Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Author Topic: Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)
Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-03-2019 05:16 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really want to go see this movie, but the wife is a big fan of T1 and T2. Besides that, this movie apparently got the thumbs up from James Cameron himself. So, last night was the seventh time this year I visited a commercial movie theater... still an absolute low, compared with 60 visits just last year.

To cut it short: Terminator: Dark Fate is the worst movie I've seen all year long and I'm not the only one to agree on that one apparently. We left during the theater-staged intermission and we didn't feel we missed one little bit.

This movie represents everything that's wrong with Hollywood and why, if things don't change rapidly, it's simply doomed to crash not within 5 years but within the next year and a half. Maybe I should've left once it read "In association with Tencent Pictures".

This movie wasn't made for "us", this movie was made for the Chinese. If they like this kind of drivel, then be my guest, but then simply hire an all-Chinese cast and make the prime language mandarin and don't bother us with this shit.

I usually tend to warn for spoilers, but there are none really. John Connor gets killed in the first two minutes of the movie, by another Terminator, because Skynet sent multiple Terminators. Never mind what really happened in T2. A giant FU right in your face, right there.

What we then get is literally a lame, reheated T2 plot. A terminator and an almost-terminator come from the future, to save the future protagonist. Even the truck-chase scene is there... yeah, that's it.

Well, the ending might be different, but by that time, we were so fed up with boredom and anger, we couldn't stand it anymore and left.

The CGI is one of the worst I've seen in such a high budget movie. James Cameron, wtf happened here?

Also, the soundtrack is as lame as the rest of the movie, they didn't even bother to look back at the epic T2 score. It's just generic B-movie drivel.

So, there we are, in 2019. The Terminator Trilogy we hoped to get will probably never be. They tried four (!!!) times and every time the result was worse than the last. Maybe it's time to end the cash grabs, before stuff finally implodes and takes the good of T1 and T2 with it.

|  IP: Logged

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2019 07:54 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We watched what we could of the new 'Terminator' film last Friday across the bay at the AMC Emery Bay Theatre on their so called Dolby Cinema® screen. You pay way extra and have blue aisle and overhead lights shine all the way in every dark part of the movie on the right and left parts of the small screen they put in here. The cinema has so much dust in the air you can see It through the blue light beams.

I mainly went for the sound in 'Terminator' not all the same repeat action parts that they never kill the killer off, he keeps coming back over and over.

I must admit the stereo split Dolby Atmos® bass sound track on 'Terminator Dark Fate' was very impressive in this cinema that never should have been turned into Dolby Cinema®. It's always a big problem when you have a exit to the right of the screen as the image won't be that wide.

The worst that they bring old Arnold in way past the middle of the movie. At first I thought I was watching a Mexican movie with all the subtitles. Just action over and over, the Atmos® seat speakers here do get a workout with this new 'Terminator' movie.

If you really need to see this film in a AMC Dolby Cinema® in the SF Bay Area skip the AMC Emery Bay Theatre go over to the big AMC Metreon in San Francisco, they did put in a nice wide super scope Dolby Cinema® curved screen in SF not like the small 1.85 not curved much screen over in Emeryville CA.

You won't see a nice video image with 'Terminator' images on the Dolby Cinema® entry hall screens when you enter the small space at the AMC Emery Bay Theatre just a dark hall. Shame on AMC & Dolby for doing a bad small install just to get extra money from East Bay movie goers. The AMC Emery Bay has a IMAX screen also showing the new 'Terminator' movie and the screen is almost the same small size but at least you won't see blue light leaking on the screen.

The Terminator film like so many does not end well, Arnold needed to open his one electric eye and say 'I'll Be Back'!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-03-2019 06:11 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terminator 4 ('Salvation', with Christian Bale and Sam Worthington) wasn't a bad sequel at all. I wish they had connected to that one for a new flic.

- Carsten

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2019 08:09 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Salvation was pretty good too.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-03-2019 08:18 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Compared to this movie, Salvation was at least watchable, but the same was, to some extend, true for Terminator 3, which had a lot of rehash, but also some good moments.

Still, nothing got ever close to Terminator 2 and nothing ever will, simply because the time to deliver a solid Terminator 3 has long since passed. Other movies have long since done almost anything they could've done with it. For example, we've had The Matrix in 1999, which took the concept of machines taking over the world to an entirely new level.

If James Cameron would've decided to go all-in for T3 instead of Titanic, then we may have gotten a T3 that really connected to the first two, both emotional and thematic. All that's left is franchise re-heat and given that this movie already bombed on the opening weekend, it looks like people in the U.S. are pretty much fed up with the franchise.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: