Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Candy Selections-What's Hot? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Candy Selections-What's Hot?
Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2000 08:44 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I was just curious as to which candies were best sellers at other theatres. I recall a time when Twizzlers just flew off the shelf-now we're lucky if we sell 10 a week. Do certain products sell better regionally? Reeses Pieces and Sour Patch Kids are my best sellers currently. Is anyone selling those Cookie Dough Bites-how do they sell? We did away with bulk candy around the beginning of the year and put in quarter vending machines that make more in two days than the bulk made in a month. Does anyone have any success with bulk? Brad, do Sno-Caps sell especially well in Colorado?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2000 12:11 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH MY! Talk about bringing up bad memories! BULK CANDY..Who ever thought of that system we had should be shot!We had to weigh everything before we started, when we ended, and it was the worst. People would put the candy in a bag and the worst thing was telling them how much it cost! Of course the sign said (in large numbers) $1.75! and then in tiny little letters, it would say, per quarter pound! Then at the end of the night, we would have to clean the bottom thingy that collects the candy that falls out from the containers! What a mess. The Quarter candy machines are much better! But now they want us to make and sell Cotton Candy! I'll let you know how that goes...

Barron Dripp
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2000 05:24 PM      Profile for Barron Dripp   Email Barron Dripp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure what you mean by cookie dough bites, but we sell little cups of candy cookie dough called Cookie Fun. They are only 2.5 oz, but people buy them...for 1.25 a piece (tax incl) They do taste good, but I wouldn't buy them for that much.
Company Discription: Cookie Fun are the newest craze in candy fads. It combines the great tastes of Cookie Dough from the tube and puts it into a convient 2.5 oz tub with a handy wooden scoop...
Yeah...

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 06-30-2000 05:24 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jr. Mints - regular and frozen!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-30-2000 10:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even know if Sno Caps are sold here in Colorado. I haven't been a "theater manager" for some time now. When I was, Milk Duds was the biggie. However, I agree with Paul that the inventor of bulk candy should be shot. That was far more trouble than it was worth, not to mention just plain nasty.

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2000 06:43 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sno(w)-Caps/Colorado thing was a bad joke.
Bulk candy, besides being wasteful and unsanitary, just doesn't work in this environment. I agree with Paul that weighing the bins is a pain in the ass, and apart from a few things like red fish and sour patch, it just doesn't sell. We really do make more money with the quarter machines.
Cotton Candy???? As much as I love the stuff, and believe that it should be one of the food groups, I wouldn't want to sell it in my theatre. Sticky door handles, seats, rugs-everything.
I'd like to try something different at the concession-ten years ago if you had told me we'd be selling tons of nachos, I would have laughed. The Next Big Thing I'm sure is right around the corner.
Those little tubs of cookie dough do sound interesting. It's amazing what kids will eat; just look at Sour Patch Kids.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-01-2000 12:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when Sour Patch Kids were introduced. A fellow exhibitor at a trade fair asked me, "Have you tasted those Sour Patch Kids yet? They taste like SHIT.....the kids will LOVE 'em!"

Our best sellers here are Jr. Mints, Reeses Pieces, Dots (regular sells best), almost anything "gummi," (worms are really popular), Swedish Fish, Sour Patch Kids, Red Vines, Twizzlers; Reeses Peanut Butter Cups in the 4-pack, M&Ms (plain sells best), Raisinets.

We used to sell tons of the Hot Tamales/Mike & Ike etc. line, but they're not that popular anymore.

Is anyone using Nacho Cheese in those portion packs? How does that work out? Do you microwave them or keep in a warmer?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-02-2000 12:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering the number of screens that have been replaced because of kids throughing them at it I think the folks who make GUMMY BEARS have shares in screen companies

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2000 10:40 AM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best new candy I've seen since Sour Patch Kids is (Nuclear Sqworms) Advertised as "Sour Neon Gummi Worms" looks like multicolored worms and the kids go wild for them. Promotion in Motion handles or makes the Nuclear Sqworms candy. We are using the portion pack nacho cheese and we use a small warming cabinet for heating. The cost is higher than dipped cheese, but the ease or lack of clean up, no waste and portion control is well worth the higher price

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2000 01:08 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Speaking of Cotton Candy, Anyone else sell this stuff? We havent started to sell it yet but I was wondering what the "Mess Factor" was with it?? Any Experiences with it?? Good, Bad or anything!

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2000 01:56 PM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul:

Tried the cotton candy deal several years ago without success. We had a string that ran over the top of the concession stand and bagged the candy in plastic bags and hung them on the string. You could hear the kids go by saying "Mommy, I want cotton candy" and the mommy saying "No, it's too messy." I suggest you do a trial with rented equipment before leaping into the cotton candy business. Good Luck!

David Koegel
Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2000 07:22 AM      Profile for David Koegel   Email David Koegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's been a while since I last had something to contribute to a forum on Film-Tech. I agree with Tom Ferreira about the importance of Cotton Candy in one's daily diet. That's one food item that I've never grown tired of. In fact, I won one a commercial machine on eBay. But why would you want one, you ask? You know: now that I'm an adult, I can have any toy I want

Anyhow, after a few times running the machine in my kitchen, I've permanently banned it from inside the house. The worst part is the fine sugar fibers that fly everywhere. When they find a landing spot, they begin to absorb moisture from the air and permanently attach themselves. You can't vacuum or sweep up the mess. And while sugar normally dissolves readily in water, this stuff defies easy cleaning. It requires a very slow rub with a very wet rag to get the sticky stuff up.

And making it? I've given up on trying to learn how to make those nice round puffs you get at the carnival, ones that are full of air and look nice. The air part is important, as you'll otherwise end up making a very heavy puff and greatly reducing your profit.

I love the stuff (obviously -- I mean, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in my city that has their own machine at home), but I wouldn't recommend making it in a place that you'd like to keep clean. Of course, you'll also have quite a challenge finding an employee that wants to be sugar-coated after just a very short time making the stuff.

And I'm sure I don't have to explain the fun mess that's made when you eat the stuff. Then again, that butter-like stuff on popcorn (another important food group) is pretty messy, too, but you all know that, right

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2000 07:48 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I discovered a product in the supermarket this week called Fluffy Stuff by Charms. It is a packaged cotton candy that actually has the taste and texture of the real thing. This stuff is probably sellable without the production mess, but it's still going to lead to sticky seats. I'm just happy they have something new in the supermarket for those quick meals between matinee and evening shows!

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2000 05:51 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

"Fluffy Stuff by Charms", huh Tom. And they put what in the water in Claremont?

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2000 07:26 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Water?!?!?!
I only drink Pepsi products.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: