Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Downton Abby (2019)

Author Topic: Downton Abby (2019)
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2019 12:13 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theatre: AMC Rockaway Square Mall, Rockaway NJ

I am not quite sure why AMC put this in their Dolby Cinema auditorium, as the movie is not in DolbyVision or ATMOS sound (or at least I could see or hear no evidence of either). However, the powered recliners were very comfy.

My girlfriend wanted to buy popcorn and a soda but after waiting in a non moving line for 20 minutes while ALL the servers were taking paid "stubs" customers ahead of everyone else, she gave up and left the line. I already new this happens, and will no longer attempt to buy anything at an AMC concession stand.

No complaints about the presentation, but this trend of letterboxing "scope" movies with no top/bottom masking does make me want to wait for the Bluray.

As to the movie, I like it. Those who liked the TV show will like the movie. Those who did not like the show, or never saw it, will not like or be bored by the movie. It is essentially a long last episode that brings closure to most of the plot lines of the series.

The movie ended not with an MPAA rating code, but with a white screen after the Carnival Films logo that was titled "Active Desktop Recovery" and a bunch of suggestions on how to get the server to work again. Way to go AMC. I guess this is the digital equivalent of letting the film run out on screen.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2019 08:50 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Jacob Burns Film Center, Pleasentville, New York.

It’s 1927, and King George V and Queen Mary (grandparents of the current Queen) decide to get out among the peasants and doss for a night with Lord and Lady Grantham at Downton Abbey. They bring their own servants and chef with them wherever they go, though, and that causes some bad feelings and thoughts of insurrection among Mrs. Patmore, Mrs. Hughes and the rest of the downstairs help, who have to surrender their territory for the length of the visit. Meanwhile, Lady Edith is faced with some glad tidings, bad timing, and a too-big ballgown, Tom Branson finds himself swimming in it, Anna Bates finds a thief, and Lord Grantham finds out he is going lose a huge inheritance to his wealthy cousin’s maid, which just isn’t done, you see.

This was a pretty disappointing picture for a long-time fan of the TV show, the plot is pretty trivial and adds very little to the whole Crawley family saga. The film’s pacing is odd too, it starts out going like a Looney Toons one-reeler before stopping dead in the middle for a parade for the King, at which point you should feel free to go to the john. It picks up a bit, but it descends into silliness before a short piece of drama at the end, where a major character makes it plain she won’t be back for a sequel. This was one of my all-time favorite television shows and really, any of the series episodes are more interesting.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2019 02:43 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our group enjoyed the new film very much. On the end credits It did say Dolby Atmos® Not much split surround at all.

Playing on the large screen #1 with curtains at the Drafthouse New Mission Theatre in San Francisco CA to a sold out crowd tonight Sat Sept 21. A great treat to see this film with the seats full and many people in the audience dressed in late 1920 outfits. The bar area was like going back to 1927!

I liked the story and thought It flowed well. Sorry to have It end after over 2 hours. I think with the opening boxoffice take $ going to be big come Sunday night we may see in a few years another episode coming and watching the movie you could see things developing for the future.

The 'New Mission' always has a great 30mn pre show before the main feature starts. Some great edited 'D Abby' shorts ect. The only problem here in SF the sound is so low for the pre show part in a packed cinema like tonight you can't hear the sound well.
When the trailers and main feature come on the big scope screen the sound is at a good level. .

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-26-2019 02:52 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never watched the television series (haven't actually watched television at all in over 25 years) so I guess I'm not the target audience for this movie.

Ghawd, what a yawner.

However, I will say that it's the first time I've ever seen a plumber arrive to fix the boiler while wearing a three-piece suit!

This movie wasn't high on my list of things I wanted to play, but enough old ladies asked me when it's coming I figured I should play it. Unfortunately, there was hardly anyone at last night's show. Maybe it will pick up a bit during the rest of this week. Wouldn't be the first time I've had lots of people ask about a movie who didn't bother to come and see it when I got it in, though.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2019 07:04 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this film. It was okay. Nothing special though.

Mike

James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2019 09:13 PM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie means more if you were a fan of the show. I am and I enjoyed it pretty well. Helps to have a connection with all of the characters after a few years.

quote: Frank Cox
Unfortunately, there was hardly anyone at last night's show.
I'm also suffering from the same thing. Had people calling constantly since about a week before release date up until last night when we finally were able to get it. I also had one of the best responses on Facebook since Endgame and Lion King and I got nothin' but crickets here. [uhoh]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: