Two" also, and I really like it. I eat popcorn every day I work, I never get tired of it, and out of all the toppings I've tried, I like what we use now the best. Plus, its mainly soybean oil, which helps my grandfather the grain farmer. I've never received a complaint about superkist 2. Oh, and don't use canola oil to pop. It makes the building smell like a fish fry is going on.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2000 01:06 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
o_O

Chad...you like popcorn?!
How strange!
I used to like popcorn. Now I'm just plain sick and tired of it. I'll eat it if I'm hungry enough, but the broken up, end-of-the-bag nacho chips are much more appealing nine times out of ten.
There is an exception to my general distaste for popcorn: Smartfood. Its a white cheddar cheese popcorn; a grocery store would be the likeliest place you'd see the stuff.

~Gracia *hey look, I've got a signature now* Babbidge

------------------
In some cultures, what I do is considered normal.

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2000 01:19 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We serve Topsit at my theater.... I normally don't put anything on my popcorn (cuz after using PopAll to pop it, and Flavocal sprinkled on the kernels it's already buttery)... however, this past weekend I actually tried some of the Topsit... ugh. I really didn't like it much. After I finish up this case we have i'm probably going to try real Butter... I wonder if I should poll people after the switch to see if they like it more.

--Chris

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2000 07:26 PM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone use peanut oil for popping?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: