Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Working Holidays/4th of July

Author Topic: Working Holidays/4th of July
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2000 10:10 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I sit here on the 4th of July, bemoaning my very existence and wishing I were at a fireworks display with a jumpy girl who would cling to me after each explosion...

Whoops, get back to the subject.

I have always worked for large chains in competitive markets. We only canceled one show each year. We don't run the last show on Christmas Eve. Do any of you cancel more than this?

I was thinking of no last show on July 4th, Christmas Eve, New Years Eve. I also think it would be cool if we could leave the theatre dark for one day around the holidays, perhaps a Monday in early December. What are your thoughts?

On another related subject. Does anyone pay his or her staff time and a half for holidays? I want to, but I haven't run the numbers yet or decided which holidays. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

I worked all those holidays as a staff member and groused that management didn't pay extra. Now I'm the guy and I am still wrestling the same question.

Two members of my staff didn't show up this evening. But because the attendance declined, they weren't really missed.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2000 11:39 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 4th of July!

Total Attendance = 388

Attendance After Dark = 41

Kenn Fong
Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2000 12:02 AM      Profile for Kenn Fong   Author's Homepage   Email Kenn Fong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, I think you should pay time and a half if for no other reason than to thank anyone loyal enough to show up instead of calling with some some lame excuse.

Otherwise you risk burning out your loyal staff -- who are probably underpaid considering what they could get at other retail outlets or online businesses -- and engendering bitterness.

I wouldn't be working in a movie house at my age except for the fact that I love movies and write them... I was offered twice what I'm getting to work in retail.

kenn

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2000 12:08 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We cancel our 7:00's and 9:00's on Christmas Eve every year. We also cancelled our 9:00's on December 31, 1999, because we couldn't get a staff that wanted to work when the Y2K hit. Most wanted to be out drinking than being afraid of the computers crashing. As to a dark day in early December, how about a dark week! Imagine the maintence I could get done in the booth without rushing to get everything back together by noon. I do most of my work in the mornings. An old manager told me that back in the 1920's and 30's being down a week in November or December was common place for building and machine maintenance. Anybody know if thats true? About time-and-a-half, we never get it and I was told the reasoning is that we are considered seasonal employment and exempt from overtime wages. Anybody know if thats true?

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2000 08:40 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That 'seasonal employment' thing sounds like bull to me for a business operating year round. Check with a Pennsylvania labor board. The laws are different in every state, but I would still think you'd have to get time and a half over forty hours.

Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2000 01:46 PM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We never play evening shows on Christmas Eve, or matinee shows on Chrismas day, But our evening shows on Christmas are usually well attended. When my staff is working on holidays, I am sure to rotate them so no one works every holiday, and for those that do work, always find either lunch or dinner delivered to the theatre right after the first round goes off. But I think they finally figured out who was sending it.
lance

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2000 10:58 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Pennsylvania theatres are exempt from paying overtime!

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 10:57 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many states that are exempt from paying overtime in the 'entertainment industry'. This translates down to movie theatres, amusement parks and other venues.

I can't agree with it, but it's the way it is. I recall not long ago UA got socked with a state or federal judgement aginst them for failing to pay overtime to a theatre employee. I don't recll the specifics of the ruling, but I do recall reading it in the local paper andthinking what if it happened to us here....??

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 02:41 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talk about a working holiday: Fox is giving you a double shot for New Year's Day.

Antwone Fisher goes national on 1/1 from its "Oscar Bait" opening at Xmas. Just Married has a sneak preview on New Year's Night.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 03:48 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Due to the underperforming of "Antwone Fisher," Fox is greatly scaling back it's rollout of the movie. For instance, all Kansas City market playdates for 1/1 were pulled.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2002 11:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like I used to work every holiday under the sun when I worked in TV. Since becomming a film technician I have had most holidays off, with only an occasional emergency call thrown in to remind me of the good ole days.
Mark

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2002 09:05 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike S: Thanks for correcting me. Fox has moved the national break of Antwone Fisher back to 1/10.

Oh, well, a quiet New Year's Day . . . then About Schmidt (possibly Chicago, too) on 1/3 and a pile-up on 1/10.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 12-28-2002 02:51 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This year I worked the 4th of July, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Presidents Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, went in Christmas Day but got sent home by the other manager due to snow (I had a longer drive), I'm working New Years Eve, and New Years Day. There are probably more but I can't think of them. I think I figured out pretty much every holiday except Christmas Eve. [Smile] Don't you love this industry!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: