Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Lion King (2019)

Author Topic: The Lion King (2019)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-06-2019 10:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this was the movie I most anticipated for the summer of '19, and while I can't say I was disappointed all that much, I wasn't overwhelmed with liking it either, like I was with its director's last Disney film, 2016's The Jungle Book.

I suppose that's because the original Lion King is one of my all-time favorite movies, and Disney's original animated Jungle Book is not. I mean, I thought it was, until we watched it not long after watching Jon Favreau's remake. In that case, the original pales in comparison. In the case of The Lion King, the original is the better of the two...in all respects except the animation of the animals.

But those animals are probably the biggest problem with this movie. As a lot of reviewers have pointed out, taking the "cartoon" out of this cartoon robs the animals of most of their expressiveness. I mean, an angry lion looks pretty much the same as a happy lion...Simba can't just bust into a huge grin, the way he could in the original.

The realistic landscape certainly looks, uh, realistic, but there again...the cartoon world looks better, because of the feeling behind it. When you see Pumbaa and Timon's adopted home in the original, it looks like absolute paradise compared to Pride Rock; you could see why Simba would definitely want to live there. In this movie it just looks like an area with a little better scenery or something.

Most of the actors do a credible job, but you just can't top Jeremy Irons' "Scar" in the original film. James Earl Jones sounds kind of wooden in this version, and Donald Glover's Simba has much less of the boyish charm brought by Matthew Broderick in the original.

A lot of lines are lifted whole from the 1994 version, and some of the new writing sounds seriously 2019 "woke," as in "I will not be made to feel ashamed of who I am".... come on, could a writer come up with anything less natural sounding than that?

Some (but not all) of the music seems a little better this time, especially the new song "Spirit" that Beyonce belts out when she and Simba are returning to Pride Rock. "Circle of Life" and "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" get nice remakes, although Beyonce goes a little bonkers with a few thousand extra notes in the melody, as all singers today are required by law to do. Beyonce proves beyond a doubt that as an actor, she shouldn't quit her singing job.

"Be Prepared" is shortened in the name of political correctness (supposedly the hyena people were upset with their favorite animal being THAT mean), and "Hakuna Matata" is given a lesser reading than in the animated version. The hilarious short tune sung by Timon and Pumbaa to distract the hyenas just before the final battle is gone altogether, although the joke they replaced it with works better in this context.

Elton John has a new song, "Never Too Late," featuring an African percussion section behind him, that's the catchiest thing he's come out with in at least 15 years. I've gone home humming it pretty much nightly.

Overall it left me with a kind of hollow feeling like there was an unmet potential. But I still got chills from the opening and closing and "Can You Feel the Love Tonight," same as I did with the original. So I guess, three out of five stars. I was hoping for at least four.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2019 08:51 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
while technically amazing, the animators seemed to forgot to add any facial expressions - the emotion felt very detached and never resonated for me.

other than Timon and Pumbaa, i thought the voice acting was inconsistent and very blah - Glover sounded bored, Chiwetel's Scar was just cringe inducing.

a 'C' grade from me

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-14-2019 09:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Goeldner
the animators seemed to forgot to add any facial expressions
Well yeah, that's a problem with realistic animals....they don't really HAVE facial expressions, especially not like we're used to seeing on animated animals.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: