Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Ticketing and concession systems (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ticketing and concession systems
Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2000 08:44 PM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own a three screen first run and use the old reliable automaticket machines. While manual ticket logs are affordable with this size operation, The desire to find a reasonably priced point of sale system is there. What are others using and what are the pro's and con's? And the price?
Thanks Brad, this is a forum that a lot of us needed!!!
lance

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-18-2000 10:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sell the Sensible Cinema Ticketing system and have had great luck with it. It's a DOS based program(soon to be available in Windows version too) and is very stable and can even be run on a 386 PC. Its extremely versitle and inexpensive as compared to other megabuck ticketing systems. It also does all your paperwork for you, is easy to set up initally at the start of a new week. This is an ideal system for say up to 8 to 10 screens and not more than 4 terminals. I reccomend 2 terminals and a managers computer for the program to reside in and to do your reporting from. We run it in Win 98 DOS Prompt with out any problems. Win 98 is easy to network and also relatively stable and can be made to boot up in a hurry(22 sec or less). I do however reccomend APU's at each computer to avoid data loss in case of a line blip or outage!! Small APU's are fine and will allow you to close out before they run out of juice. If you are interested I can put you in touch with several customers that have bought them. Just contact me at the e-mail below.
Regards,
Mark
mark@getgts.com

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 06-19-2000 01:15 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Tim Harvey Ticketing from Theatre Support Services out of Florida. The programmer Jerry Chase is very helpful and has done a world of good for us here at Cinema West.

Everything is VERY simple and easy to figure out. It'll run on a 486 -- and it's SOOO simple to close... just enter your figures and hit "G" and away it prints --- all your necessary reports. Makes training managers a snap.

check it out - www.theatresupport.com

Or e-mail me if you have questions.

ops@cinema-west.com

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2000 01:56 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We here at Carmike use the IQ-0 system. It's called IQ-0 becuase you don't need an IQ higher than that to operate. Good thing, considering this is Carmike . Anyhow, it made by Logical Solutions Inc out of Georgia. The messageing aspect of the system (for sending messages to other theatres, offices, etc) is kind of klunkly, but the rest is easy to use. I don't know if LSI sells these exclusively to Carmike or not.

Brian Grojean
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2000 06:25 PM      Profile for Brian Grojean   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Grojean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work at AMC Cantera 30, and we recently ugraded from the TIMS/CATS system, to the Radiant System. At first, Radiant had A LOT of bugs, but this was basically Radiants first shot at a faster theatre set up. Right now Inventory and Cash Handling is a breeze and box office transactions average around 10 seconds to 20 seconds. The only problem that is still buggin us is the VISANET, It doesn't crash during high usage but for som odd reason it crashes at the slowest times. It's only done it twice in the past six monthes. Radiant is worth it. It's pretty expensive, but your theatres will run much faster and your lines will stay short. Oh yeah... the average concession sales transaction time.... 35 seconds to 50 seconds... They are that quick! I love em'.

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2000 12:26 AM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few of our smaller theatres are using Tim Harvey, but I haven't really seen them yet.

I use Theatron at my location, and a few Y-2k issues not withstanding, it seems to work pretty well. Almost all of our problems have been hardware related. The Y-2k stuff is fixed.

The tickets are thermally printed (ink being one less thing that the cashier can run out of) and the printers are fast.

Just try not to use colored ticket stock as it can eventually gum up the Boca Mini-Ghost printers for some reason.

Reports are easy to teach. You basically answer the questions on shut down. Weekly boxoffice reports are automatic (provided the film opened on a Friday, but the manual Wednesdays aren't that bad).

Give my boss (Greg Pauley) a couple of weeks to try the Tim Harvey system and he will be able to tell you about it.

Anyone still using the original Pacer systems? Talk about needing a PHD!!

Russ

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2000 09:10 AM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lance:

Starting the 3rd day of using Tim Harvey Ticketing system at a four-plex. So far the software has worked properly. I had a older 486 computer lying around that we installed the software on and had to purchase a printer for the test. You really can't go wrong with this system because the company will allow you to try the software for 90 days free. You can use a thermal printer which is expensive or use a dot matrix printer. I was a little skeptical about using a dot matrix printer and tractor feed tickets, but the special tickets (skinny elephant) work fine. I would not install this system into a major multiplex, but is a great option for a 2,4 or six plex that can't afford a $30,000 computer system. I don't want to tell you what I was quoted for the software, but it sound like you are in a smaller market like we are and if you have an older computer lying around you can get the box office software and printer for under 1500.00.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 06-25-2000 03:46 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Sensible Cinema in our 5 plex in Santa Rosa. It's great - very fast and easy for the staff to use. We are a cash only operation, so we don't have to worry about credit cards and all that.

For small exhibitors looking into ticketing and concession systems there are essentially three small systems our there - each developed by an indie theatre owner with years of experience. They are Sensible Cinema, Ready Theatre Systems and Tim Harvey Ticketing. There is an excellent discussion of all three systems on Jeff Knoll's Motion Picture Exhibitor Forum www.delphi.com/exhibitor/start

This topic has been discussed in great detail on that forum and I would recommend it as a resource for anyone with interest in ticketing systems.

Of course if money is no object than there are tons of systems, but that's another story.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 06-25-2000 10:50 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 10 theatres in our company.

5 with TIM HARVEY
1 with THEATRON
4 with PACER!!!

Acck -- thank GOD I haven't had to train new managers on Pacer in a LONG LONG time!

------------------
Scott D. Neff
----------------
www.cinema-west.com

Greg Borr
Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2000 08:38 AM      Profile for Greg Borr   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Borr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ready Theatre Systems offers an economically priced Windows based software program for theatres. Includes Box Office, Concessions, Inventory, Time Clock, Graphical Show Scheduler, and more.

You can visit us on the web @ www.rts-solutions.com

Franklin Armstrong
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2003 03:14 AM      Profile for Franklin Armstrong   Email Franklin Armstrong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have PACER at my theater the only problem i have is the staff not being smart ... they turn the switch off on the keyboard

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 01-25-2003 11:54 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Omni-Term and it works OK, but there are a few things about it that suck. Being sort of a programmer myself, I can see that this product was likely developed by at least 2 teams that didn't communicate well. The box office is a breeze to run, as are the film scheduling features. Concession sales aren't bad either. The thing that sucks is at the end of the night the manager has to do the usual variety of things such as cash drawer lifts, entering in final inventory, etc, and they have decided to use several different "GO" keys in the process. When entering in your final inventory counts you just cruise through the list of items with the page down key, enter the new count and hit enter. But if you go to enter in damaged items, restocks, shipments, etc you need to press enter and then press F7 to complete each item. I have had people, including myself, enter a whole shipment and not have it show up in inventory because I forgot to press F7 after each item. The other annoying aspect is that once you close your day, say oh shit I forgot something, and want to fix it there is NO way to go in there and fix it. I'm not talking about security procedures to keep unscrupulous managers from messing with the books, I'm taking not even God can go in there and change something once you close the day... then we end up hand writing the missing information onto the reports, which is very aggrevating. I do think ther terminals and box office POS system are very nice to use thoug.

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2003 01:37 PM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have RTS ( Ready Theater Systems ) in our little theater and it has proven to be perfect for what we do. I like the fact you can sell tickets and concession from the same station.

Buck Kolkmeyer
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2003 11:22 AM      Profile for Buck Kolkmeyer   Email Buck Kolkmeyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing we do when we take over a theatre is remove whatever ticketing system is there and install RTS. We currently use RTS it it 16 locations from a single screen drive-in to an 11-plex. Rob and Greg are very responsive to our needs. They are computer people that know the theatre business and its idiosyncracies.

When we decided to use RTS in the drive-in, they designed a report that showed cars (transactions) and car averages (people per car). Its like having your own in-house programmers that actually understand what you are talking about. Next year we are installing a wireless remote so that our box office will communicate with our concession stand.

This is an affordable, reliable system. I don't see why anybody is still using machine tickets when this system gives you all the ticketing flexibility you will ever need and concession inventory to boot.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-26-2003 11:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buck,
RTS is now ancient junk. Try the new Sensible Cinema Ticketing and Concession system for windows. It pretty much blows the pants off everything else out there. It runs in XP, or 2000 in true 32 bit, hence never bogs down.....with as many terminals as you want to run. It'll interface directly with large LED displays, and includes all the usual thermal printer drivers, and pole display options you could ever use.
I did a huge system in Aspen,CO. and its been great. That customer just installed another system in Whistler, BC. It does concessions and ticketing and all the normal paperwork. As a big plus it interfaces directly with VISA to do a CC transaction in less than 12 seconds. Don't know another system that can do that. Sorry Brian, this system runs rings around Radiant!
We have a number of other systems going in soon. The cost is also far less!! That should interest you alot!
Ky, Are you using the older DOS version of Sensible Cinema, or the new Windows version? The new windows version is amazing to say the least....you should take a look at it if you're not using that version. It goes way past Tim Harvey, RTS, and most of those systems costing 50 to 100 grand or more......meaning that money is no longer an object to be of concern......you can have a ticketing system with all the performance for pennies comparitively.
Mark @ CLACO
www.clacoequipment.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: