Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » JUDY

Author Topic: JUDY
Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2019 10:14 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new film 'JUDY' about Judy Garland opened up first run this past Friday 9/27 in Santa Cruz CA at the Landmark 4 Plex Nickelodeon Theatre.

Played in Theatre #1 their largest screen in this tiny beach city cinema art space.

They had a nice crowd for the first showing at 1:45PM Friday with mainly a older crowd. I was a little jumpy when I first entered the cinema as the masking was set for 1.85 flat. I knew the 'Judy' movie was shot in wide scope. All the pre show dull Landmark things were shown in 1.85 but at last when the trailers started the magic masking motors came on and the screen opened a few feet to full scope. I was relieved like in so many other theatres in the past on a opening first time showing I did not have to go look for someone to adjust the screen for scope.

The 'Judy' movie I thought was very well done with the last year of Miss Garlands rocky life. Nice color and rich stereo sound. Renee Zellwegar did a wonderful job playing 'Judy' on stage and off in London in 1968. She died 6 months after the London shows. I think we are looking at a best actress award coming for the Oscars? While I am not such a Judy Garland fan, the movie moved me and I don't think there was a dry eye in the house at the end of the movies last 10 minute segment.

The family of Miss Garland did not want to have anything to do with the filming of this movie about their famous mother. I don't think they wanted 'Renee' to play the roll, but she was great with all the mannerisms Judy Garland had. Renee did all the singing, they did not dub in Judy's voice. While no one can duplicate Garlands voice Zellwegar was ok and It worked for most of the songs. Seems in the SF Bay Area the film newspaper critics did not like the singing by Miss Zellwegar but they liked the movie on this tragic singer who died so early in life.

The directors and writers missed the boat on the end credits. Like many movies about past music talent that have long gone they did not use any clips or dates from original 'Judy Garland' music like rare footage of 'Judy' when she sang at the 'Talk Of The Town' in London or real b&w news footage of her arriving at clubs,TV shows ect the last year of her life. The audience just left with a tear in their eye I think wanting a little more of 'Judy'? Maybe the people that have the Garland film rights did not want It used in this new film who knows. Try to play It for the seniors in your area if you are a theatre owner.

The 'Judy' movie has not opened full yet and mainly just in a few art cinemas in the SF Bay Area but I think word will spread especially with the older audience that remembered 'Judy Garland' in her prime that will come out to see It. Play her music when people are coming in and when they exit after the credits. Show a few video stills of the classic 'Miss Garland' on the curtains or screen. Do something special if you have a small cinema as the large multiplex places that may run 'Judy' are not going to play Garland music at all!

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: